Tapatalk, Play Store: Boo

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
So all-of-a-sudden I'm seeing an advert in the middle of my "participated" listing. What the...? Turns out it was inserted by Tapatalk. I don't think so! Off I go to give Tapatalk a less-than-stellar rating on the Play Store, before uninstalling it, only to discover you have to sign up to Google+ to rate apps now. Not doin' *that*, either.

Jim

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I agree, I noticed the latest version had that on some forums, including this one. I had an older version backed up so I rolled back.

I know most of the sister forums to this one that the ads have disappeared, I sent an email to the big droids to check to see if it was something they did to make it go away, and if they would do it for this forum.

Alterntiavely you can check out the Android Tablet Forum app which is a version of Tapatalk that is modified to only work with this forum. Check it out here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkat.activity

Also, no ads on this one.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I agree, I noticed the latest version had that on some forums, including this one. I had an older version backed up so I rolled back.
How do you rollback? Using the browser on my tablet on this forum is exceedingly painful.

I wouldn't mind if there was a payfor version of Tapatalk for a couple bucks or so. I'm not opposed to people making money off their efforts. I am, however, fed up with being incessently marketed-to. I find stealth marketing like Tapatalk added to be particularly obnoxious.

(I would have left these comments similar to the above on Tapatalk's Play Store page were it not for Google's vain attempt to coerce me into re-signing up for G+. Shot themselves in the foot, with me, on that stunt, did Google. I was considering re-signing up before they pulled that stunt. Now? It'll be a cold day in hell.)

Alterntiavely you can check out the Android Tablet Forum app which is a version of Tapatalk that is modified to only work with this forum.
Funny thing about that: When I used to use that it could crash my launcher. That's one reason I switched to Tapatalk in the first place.

Jim

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I had a backup of it through Titanium Backup.
Ah. No such luck, here. Guess that means I won't be using androidtablets.net much from my... tablet. (Not that I was ever all that active, here, anyway, but still: The irony...)

I'm becoming increasingly less tolerant of advert-polluted apps.

Jim

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Anyone having this issue is encouraged to go here and post about it so that maybe we can get it changed: Change in advertisement delivery? | Tapatalk Support
Complaint posted there. Thanks for the link.

I have to tell y'all: My experiences with the Android universe over the last 18 months have been anything but encouraging. I've already decided I'm unlikely ever to obtain an Android-based "smart"phone. I'm on the cusp of returning a new Galaxy Tab 2 due to broken Samsung software and customer support. Now this stuff
shake.gif

Jim

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
It's beginning to look like Tapatalk's method of dealing with the complaints of paying customers is to ignore them.

Jim

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Yup, that's their business model. Tapatalk and Quoord Systems Limited is history, for me. Wish I would've known how disreputable they were before I paid for Tapatalk.

Jim

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Here's how to retain your reputation and customers. Last night I did "Report a problem -> Request a refund" on the app. Told Google I realized it was probably too late for a refund, but I would like Tapatalk to disappear from my list of apps, as I'd never use a Quoord Systems app ever again (and why). Much to my delight: This morning I received an answer: Google Play would refund my purchase price.

Props to Google Play.

ETA: About an hour ago "winter," at Tapatalk, finally deigned to respond to me. Coincidence?

Jim

Last edited: