The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

jenduval

Nov 26, 2011
1) I am looking for a tablet to use for my photography business. I need to be able to show album layouts which is why I am leaning towards Android over iPad. The Androids have a widescreen which is much better for my wide album layouts. However, my primary concern is brightness, contrast and clarity of the screen. Since I am used to Macs, I am used to a very bright screen, so most of the android screens appear very dull to me. I also need to run Flash websites (another iPad epic-fail). I do need other basic apps like calendar, photo viewer, etc.

2) $500 - would prefer under $450 since that is how much I would spend on an iPad.

3) approx 9.4" - 10.1" bigger the better for photo viewing

4) I currently have a Samsung Captivate running Android. I still miss my iPod touch, but I am learning the Android operating system. My biggest peeve about Android is when the apps crash. I feel like I am using a computer. I am computer literate - mostly Apple these days.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way) Colorado, but I will likely purchase on the internet - Cyber Monday :)

Any advice is appreciated even if it is just to tell me to stick with the iPad.

EwanG

Jan 8, 2011
My "dilemma" is that I am looking for a solution that will provide communications in a lot of places and not just be dependent on WiFi. I have had several Android tablets and both versions of the iPad at one time or another (primarily setting them up for family), and up to now have relied on a PHS-300 and a USB WiMax stick for communications for the tablet, and an Optimus V on Virgin Mobile for phone/VOIP.

So I have two solutions I am considering in a couple of weeks when I get my XMas bonus. In both cases I am planning to us T-Mobile as the provider using their new $30/month plan for 5 gigs of 3G/4G data and 100 minutes of voice, and GrooveIP to do VOIP (which is what I have used on my current phone).

Solution A is to get a Samsung Exhibit II, set it up with WiFi tethering, and then get a Transformer Prime. This will require me to carry a bag with the Transformer, and means I may sometimes have to rely on the phone where it isn't convenient to lug the Prime. On the other hand, the quad-core Prime may eventually let me do things I can't do on a dual-core machine, and it is a 10+ inch screen which should make for easier reading.

Solution B is to get a Streak 7 4G model and a stereo bluetooth headset. This would mean I'd have the tablet with me all the time (I borrowed my wife's Kindle Fire and confirmed it fits in my pants pocket), although calls might be a bit inconvenient if I don't have the headset handy. That is a dual-core tablet, and at this time, I don't know of many things in the Android market that I would need more than that to do.

Solution A runs around $800-$900, while solution B runs around $500-$600. So is Solution A worth the extra $300-$400 and the occasional inconvenience? Anything you know about any of the mentioned devices I might want to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

JohnK11

Nov 27, 2011
I am quite happy with the $99 Android 2.3 7" Coby 7012--and gave 2 of them away as gifts.
Pro : Cheap (was even $88 at Fry's 10 days ago--but higher now)
--Android market can be added (see Coby 7012/7120 threads)--
--work reasonably well --though cpu is a bit wimpy
--Angry Bird works some of the time
--video .mp4 files (created with NERO) works well without stuttering;
I was able to put 50+ hours video files on the 16GB microsd (could also
use 32 GB)--real good deal on those at Costco right now --$15 !!
--so far, with 70+ hours of use, seems be to quite reliable
Con :"
--no camera (the 7120 model has camera, $20 more--also 2.3.3)
--only 3-4 hours battery life
--7" has very limited screen size; 10" is better, of course
--resistive screen, but touch is quite good
--wimpy 800MHz cpu; was told that netflix has stuttering, unless one
use an older less demanding version; a little slow in staring up

Will probably buy 2+ more 7120 to give away as Xmas gifts (My opera loving
mentor should enjoy the 20 or so Verdi, Bellini, Donizetti opera that I will
put on the microsd for him) and keep one for myself.

xirian

Nov 27, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

Mainly video calling. Angry birds would be nice, but even just being able to video chat, preferably skype, but also willing to use google chat or oovoo.
Will be used by my nephew and his grandmother.
2) how much you are willing to spend
I would like to spend as little as I can for something useable, preferably under $200
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
7"+, something hard to lose.
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
Fine rooting, etc
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
New York

JohnK11

Nov 27, 2011
The Android 2.3 7" Coby 7012 is available online at P. C. Richard for 79.99 (+ 5 for shipping, no tax except in NJ)
This Cyber Monday deal is extended to Wednesday 11/30
see 2 post above for a brief review

Hawkes

Nov 29, 2011
Hello everyone. I'm coming to the experts for some advice on what to get. I'm getting my daughter a tablet for xmas and need to get the most for my money (who doesn't?). I have $250 to spend (maybe a tiny bit more ($<25) if it's a good deal. Anything much more than that and my wife would probably give me the cold shoulder for a few months. I do not mind if it's a refurb. The only major requirement I have is I'd like for it to have the nVidia Tegra 2 chip. I have some alerts set up on dealnews and nowinstock but in the end, I wouldn't know if it's a good deal since I don't follow tablets much. Here's my preferences in order of highest to lowest.

* Tegra 2
* 10" screen a huge plus
* Semi-good battery life. 4-5 hours would be good.

She likes to skype with friends, play some puzzle/riddle games and some arcade type games. Riptide would probably be something she would enjoy as long as it seems pretty smooth. A lot of her friends are getting iPads or laptops and we just can't afford to plunk down $500. I think this would be a good compromise until she can start earning some money babysitting in the next year or so.

I appreciate any help you can offer and if I raise any questions, let me know what I might have missed and I'll be happy to reply. Thanks everyone.

-Hawkes

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Hello everyone. I'm coming to the experts for some advice on what to get. I'm getting my daughter a tablet for xmas and need to get the most for my money (who doesn't?). I have $250 to spend (maybe a tiny bit more ($<25) if it's a good deal. Anything much more than that and my wife would probably give me the cold shoulder for a few months. I do not mind if it's a refurb. The only major requirement I have is I'd like for it to have the nVidia Tegra 2 chip. I have some alerts set up on dealnews and nowinstock but in the end, I wouldn't know if it's a good deal since I don't follow tablets much. Here's my preferences in order of highest to lowest.

* Tegra 2
* 10" screen a huge plus
* Semi-good battery life. 4-5 hours would be good.

She likes to skype with friends, play some puzzle/riddle games and some arcade type games. Riptide would probably be something she would enjoy as long as it seems pretty smooth. A lot of her friends are getting iPads or laptops and we just can't afford to plunk down $500. I think this would be a good compromise until she can start earning some money babysitting in the next year or so.

I appreciate any help you can offer and if I raise any questions, let me know what I might have missed and I'll be happy to reply. Thanks everyone.

-Hawkes

You posted a couple of days too late. Best Buy had the 8 GB model of the Acer Iconia A500 as one of their Cyber Monday sale items. It was going for $230 and went on sale early Sunday morning. By Sunday evening, they were all sold out.

For today only, Woot has a refurbished 16 GB Samsung Galaxy Tab for $320.

Last edited:

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
I ended up buying 2 Dell Streak 7s & 1 Acer a100 during Best Buy's Black Friday sale. Newegg.com also had some good deals on tablets. For anyone looking, watch the holiday sales right now. In the last week, both the Acers, a Dell, a Toshiba and a Samsung (I think) have been on sale for under $250.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

Hawkes

Nov 29, 2011
What are the thoughts on the Samsung Galaxy at woot today? I know it's more than I want to spend, but for the price, maybe I'll dela with the cold shoulder for a couple weeks so my daughter gets a bit more out of it.

bald347

Nov 29, 2011
Great site, glad I found it and hope I can get an answer. I am looking for tablets for my 6 year old and 9 year old. I want wi fi and hdmi plugs. These will mainly be used to download apps and games. They like playing angry birds etc. If possible I would like to stream movies from netflix and play on my hdtv. I am good with computers and have above average skills. I would like to keep it under 150.00 but can go to 250.00. Toys r us has one on sale for 75 dollars (50 % off). Its the sylvania 7'' android 2.2. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Ken

hous

Nov 29, 2011
I am looking for the following 7,8inch tablet:

- Battery 4500mAh and up. Bigger is better. (tablet weight and look does not matter)
- Multi-Touch capacitive 7 or 8 inch screen
- Android 2.3 with vpn enabled (kernel compiled with iptable)
- WLAN wifi 802.11 b/g/n.
- Built-in 3G. good quality ones like huawei maybe and not the cheap ones.
- price not more than 270$

I have tried lots of tablets in this price range till now, and the closest was the renesas3 but it had a very bad 3g module.

Any ideas? thanks.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
What are the thoughts on the Samsung Galaxy at woot today? I know it's more than I want to spend, but for the price, maybe I'll dela with the cold shoulder for a couple weeks so my daughter gets a bit more out of it.

The Samsung Galaxy is/was the first Android tablet, and it is a "true" Android, unlike the cheaper tablets. If I hadn't just purchased 5 tablets (Best Buy's Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales), I would seriously consider the Galaxy. It has the dual core Tegra 2 chip, so it will be upgradeable to Ice Cream Sandwich.

bishop793

Oct 2, 2011
I got the Acer iconia A100 at the best buy black Friday sale for 189.00 so far its pretty good. I upgraded from the kyros 7022 which was a pretty good tablet .

Tegra 2 has issues playing 720/1080p video, which is my only gripe

Sent from my A100 using Android Tablet Forum

cesarcal

Nov 30, 2011
I am looking for a 7" or bigger tablet-

- Multi-Touch capacitive 7 or 8 inch screen
- Android market ( dont mind rooting)
- WLAN wifi 802.11 b/g/n.
- Angry birds.
- able to run Slacker or Pandora would be a plus.
- price not more than $125 unless really necessary. I know these will end up getting destroyed withn a year but want to make sure they do work for that time.

These are for my 4 and 7 year olds and my 3 year old nephew. more than anything looking for something they can use to play games on and i can load the SC card with music and games with.

Last edited:

SamGurl

Nov 30, 2011
I'm looking for a basic, inexpensive tablet for my son. He's only 5, but he's autistic and his therapist recommended that I look into buying an iPad for the educational games he could play. Well, I'm a single mom and certainly can't afford an iPad. But I'd love to try and be able to buy him something but don't have much to spend unfortunately. I just need something that I can download games onto from an app store and that I can connect to my WiFi. I really won't be using it for anything else, so it doesn't have to be fancy or have a ton of memory. I saw I could get a 7" Google Android for around $60 right now but I read some reviews and people were saying that you can't connect to the Android Market so it's not good for playing any sort of games on.

If anyone has any advice on what may be good for me to get I would really appreciate it and so would my little boy! :)

Sarah