The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

dp3000

Dec 22, 2011
Hi,

Just found this site, what and awsome resource! Here's what I'm trying to find

1) Basic web browsing, Gmail and Google Navigation, full access to Market. Need GPS for the Navigation, video out, WIFI. Wouldn't mind 3.0 capable.
2) $250 - $300 US
3) 7"
4) Been running a Nexus One for two yers so know my way around the basics of Android.
5) Australia so buying from Hong Kong and China is an option.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Algus

Dec 25, 2011
Hey all,

Well my mom got me an Android Tablet for Christmas (to be precise a Nextbook Premium 8) and while I like the idea of an Android tablet, the Nextbook was not ideal to say the least. My mom meant well and was trying to save money but the Nextbook is just a little to low end for me. If I'm going to get an Android tablet, I'd like for it to be at least as powerful as my Samsung Stratosphere.

I've done some research (since I knew nothing about Android tablets before today) and I've got my eye on the Samsung Galaxy Tab (good experience with my phone, so hoping Samsung is reliable here too) but the bottom line is this: I WANT THE OFFICIAL ANDROID MARKET FOR MY TABLET

As long as I have that, I think I'm good! Now to answer the questions

1. Basic features: eBook reading, digital comic reading, web browsing, and games of course. Would like something that can handle video at good quality with no skipping or what have you.

2. I've got around $100 for Christmas + the $200 or so my mom spent on the Premium 8, and I can throw another $200 on top easy. So I'd say I've got a budget of around $500 USD.

3. Anything between 8'' and 10'' I suppose. I don't know if I want to go smaller than the Premium 8 (though I did like its size) but I don't want anything to big. I had my eye on the Galaxy Tab 10.1

4. I'm no power user but I know how to sideload apps and generally customize the environment, etc.

5. United States

Would love some feedback, and am all for saving money but like I said, I want a tablet that I can use the official marketplace on. I don't mind tinkering with my computer or whatever but for a tablet, I'd like to be able to touch and go and I know the official Market will meet my needs and I don't have to worry about it vanishing and my tablet no longer having a dedicated market.

Thanks!!

fajoo24

Dec 25, 2011
1) Need flash support to watch online videos/movies through sites like youtube, megavideo, putlocker etc. need excellent video playback upto 720p atleast and need support for all major formats like avi, mp4, mkv etc. also need fast internet and reasonable gaming power, games shouldn't be choppy, should be atleast 8 gb internal memory so that i don't run out of space when installing apps/games. capacitive touch and 7 inch with good colors and reasonable resolution. camera is a plus but not necessary
2) not more then $100-$120
3) shouldn't be too big and heavy
4) have pretty ok knowledge
5) Pakistan (I can order from sites like pandawill, dealextreme and other chinese sites)

Please suggest me the best tablet looking at above info.

Rose4uKY

Aug 1, 2010
I have a friend that just got the Samsung Galaxy plus she called it. Is there a new one out? Hers is 7 inches but she lvoves it. I am wanting the Asus Transformer Prime that just came out and I have read all kind of good reviews on it. I sold my laptop and have to wait till my next pay check to order it. I have an Archos 10.1 and an HTC EVO 3D. My Archos is older and the specs don't match up to what's out there now and watching a movie on it I don't like the screen and it didn't come with market but I side loaded it on there and it's slow and freezes up sometimes. Since my phone is 4.3 I just figured 7 inch wouldn't be much bigger than my phone so I wanted a 10 inch and that is what I want again. I am sure the Samsung galaxy is great I asked my friend who got one if it was wifi only and she said yes. I thought they all required a data plan. The Asus Transformer is what I orginally had been wanting after reading reviews and then I found out if I waited and paid 499 instead of 399 the new Prime would be out and it only comes in 32 and 64 for 599.You can buy an option keyboard dock thing for 150 but I can't afford that right now. Seems like you have the money for a good one so good luck. I wish HTC would come out with a 10 inch good tablet.

Hey all,

Well my mom got me an Android Tablet for Christmas (to be precise a Nextbook Premium 8) and while I like the idea of an Android tablet, the Nextbook was not ideal to say the least. My mom meant well and was trying to save money but the Nextbook is just a little to low end for me. If I'm going to get an Android tablet, I'd like for it to be at least as powerful as my Samsung Stratosphere.

I've done some research (since I knew nothing about Android tablets before today) and I've got my eye on the Samsung Galaxy Tab (good experience with my phone, so hoping Samsung is reliable here too) but the bottom line is this: I WANT THE OFFICIAL ANDROID MARKET FOR MY TABLET

As long as I have that, I think I'm good! Now to answer the questions

1. Basic features: eBook reading, digital comic reading, web browsing, and games of course. Would like something that can handle video at good quality with no skipping or what have you.

2. I've got around $100 for Christmas + the $200 or so my mom spent on the Premium 8, and I can throw another $200 on top easy. So I'd say I've got a budget of around $500 USD.

3. Anything between 8'' and 10'' I suppose. I don't know if I want to go smaller than the Premium 8 (though I did like its size) but I don't want anything to big. I had my eye on the Galaxy Tab 10.1

4. I'm no power user but I know how to sideload apps and generally customize the environment, etc.

5. United States

Would love some feedback, and am all for saving money but like I said, I want a tablet that I can use the official marketplace on. I don't mind tinkering with my computer or whatever but for a tablet, I'd like to be able to touch and go and I know the official Market will meet my needs and I don't have to worry about it vanishing and my tablet no longer having a dedicated market.

Thanks!!

jlickliter83

Dec 26, 2011
I got an M7206 Android 2.3.3 Tablet for xmas. I am having a few problems. The worst 2 are the wifi not staying connected for very long and they 83% battery usage from what the system refers to as "cell standby". Anyone else have one of these devices?

biggjoe

Dec 26, 2011
:::::Best 7" - 10" Tablet (Need to purchase from Best Buy) $300-$400:::::

Hey Everyone,

Ok, I will make this short, sweet and hard to beat:

Between my birthday in November and Christmas (yesterday), I have between $300-$400 to spend in Best Buy Gift Cards. I'm looking to get the best Tablet possible, with the following points in mind:

1. - Best 'out of the box' options (i.e., HDMI-out, USB ports, internal storage, expandable storage (SD Card), Single/Dual Camera, etc.), 7" Screen vs. 10" Screen, etc.

2. - The most 'hack-able', meaning that it has the best all-around 'Android Community' developer support in terms of Custom ROM/OS support (CM7, etc.).

I know that I'm extremely limited because I have to buy from Best Buy, but oh well. I'm open to 'refurbished' products as well.

As for the type of use: Movies/Videos, Presentations (Power Point, Flash), Surfing the Web, I plan on r00ting the hell out of it, Techie utilities/IT Support, etc.

As for my experience level: I r00t Android phones w/ custom Kernals and ROMs, Jail-Break iPhones, Hybrid OS on Blackberrys, Run HomeBrew/Developer Apps on Palm WebOS devices, used to uncap cable modems back in the day when we had to, HomeBrewed my son's WII, exploited my daughters Nintendo DS, yada yada.

Thank you!!!

Bigg Joe

Ramirez

Dec 26, 2011
Hi.

This is my first post in here.
I posting to get help in one doubt about buying a tablet.
I was thinking of getting a portable DVD-Player for my son (2 years). But, as I speak to some friends, why not to buy a 7'' tablet instead?

That way I can put the movies on the SD and take the advantage of some baby aplications from the market (get some on my phone).
As I don't need many of the features, can you advice a nice device?

Thanks in advance.

Cortes

Dec 27, 2011
Hey folks. I previously did not have much interest in tablets until I received a Kindle Fire for Xmas as a surprise gift. Now I am seeing the pros and cons of owning one, and am interested in leaving options open for other tablets. I am an artist and writer, and would just like to be able to have a tablet to write notes, schedule and draw with. So far the Fire meets my needs with a handwriting app and Autodesk Sketchbook.

However, I would much prefer a 10 inch tablet over the 7 inch. I know the Fire doesn't have a pressure-sensitive screen (Autodesk Sketchbook however lets you control width by the speed of your stylus, which works though), but I'm assuming none in the medium price range do anyway. Besides I have owned Wacom since 2005 that is still rock-solid and awesome.

Really the biggest reason I might choose another instead of sticking with the Fire is the size.

so to recap:

1. looking for 10 inch tablet around $250-300 range, roughly.
2. Has USB ports
3. Can access Android app store

Anything that meets those points would rule. Again, I'm still not ruling out the Fire; it was an awesome gift (Family member, knew it was the idea that counts and that idea was a great xmas success hehe, also they understand my curiosity), and I may just keep it if it does become the Android tablet king, because of the wide support it would have.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Last edited:

waqas

Dec 28, 2011
Want to purchase for January 2012

I am new to this but don't mind rooting/flashing etc.

Specs required are:

7"-10"
Multi Touch
512MB RAM min
Tegra 2/3
camera
Battery life = 4 hours min
SD slot for expansion

Usage:

For watching movies, playing games and reading magazines and eBooks, surfing (YouTube) and the odd Navigation (though not essential).

Price:

Is it possible for £200/$400 max?

I have had a look at the following: B&N Colour Tablet (£150ish), Asus Prime (£300?) and Motorola XOOM (£200 for WiFi only). Superpads seem good but I'm not sure which one.

I would like them to run ICS in the near future.

gilgomez

Dec 30, 2011
Hello.......new to this site and forum so please be patient with me. :rolleyes:

I am looking at returning my Nook Tablet because we can no longer install 3rd party Android apps plus the internal 16gb memory claim is misleading; we only have access to 1gb! The screen is beautiful and fairly responsive and the size and weight ideal for reading.

Looking around for a reliable Android tablet as a replacement to the NT. Here is what I need:
1. 7" to 8.9"
2. light weight
3. micro sd slot
4. solid wifi
5. bluetooth would be very nice (future keyboard?)
6. fair to good sound quality and volume
7. ability to read Kindle, B&N and general epub books
8. ability to read pdf files with good formatting controls
9. good battery life, the longer the better
10. price point between $250 and $350
11. updated Android OS or planned for or ability to upgrade to future Android versions
12. Micro or standard USB
13. web surfing, Facebook, email, chat (son is in military and overseas so we chat as often as possible...)
14. Skype and/or camera for video chatting would be awesome

Yes, the list is long but a girl can dream....right?

I welcome your expert recommendations, any links to reviews or pertinent device info, etc. Please share your own device info if possible.
Thanks!!!!

waqas

Dec 28, 2011
Hello.......new to this site and forum so please be patient with me. :rolleyes:

I am looking at returning my Nook Tablet because we can no longer install 3rd party Android apps plus the internal 16gb memory claim is misleading; we only have access to 1gb!

Somethings wrong with your Nook, take it to one of B&N stores to have it checked out for free as I assume its still within warranty given it was released a few months ago and you'll have you're tablet back as good as new (then you can root it)!

gilgomez

Dec 30, 2011
Somethings wrong with your Nook, take it to one of B&N stores to have it checked out for free as I assume its still within warranty given it was released a few months ago and you'll have you're tablet back as good as new (then you can root it)!

Hi there!
The Nook Tablet is brand new and just released....new Barnes and Noble firmware forced update locked out all 3rd party apps, access to the Android market and competitors' products and ebooks. Not worth rooting because they have a generous holiday return policy so I have till 1-31-2012 to return or exchange. So, I am thinking of returning and getting my cash back and so would like advice as to what Android tablets out there should be tested or considered.

Thanks for the feedback and assistance....

curt7088

Jan 2, 2012
I am sold on a 7" tab, and a dual core is a must, so far I have narrowed my list to two, (unless you can sway my opinion) the acer A100 or the toshiba thrive, they seem to be the cream of the crop in the 7" tabs... the only downside is i can't make up my mind which, i am very familliar with android, (having owned the OG droid and now a Bionic and having rooted a couple of my friends phones) I want to game with this tab and a clear picture is a big selling point (almost mad i chose the bionic over the samsung charge manily due to the super AMOLED screen) but want a big dev group so i can root it and have all the fun custom ROMS.

I know the acers screen has a poor viewing angle, but that does not mean it does not have a crisp screen but the thrive does have a loaded screen with the 1280x800 led backlit screen. The Thrive is also newer so it doesnt seem like it has the backing the acer would have... but i have not had the chance to look into this yet, so now i put this question up to you guys, what would you recommend?!? b/c at this rate I will die of old age before i buy a tab!

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I've read all the reviews and apparently the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus is easily the best 7" tablet on the market, a direct comparison by one reviewer showed the Toshiba falls considerably short of the Samsung. The Acer is much cheaper, a good tablet but with poor battery life.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk