Tethering

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Im having the same issue. Tried to run the pdanet tablet app and says paired but it doesnt say connected. Im using a photon and the a500 3.2 somebody please help. Is there a way to get the tethering to work without having to root the tablet?

Read the entire thread, all 11 pages. Its in there somewhere.
The new PDAnet will do this without rooting anything.

Yela57

Dec 3, 2011
i have read all the pages and it seems that people that have had success have been using a n acer a500 with 3.1 or earlier. i have 3.2 and the only success story i have seen is if u can root the device and change a supplicant file or something like that. i have never used command prompts so unless there is a oneclick root or something like that available i feel like im stuck

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Hey, tethering folks on this thread:

Acer updates to 3.2.1 are starting to roll in in the USA tonight (12/20). You may want to see if this includes the Ad-Hoc tethering capability so that you could tether unrooted devices to phones that only offer ad-hoc.

I'd test it myself, but my Nexus One offers real Infrastructure access point, no lame ad-hoc stuff.

Wingcheck

Apr 3, 2012
I set up my LG Optimus V using a program called FoxFi and set up a new wireless networki. When I need to tether, I simply start FoxFi on the LG and my Iconia a500 links to the LG without a problem. No need to root either the LG or the a500. Oh, yea .... I should mention that this was done on the a500 Honeycomb 3.2 and yesterday when I rec'd ICS 4.03, the ability to tether to my phone was still intact.

Last edited:

mak101

Apr 30, 2012
I set up my LG Optimus V using a program called FoxFi and set up a new wireless networki. When I need to tether, I simply start FoxFi on the LG and my Iconia a500 links to the LG without a problem. No need to root either the LG or the a500. Oh, yea .... I should mention that this was done on the a500 Honeycomb 3.2 and yesterday when I rec'd ICS 4.03, the ability to tether to my phone was still intact.

Never did tethering on my iconia before and I think it would be great to have it since I will be on vacation for 2 weeks. I have t-mobile samsung galaxy S with unlimited (well 5 GB with 4G) data plan and would like to tether with it. Would it be possible with FoxFi app? Would this work on ics?

Thanks.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Never did tethering on my iconia before and I think it would be great to have it since I will be on vacation for 2 weeks. I have t-mobile samsung galaxy S with unlimited (well 5 GB with 4G) data plan and would like to tether with it. Would it be possible with FoxFi app? Would this work on ics?

Thanks.

Tethering does not require anything from the tablet other than the ability to connect to wifi.

You set up your phone as a wifi hotspot, and password protect the hotspot.

Then just have the tablet use the phone's hotspot.
Usually you need no additional software in the tablet, and on any recent phone you need no additional software in the phone either.
Turning on tethering on your phone may cause you to incur additional carrier charges, depending on what your plan allows.

mak101

Apr 30, 2012
Tethering does not require anything from the tablet other than the ability to connect to wifi.

You set up your phone as a wifi hotspot, and password protect the hotspot.

Then just have the tablet use the phone's hotspot.
Usually you need no additional software in the tablet, and on any recent phone you need no additional software in the phone either.
Turning on tethering on your phone may cause you to incur additional carrier charges, depending on what your plan allows.

Thanks for quick reply, I will try tonight. Would battery drain too fast?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Thanks for quick reply, I will try tonight. Would battery drain too fast?

Your phone's battery will drain faster while tethering, your acer tablet won't drain any faster.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Your phone's battery will drain faster while tethering, your acer tablet won't drain any faster.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Ice bike,

After months of struggling to get my tablet and HTC Evo 3D to work, I finally solved the problem.

This was the issue:

While I had no problem tethering my A500 to my phone yet I had no internet access even though the phone had no problem and could access the internet anytime. It was not the ISP's fault - the only blame they carry is that they should have known the solution - that this problem existed.

I finally stumbled across the solution. I had to create another APN in the APN listing called xxxxxxxxxx Internet (where xxxxxxx is the ISP's name):

Name: xxxxx Internet
APN: internet
APN type: internet

No authentication was require.

This problem almost drove me batty. But I solved it and it has been a good day.
I hope this may help someone else one day.

Note: I have not included the standard port settings of 505 & 02.

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
That would have never occurred to me. On At&t in the states, all phones come with an apn of wap.Cingular.com. Any gsm phone can use that, but at&t sells their phones with a couple more apns installed and software that uses those apn names when you switch on tethering. Non at&t phones can tether without this, and at&t can't even tell you are doing it.

Glad you got that fixed.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Normally it would never have occurred to me either. I have acquired a PDF doc that has all the APN's here in Australia - this is for data connection via thethering - and it has all the settings for the 5 or 6 major providers.

What was confusing me was once the APN was added, I trying to set the default ISP APN to the newly created APN. This was wrong. I was meant to leave the phone connected to the default APN. So turning on the HOTSPOT would turn the phone into a wireless router/modem when this happened any device wanting to connect would need to use the newly created APN. In other words the phone becomes an extension of the ISP's network - which is what the APN is suppose to do.

Here in Australia we can buy a blank/pre-paid hand set with the ability to then go to the mobile (for US, read "cellphone) SERVICE PROVIDER we choose. I wasn't happy with my previous phone, so I went out and bought my own handset. Different SP support different phone makes, some Samsung, others HTC. My ISP supports Samsung Galaxy S3&2 but not HTC EVO3D. So it was my responsibility to try getting my phone's data service to share with my tablet. All this has led to the confusion. Besides, I've never had to setup a phone before. Modems and routers yes!

As I said I hope it helps someone.

jonisea

Sep 19, 2012
I have an Acer Iconia A500 and a galaxy s2 with Sprint. Unlimited data plan. Up until last month everything was great with the wifi tethering. Then Sprint went and cut off the hotspot I was using from foxfi. I am trying PDAnet but it is not working and I need a step by step thread to help get this to work again or any other ideas on free hotspots or tethering. I have used easy tether in the past but it is not wifi. I think more readers could benefit too. is there anyone who can do this? As a last resort, what would work with the galaxy s2 and Acer? Please give a step by step answer. Much thanks

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
You're probably in USA but I would suggest you have a read of Icebike's post just a few above this one. To get ANDROID phone and tablet to tether is easy. But getting to the internet with your tablet through your phone - well - just check the APN's on your phone. See if you can find one that is just "internet" - you may be able to get through.

However if you've got a data plan with your phone approach your SERVICE PROVIDER and ask what the heck is going on? As a consumer your are within your rights to demand compensation if they no longer provide the service that you're paying for. It can't hurt to ask.