The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

khaleel5000

Jan 18, 2012
How to ask a good question
Tell us:
1 what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need.... any specific apps

instead of buying a 80gbp kindle, i want a tablet , PRIMARY function= book reading so book reading tools, secondary function (for which I am looking for an android tab instead of a kindle) is wifi, gmail, fb, twitter, skype, may be movies upto 360p (or the more the merrier) - will appreciate presence of flash player [fully functional android market place will be a plus too] not toooo ****ty touch video/touch response.

2) how much you are willing to spend

80~90 GBP

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
7inch would be fine, like a kindle. but welcome to other suggestions

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
computer literate = Yes . about android, little bit, but I can read and learn.

Additional details: 3~5 hr battery life is acceptable.

Additional Question: is this good enough? or suggest your choice:
Archos 7 Home Tablet mobile phone - On Various networks | The Carphone Warehouse

Last edited:

Akio

Jan 20, 2012
Hey tablet pros, new guy planning to get a basic tablet.

It will have to:
1. Play MKV/H264 in HD
2. Read PDFs
3. Swype-compatible

Something under 250 USD and no bigger than 7 inches.

I have a 4.3 inch portable media player (SMPK8990 from Amazon) that plays videos beautifully.
Now I'm looking for something that I can Swype and read with on the go. Nothing else required.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. I know nothing about Android but have been with Windows since 3.1, so I can tweak things if necessary. Tested an iPad2 before - too bulky for me.

Dlynn

Jan 18, 2012
I know this gets asked alot,but i know nothing about tablets. just looking for somthing inexpensive to add maybe a photagraphyand bird book app , maybe a few games and email.and to see if a tablet is for me .Of these two Ebay one that i am looking at,which would you recommend?
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
or
7" ANDROID 2.2 TABLET HONEYCOMB MOD 3.0 3.1 CUSTOM ROM | eBay

Plan t0 buy in the next few days

EDITED : i bought this one ,i hope its going to be a good one :)
7" Allwinner A10 Cortex A8 1GHz Android 2.3

Last edited:

MrPlumber

Jan 21, 2012
Hi guys, I am a gas engineer in the UK and was looking for some help.

I am looking for a 7 inch tablet for work, I will be using for:
storing and viewing manuals
connecting to my on-line accounts software to edit and generate invoices
use it as GPS car nav
use it to print invoices in the field via a wireless printer(I plan to use a mifi and hope the router bit of it will work with the wifi printer)

I need it to work well. Its going to be used as a tool and not for play(though I will use it as a e-reader in lunch breaks). so it has to be up to the job of a bit of rough handling(will put a case on it as well).

the GPS has to work(not 'sort' of work as I use a gps device everyday). if no tablet has good GPS then I will get a standalone GPS device. but will need to pay less for the tablet.

The price needs to be as cheap as possible without compromising the quality(so about £150ish or $200. I have seen the Lenovo A1 7 inch tablet as a maybe.

also prefer a known brand over an unknown brand but will gladly have a no-brand if its good.

Thanks for any help

khaleel5000

Jan 18, 2012
I would have bought that nova, but I will prefer 'western' product . even if its ultimately made in same factory as this one .

maophia

Jan 22, 2012
Ok I'm proper lazy and the search isn't bring up quite what I'm after.

after a tablet with:

1, 7-10 inch screen
2. decent camera for skype (5mb +)
3. price not to fussed but less that £500 ideally
4. micro SD storage
5 HD screen
6.3.5 mm headphone jack
7.decent storage 8GB +
8. all the usual flash player adobe gumph too

so basically a big as-s version of my HTC desire HD phone with front facing camera....

I'm not a total idiot so just a gentle push in the right direction or a couple of good suggestions will be nice!

cheers!

Adydroid

Dec 27, 2011
Hi Guys,

I was looking for an android tablet that had a similar size screen to the ipad and didn't cost the earth. Whilst doing some research I came across a supplier in china who supplies a tablet called the Rockchip 2918 RK97. They reckon it uses the same LG IPS screen as the iPad 2 and has an ARM based processor. Has any one used one of these and if so are they ok? There are some UK suppliers but still don't want the hassle if it's naff, it looks pretty good for £200.

Cheers.

Last edited:

wsb_champ

Jan 22, 2012
Hi all, i have just changed jobs, and looks like like i need to give up the iphone for a blackberry. Not a real issue, but its got me thinking of a "tablet".....I spend a lot of time on planes and in hotels...

The most important things are Skype, Web surfing, gmail and android apps (such as those from Autodesk), watching movies and listening to music and facebook etc.
Just thought, gps would be a nice to have...I'm not fussed by makes, just want a good product.
Budget, have up to £160 ($200) - Dont mind going cheaper!

7" to 10" - never used Android, but did own Win5 mobile before iOS - I did play with a 10" Archos and a nice Sony in PC world as £199 and £399, and liked the way the screen felt..

Im in the UK.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

M

Jan 22, 2012
Hello! I'm from Vermont in the US and I'm trying, (probably lot many people) to decide between the current dual core tabs and the quad core.

I will be using this tablet for most anything you can use a tablet for - lots of art applications, streaming movies and music (flash required), some sort of g-sensor/accelerometer, and bluetooth, as I already have a good bluetooth keyboard that pairs nicely with my Android Phone.

I currently own the Acer A500 but I'm still within my return period. I'm strongly leaning towards returning it and getting a quad-core tab but I like the features such as the full size usb port and I want to be able to use that for an external HD for movies, music, etc. Of course, a lot of web surfing will be included. I will be using it for some office features but mostly through Google Docs, as that's what I use on my current mini-notebook (which I'll probably get rid of once I have the tablet decided on for sure). Price is a thought but I want a 10" inch screen and front facing camera so I can use internet video chat, etc. which I think means I'm in the $500 dollar general price range.

I find the Asus Prime intriguing but I'd like to have a USB port without having to have the dock to get it. I read somewhere about either Toshiba or Lenovo coming out with a quad-core with full size usb but I can't find the release date on it now. I'm willing to wait a bit, but also know there is always something better around the corner and at some point I need to just pull the trigger as they say. I consider myself fairly computer literate, I'm the one called to get any family member out of a computer jam. Also had an Android phone for 2 years and followed the development closely for some time prior to that. In addition, I used to run a triple boot laptop with two linux distros and a Windows install so I'm fairly comfortable with the ins and out of doing something like that.

I guess my questions are, has anyone heard of any release dates for quad-core tabs beyond the Asus Prime? Are there any other tabs that you'd say "forget the quad core and go for... instead?" Any info on release dates (other than the general sometime in 2012 would be uber cool to hear).
Oh, I'll also be using it in the hospital quite a bit with multiple surgeries coming up and digital magazines and e-books are definitely part of what I'll be using it for.

Thanks so much in advance! I look forward to your advice!!

Rae

drcjsrm

Jan 23, 2012
Well first of all, its my first time I'm looking for a tablet that will help with my classes, I'm a medstudent, so i need a tablet that will record and is user friendly with microsoft office and pdf, and another thing that worries me is that if I buy an android tablet and what if i can't upgraded later with a new software. I dont know much of android

Lolliegee

Jan 13, 2012
I posted the following a week ago and haven't seen a response yet. I'm really hoping for some help here. I've also noticed that quite a few others have posted, but no one seems to be responding to this thread (at least not much recently). Should I just post my question on the main forum?

Hi! Hoping for some help in figuring out what to get.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
I basically want a tablet to replace the computer. I've got kids and it seems like I hardly ever get to actually get on the computer and a laptop is too big. I'm always nursing or have someone in my lap. I need it to do Flash, Netflix, Nook or Kindle and game apps, would love it compatible with an external keyboard for those times I really need to type a lot. Would really like it to interface well with the internet when using desktop sites. External memory is a must. I bought a Kindle Fire to try it out, but the lack of external memory was a deal-breaker, when I quickly started using up the "app" memory and had only installed a handful of apps. I've been looking at the Nook Tablet, but I'm not sure if it'll satisfy what I want. 8 GB internal should be the minimum memory. The Kindle Fire claimed to have a super fast internet app with it's "silk" technology, but I found it to be incredibly slow, no matter what wi-fi I was on. So using Dolphin would be great as well. Oh yeah, and a capacitive touch-screen.

2) how much you are willing to spend
I spent $200 on the Kindle Fire. I could spend $250 right now. If I need to, I can wait and save longer, but would really like something now.

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
Obviously, I'm willing to go with a 7", but bigger would definitely be better.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
I've had an Android phone for over a year, switched to the Incredible 2 in November. I'm pretty computer literate and rooting a tablet is an option for me, although I don't know a whole lot about it yet, but am not afraid to do the research and figure it out.

Hopefully, I've given enough info to help me out. I realize I'm wanting diamonds on a nickel budget, but hey, one can hope, right? :D

Thanks in advance for your help!

stoobydale

Jan 26, 2012
The most important things are Skype, Web surfing, gmail and android apps (such as those from Autodesk), watching movies and listening to music and facebook etc.
Just thought, gps would be a nice to have...I'm not fussed by makes, just want a good product.
Budget, have up to £160 ($200) - Dont mind going cheaper

WBS Champ, did you get a reply to this question? I am looking for the same thing.

I am considering,

Teclast A10 9.7"
FlyTouch 5 Capacitive 10.2"
ZeniThink C91 Cortex A9 10.2"
Cube U9GT 9.7"
HK 10K AML8726-M Cortex A9

Could someone please advise which of the above would be the best.

Last edited: