The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

buddyisonfire

Dec 24, 2010
Okay, I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been looking everywhere for a tablet that suits my needs but have been unable to find one. Hopefully you guys can help me out.

Im looking for a tablet that I can permanently mount in my car that I will mostly use for GPS navigation and music playback so it'll need to have GPS and market access or some other way to get a good offline navigation app on it, I also need at least 120gb of storage for my music. I also hate resistive touch screens so it needs to have a quality capacitive screen between 7 and 10 inches. At least Android 2.2 would be nice, but it's not necessary. I don't want a super slow tablet, but I'm not too worried about specs as long as it has room for my music and can navigate me around.

I got super excited when I saw the Archos 70 Internet tablet, but my excitement quickly left when I realized there was no GPS :(

Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

subcultureuk

Nov 17, 2010
Hi folks

great thread.... ive been reading this forum for some time now, and im not really too much wiser, so im hoping someone can make me a recommendation to at least point me in the right direction! im looking for a tablet to browse the internet (including flash) , play games, read PDFs, and link up to a TV to play divx and mkv files (Hi Def) outputted by HDMI. Im based in the UK, and i have up to $400 to spend. Im looking for something that definitely has the full market place, preferrably out of the box, but i'd be happy to tweak if guides/support were freely available. From what ive read so far, heres the spec i feel i need:

ESSENTIAL:

* Full market access
* Android 2.2 minimum
* 8 - 10" screen (preferrably the bigger)
* Flash support for internet/youtube etc
* wi-fi
* good battery life (5/6 hours minimum)
* g sensor
* good movie codec support
* support for 32gb memory card
* 3D game support

DESIRABLE

* capacitive screen
* upgradable firmware
* good support

any other advice of chipsets and any other features that would be useful for what im gonna use it for, would be much appreciated... thanks in advance!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@dundroid
Shanzhai tablets A8 8" IMX515, Witstech A81, and the Samsung A8 8" S5PV210
Of these, the S5PV210 shows the most promise, but I wouldn't call any of these reliable and popular.
I have nothing to recommend to you at this price point. I would just order the Archos 70 from Tigerdirect and get $20 off Paypal.

@buddyisonfire
It depends on where you are. The Huawei S7 is a good choice if you want something that just works. Archos 5 IT has GPS but is really dated.
Shanzhai choices include Witstech A81G, Leader PXA166 (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...arvell-pxa166-marvell-armada-166-tablets.html), Flytouch II are the shanzhai choices (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ch-2-infotmic-x210-10-android-2-1-tablet.html).

You didn't list a price range or size. The Flytouch II is the most easily attainable below $200.

@subcultureuk
Advent Vega, with the exception that codec support doesn't work up to 1080p high profile. The support community via Modaco is as good as you can get for in terms of community support. Also consider the Archos 101, but the Advent Vega has better long-term value.

subcultureuk

Nov 17, 2010
@dundroid
@subcultureuk
Advent Vega, with the exception that codec support doesn't work up to 1080p high profile. The support community via Modaco is as good as you can get for in terms of community support. Also consider the Archos 101, but the Advent Vega has better long-term value.

thanks for that... the Archos 101 was one i definitely considered because a friend told me that Archos offer a trade in scheme in the future if you wish to upgrade, do you know if this is correct?

also, is it fairly straightforward now to add full Market to the 101 running android 2.2 software?

thanks for your help, i'd never even heard of the vega... looks really interesting, especially as it may be available locally (PC World)

subcultureuk

Nov 17, 2010
sorry, i also forgot to say..... if i was happy to stay at 8" screen (there seems to be a bit of an issue with 10" screens but the look of it?) , would you be happy with your same recommendation, or are there other options you would recommend? What ive read on the Vega is that is not a great out of box experience (tweaks needed, viewing angles etc), and the HDMI playback aint great. I do like the idea of support from a Uk major company though (DSG)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
There are more issues with the 8 inch 4:3 screen compared to the 10 inch screen.

Advent Vega gives only hardware support through major companies, but firmware is up to community support, which looks very hopeful if not definite. I am not aware of the Archos trade-in program. But the last time I checked, the deals are not as good for you for the Archos.

subcultureuk

Nov 17, 2010
That's great, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me... Vega it is!!

They seem very difficult to get hold off at the minute though via DSG Group, so it looks like an eBay job... Looks like theres also an older non flash version going around, so I'll have to be careful

Thanks again, I look forward to getting my first tablet and contributing actively to this great community!

Gothy

Dec 27, 2010
Hi, thanks in advance for any advice. :)
My budget is under £200 ($300)
Mostly, I'd like to read colour comics, books and illustrated books such as RPG manuals. So I would really like to have a tablet that would allow me to read PDFs, CBRs and CBZs without converting them to other filetypes, unzipping the pictures, etc.
I have been told that to have a good Adobe style PDF reader, I am most likely looking at Android 2.1 or above..?
I'd also like to use wifi internet, simple email and twitter.
I would like access to the marketplace, and the ability to load my own apps if I load them on via the memory card or computer.

I'd quite like a reasonably sized, or nicely proportioned screen to do this on, but I realize that bumps up the price, 7" would be sufficient if it did everything nicely.
I'd like a battery life of about 3-4 hours, I don't expect miracles, but I'd like to be able to have an evening's reading out of it.
In the past I have modified devices such as gaming systems and phones, so I would be open to modding to get what I want from a device, if I could be pointed in the right direction.

Things I am not bothered about:
MP3 playing
3D Gaming (I like little pick-up-and-fiddle office type games, though)
GPS
Camera
Huge amounts of storage

Mainly because I have things that do these things much better already, and I like those things.

keveye

Dec 27, 2010
Hello,

I'm looking for a 10'' android tablet to use as a media tablet and to play around with also - I was wondering, what is currently the best value 10''?

I have been looking around, and found the Zenithink tablet and also the Flytouch 2 but including and apart from them what is the best android tablet 10'' for around 160-180usd?

thanks,

Kevin.

mamagoth

Dec 23, 2010
Hello all-thanks for the help in advance.

Im looking for a 7" tablet that:
has android 2.1
It doesnt really matter if its cap or res screen as long as it is responsive.
I can read PDFs on it.
I can load a calendar app on it
some type of notepad, word document or something that i can type up a quick note or two on
can access facebook, twitter and email. probably some other quick browsing too
watch youtube videos
watch movies and listen to music.

i dont need a camera or games or anything like that.

Im a newb and have no idea how to root or even what "flashing" means. However im fairly confident that if i have clear instructions, i would be able to follow them.

I was thinking the coby kyros...would that fit my needs?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@Gothy
I would still recommending spending closer to the full amount of your budget on a tablet because having a faster processor makes all the difference in the world to a smooth non-text based reading experience. The Archos 70 is the only tablet I would really recommend for you. You need to find yourself a sale, because retail prices tend to be a little on the high end for the Archos 70 where you are at right now. But I see deals: archos 70 | Compare Prices & Info - Kelkoo

@keveye
I would buy the Flytouch 2 if I really had the two to choose from. It does have the most value. Neither are trouble free. There's also a Telechips TCC8902 at 10", but it tends to be on the expensive side.

@mamagoth
Grab yourself a Coby Kyros. It fits your needs perfectly, except that you shouldn't expect to be able to write notes on it too well. It wouldn't be extremely responsive either, but at this price point it would be hard to beat.

hookedand

Dec 28, 2010
I am looking for an android tablet 7" which will be
- Primarily used for reading pdf's, watching movies in formats of avi, mp4, mpeg, and listening to music in mp3,wav formats.
- Secondary use is internet, watching videos using flash
- I want it to have a calendar and be able to download android apps.
Additional features are always cool especially hd resolution but not necessary. I allready have a pandigital 7" white e reader which is fine but lacks the capabilities of playing avi, mpeg videos or at least it does coming out of the box (should I keep this one?), the plan is to return this and purchase one about similar price range of $150-$200. All suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited: