Telechips TCC8902 Based 'Apad' Now Available, Witnessed Doing Pinch Zoom on Video

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010

We finally have a low-cost Android tablet supporting pinch zoom, as you can see for yourself on this Youtube video by Pandawill. This device is equipped with a resistive touchpanel, supporting up to two touch points.

This is a 7" generic Android 2.1 tablet from Shenzhen, based on the Telechips TCC8902 platform, with the usual 256MB of RAM and up to 1080p video playback support. This is the same platform used in the Augen Gentouch.

It also has a built-in front facing camera and microphone, supporting video recording and pictures. However, it is unclear at this point whether or not it supports video chat. It is also supposed to ship with Android Market. While it does have a g-sensor, we don't expect it to work properly within applications. The first batch became available only recently.

It currently uses the same plastic shell used for the Rockchip RK2808a based Apad iRobot. The shell is probably made by the same factory. The Rockchip RK2808a based Apad iRobot has been one of the most popular generic Android tablets in recent months.

While the current batch is not shipping with HDMI, but the feature is expected to be added with newer batches with a slightly modified casing.

When production stabilizes, this will have price point and features to be one of the top competitors in the low-end Android tablet market.

Pandawill is listing each unit at $177.99US, combined with free shipping and one year warranty and available now. Taobao pricing is currently from 1100 to 1200RMB ($170US). It is also available at Merimobiles as the Moonse E7002.

Shanzhaiben refers to a group at haipad.net for wholesale orders.

Gallery (from Shanzhaiben)
utVOs.jpg

qFEDg.jpg

Layout (HiApad)
DiNrg.png

Sources:
Shanzhaiben Article 1, Article 2
QQ Li Xin from HiApad.com

H.P.

Aug 13, 2010
Xaueious, do you know if this dual-touch screen is an additive layer that will be available in other brands?

Also, what's your opinion of the stability of this as versus the MIDX5/6 (called the Gpad "G10" on Pandawill). Are the various extra HW features properly supported in firmware?

I prefer the G10's shell for its front-facing buttons, even though it lacks some of the features. But more important is the FW stability and the progress of the dev team to get bugs fixed and to move to 2.2.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I have no idea about stability because I never had one in my hands. Both are really just first batch/revision devices, and are bound to have issues. The HSG does seem better supported at the moment. At least that device is firmware upgradable.

The resistive pinch zoom panel is a milestone though. It paves the way for other similar devices.

helfrez

Aug 16, 2010
I actually have one of these units that arrived today if there are any specific questions I could help answer.