The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Hi, thanks for the reply! By low cost I meant something in the price range of the Coby Kyros 7015 (the model that I was considering using): 100 ~ 200 USD.

Resistive screen is OK since I'm not looking for multi-touch or anything fancy, thins will be kept pretty simple with this prototype. As for the batteries, I don't need nothing fancy, just something that enables the tablet to be used all day long with as few recharges as possible.

This tablet will be used only as a proof of concept. If the project proves itself valid, we're probably going to look for something else with better reliability, battery life, etc.
If this tablet is to be a proof of concept, then I reccommend one that has the majority of features (however reduced in power or prominance) of the more mainstream tablets, but for small price. For example, definitely a tablet with a capacitive screen. Resistive screens are much clumsier to use and will not help prove your point on possible productivity gains from a tablet. You also want something with fair battery life. For these requirements, I recommend a rooted Nook Color tablet. It has a capacitive screen, and is fairly cheap in the tablet market ($250). It also has fair features overall. It can be given a full android OS through rooting, which is a fairly simple procedure. Nothing too complicated overall

adabada

May 8, 2011
If this tablet is to be a proof of concept, then I reccommend one that has the majority of features (however reduced in power or prominance) of the more mainstream tablets, but for small price. For example, definitely a tablet with a capacitive screen. Resistive screens are much clumsier to use and will not help prove your point on possible productivity gains from a tablet. You also want something with fair battery life. For these requirements, I recommend a rooted Nook Color tablet. It has a capacitive screen, and is fairly cheap in the tablet market ($250). It also has fair features overall. It can be given a full android OS through rooting, which is a fairly simple procedure. Nothing too complicated overall

Hello Walkop, thanks for the recommendation, the Nook Color seems to be a really impressive device, the looks alone would surely help me sell the idea, but what about Bluetooth? From the tech specs I can't see BT listed there, or even an USB port (BT dongle).

mmimzy

May 9, 2011
Hello everyone, new to your site here and i decided i wanted to pose a question. While i haven't looked through all of this thread seeing as how its kinda big >< and generally msot skim ofthis stuff lol ><, i was hope you all wouldn't mind helping me out anyway :p.

SO i'm looking for a Tablet that will work out for school. I used to take note in class using the stylist note taking ap on my smart phone. I had stopped mainly because the surface was to small and fubling with that and books was a little silly ><. Now that tablets are coming down in price and are graininga lo t of good looking aps i figured i'd look into tablets.

So first i'm looking for a tablet:
- I feel it should be big (but i could be wrong on this if any of you have experience. Reason i say this is for taking notes in class, i also wanna put my books on the thing when i can to save on what i have to tote back and forth.

-do you guys feel a keyboard accessories is necessary like the transformer?

- i also wanna know if you guys think droid is right for the job.

things to note on me getting this tab:
1. i'm new to android, not new to computing devices
2. i'd prefer cheap but if xoom or something similar at that price can't be beat then i can get that.

* so in general what tablet is write for some one who wants to use it for school.

2nd i wanna know about apps for said tablet:
- so i'd need a note taking app, one that i can use hand written notes and maybe also use typed notes together with out having to fiddle around with to many settings if i have to switch from one to the other.

_i wanted to know what book app do you all think would work best, i know kindle has a lot of the different school boots, my concern is i was wondering if there are any of these apps that can also let me put notes in the e-book or something like that.

thanks to all who reply.

Last edited:

Mavvy

May 7, 2011
Well i've been looking around and mostly seems to be trade offs between Capacitive and battery life (resulting in resistive)....It makes me wonder if it would be possible for me to replace to add an extra battery myself? The best battery life i've seen is:

8000mAh with:

Wholesale Android 2 tablet pc: 10 inchs, android 2.2, support Flash 10.1, G sensor, with Wifi, camera, long

It makes me wonder, battery wise what can you expect given a certain rating, 3000mah? 6000mah?

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Hello everyone, new to your site here and i decided i wanted to pose a question. While i haven't looked through all of this thread seeing as how its kinda big >< and generally msot skim ofthis stuff lol ><, i was hope you all wouldn't mind helping me out anyway :p.

SO i'm looking for a Tablet that will work out for school. I used to take note in class using the stylist note taking ap on my smart phone. I had stopped mainly because the surface was to small and fubling with that and books was a little silly ><. Now that tablets are coming down in price and are graininga lo t of good looking aps i figured i'd look into tablets.

- I feel it should be big (but i could be wrong on this if any of you have experience. Reason i say this is for taking notes in class, i also wanna put my books on the thing when i can to save on what i have to tote back and forth.

2. i'd prefer cheap but if xoom or something similar at that price can't be beat then i can get that.

* so in general what tablet is write for some one who wants to use it for school.

- so i'd need a note taking app, one that i can use hand written notes and maybe also use typed notes together with out having to fiddle around with to many settings if i have to switch from one to the other.

_i wanted to know what book app do you all think would work best, i know kindle has a lot of the different school boots, my concern is i was wondering if there are any of these apps that can also let me put notes in the e-book or something like that.

thanks to all who reply.

Alright, try the acer iconia a500. It has a large enough screen and from what I hear, it is pretty fast and has a good battery.

Or you could try the Flytouch II but it has a resistive screen.

Acer: $400(?)

Flytouch II: $200

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk! Eat that Apple!

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011

thanks to all who reply.
If you want a big tablet at a good price, I would recommend 2 tablets.

1. The Acer Iconia Tab a500, as was mentioned.
2. The Asus Eee Pad Transformer.

In general, I would definitely recommend the Eee Pad. For your purposes...the Transformer blasts ahead. The screen is of higher quality (IPS), which has quite a bit better viewing angles without color distortion. Much crisper at differnt angles. It's also .2 pounds lighter, which can be useful when carrying it around. Most of the other specs are the same - internal storage, RAM, GPS, Screen res. etc. The ITab has support for wi-fi b/g/n, as does the Transformer, but it also supports "a" (which you likely won't notice at the time). The Transformer DOES have a better battery, however - especially with the Keyboard dock.

ITab: 8 hrs.
Transformer (without dock): 9.5 hours.
Transformer (with dock): 16 hrs.

Transformer beats it pretty well.

Overall, I'd definitely go with the Transformer - as soon as it comes back in stock, that is. There must be a reason it is selling out ;)
If you can wait until that time comes, go with ASUS. It comes even with the ITab in some areas and everywhere else it comes out on top. Even better, the Transformer even has a lower price:
Transformer: $400
ITab: $450

mmimzy

May 9, 2011
If you want a big tablet at a good price, I would recommend 2 tablets.

1. The Acer Iconia Tab a500, as was mentioned.
2. The Asus Eee Pad Transformer.

In general, I would definitely recommend the Eee Pad. For your purposes...the Transformer blasts ahead. The screen is of higher quality (IPS), which has quite a bit better viewing angles without color distortion. Much crisper at differnt angles. It's also .2 pounds lighter, which can be useful when carrying it around. Most of the other specs are the same - internal storage, RAM, GPS, Screen res. etc. The ITab has support for wi-fi b/g/n, as does the Transformer, but it also supports "a" (which you likely won't notice at the time). The Transformer DOES have a better battery, however - especially with the Keyboard dock.

ITab: 8 hrs.
Transformer (without dock): 9.5 hours.
Transformer (with dock): 16 hrs.

Transformer beats it pretty well.

Overall, I'd definitely go with the Transformer - as soon as it comes back in stock, that is. There must be a reason it is selling out ;)
If you can wait until that time comes, go with ASUS. It comes even with the ITab in some areas and everywhere else it comes out on top. Even better, the Transformer even has a lower price:
Transformer: $400
ITab: $450

haha well looks like you got me sold on that transformer i was looking at it last night and it looks perfect and a lot of times you just can't get it all done with the stylist when it comes to note taking.

I was also wondering about what sort of apps i could look into. Does the kindle app for the droid allow you to do note taking and highlighting?

What kind of apps are good for taking hand written notes using a stylist?

rancidveg

May 3, 2011
Hi all newbie alert

I am looking for a tablet that's not going to cost an arm a and a leg

main use
1. movies
2. ebooks

If I am reading I would like a tablet that can be seen in full sun
I also require some form of storage SD card or micro SD card for movie ..dont want to download direct to device
GPS would be great
wifi
Movies that play well on the tablet
Long battery life

3G not essential

It seems that every week there is a new tablet so now really confused ,and did I mention really really new to the tablet world
Definitely know I don't want an Apple

Like the look of the HTC Flyer but price puts me off

can someone provide options

thanks in advance

PTankard

May 10, 2011
I'm looking for a 10 inch tablet to purchase in the UK.

At least Android 2.2.

I need to be able to use a USB to load files to and from it. I need WiFi but not 3G. I need a physical menu button (i.e. not on screen) so that I can use apps such as Repligo Reader. I also need access to Android Marketplace.

All of this needs to come 'out of the' box as when I find the right one I may be ordering quite a lot of them and don't want to have to root each one.

Budget £200-£350 ideally but at the moment I can't find one to suit so will consider any.

Anyone got any suggestions.

Cheers

DanielT

May 10, 2011
Greetings all,
I hope enough experienced users frequent this thread to provide me with some authoritative opinions:

I'll just start off by saying in general terms of "what I am looking for" is something as close as possible to the Ipad 2.
I don't mean it should look like it or behave like it, or have the Apple software, etc.
I mean I want most of the practical functionality and features.

I will first describe what I intend to use it for, and then specifications I MUST have, and then ones I would really LIKE to have.

First, my primary usages will be:
[] Writing. I am authoring a book and need to be able to write everywhere I go. This means documents in any decent form, preferably Word format.
[] Web browsing. I will do a TON of this - via Wifi (no need for any kind of cellular connection whatsoever).
[] Face-to-face conferencing via Skype, Google, whatever is available. See below my note on forward-facing camera as a MUST.
[] I will need to take handwritten notes (via a capacitance pen) while on service calls.
[] Photo editing on occasion. The use of a capacitance pen as a stylus obviously would be terrific, if there is software that supports this.
[] Streaming video smoothly, including 720p HD. I understand this requires the necessary network quality, but I'm referring to the need for the device to be able to

handle the processing of HD smoothly.

SPECIFICATIONS:
MUSTS: Here's what I MUST have:

[] Capacitance screen
[] Very good battery life; at least 8 hours of use before needing to recharge (I am willing to accomodate this being shorter with heavy WiFi usage).
[] WiFi connectivity.
[] Multi-language keyboard support
[] A VERY VERRRRY accurate on-screen keyboard with very smart auto-correct for key proximity.
[] Be able to use a capacitance pen to take handwritten notes.
[] Be able to make complete backups of the entire system in the event of a need to completely restore the state.
[] Have the freedom to install any apps I get hold of, even if they are bootleg (think: jailbroken Ipad as comparison).
[] Audio via speakers and headphones
[] The ability (even if it is through a hack) to access the entire file system, via the tablet and/or a USB connection
[] 9" or larger screen, ~ 3.5 Lb or less. Basically, very comfortable to use all the time.
[] Brightness control, preferably with an auto-sensor option + manual
[] Forward-facing camera for web-conferencing

Here's what I would VERY MUCH LIKE to have, but NOT to be considered a NECESSITY:
[] The ability to gain root access to override anything that has been pre-designed but has been modified by the hacking community
[] Bluetooth :) Everything's better with Bluetooth

The one thing you needn't really take into consideration is price. I'm not spending $1,000 on this sucker, but I've been prepared to spend quite a lot. The price

will be considered based on what I would be getting for it, so don't shy away from the ultra-cheap to the $600 range.
Also, please don't be afraid to tell me "Just buy an Ipad 2," because I am considering that very seriously already.
Finally, I am fully prepared for the possibility that what I want doesn't quite exist yet. I don't want something that promises to do these things, but is known to fall short of those promises.

I'm looking for expert opinions on devices that people know are going to meet my needs and not disappoint me.

I thank you in advance for any input you could provide to me.
Dan

PS - United States.

Last edited:

DJACID

May 7, 2011
The asus transformer should be ideal,
Also the Samsung with the 8.9",

For a 7" the Acer A100 looks to be the best in the in market

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Greetings all,
I hope enough experienced users frequent this thread to provide me with some authoritative opinions:

I'll just start off by saying in general terms of "what I am looking for" is something as close as possible to the Ipad 2.
I don't mean it should look like it or behave like it, or have the Apple software, etc.
I mean I want most of the practical functionality and features.

I will first describe what I intend to use it for, and then specifications I MUST have, and then ones I would really LIKE to have.

First, my primary usages will be:
[] Writing. I am authoring a book and need to be able to write everywhere I go. This means documents in any decent form, preferably Word format.
[] Web browsing. I will do a TON of this - via Wifi (no need for any kind of cellular connection whatsoever).
[] Face-to-face conferencing via Skype, Google, whatever is available. See below my note on forward-facing camera as a MUST.
[] I will need to take handwritten notes (via a capacitance pen) while on service calls.
[] Photo editing on occasion. The use of a capacitance pen as a stylus obviously would be terrific, if there is software that supports this.
[] Streaming video smoothly, including 720p HD. I understand this requires the necessary network quality, but I'm referring to the need for the device to be able to

handle the processing of HD smoothly.

SPECIFICATIONS:
MUSTS: Here's what I MUST have:

[] Capacitance screen
[] Very good battery life; at least 8 hours of use before needing to recharge (I am willing to accomodate this being shorter with heavy WiFi usage).
[] WiFi connectivity.
[] Multi-language keyboard support
[] A VERY VERRRRY accurate on-screen keyboard with very smart auto-correct for key proximity.
[] Be able to use a capacitance pen to take handwritten notes.
[] Be able to make complete backups of the entire system in the event of a need to completely restore the state.
[] Have the freedom to install any apps I get hold of, even if they are bootleg (think: jailbroken Ipad as comparison).
[] Audio via speakers and headphones
[] The ability (even if it is through a hack) to access the entire file system, via the tablet and/or a USB connection
[] 9" or larger screen, ~ 3.5 Lb or less. Basically, very comfortable to use all the time.
[] Brightness control, preferably with an auto-sensor option + manual
[] Forward-facing camera for web-conferencing

Here's what I would VERY MUCH LIKE to have, but NOT to be considered a NECESSITY:
[] The ability to gain root access to override anything that has been pre-designed but has been modified by the hacking community
[] Bluetooth :) Everything's better with Bluetooth

The one thing you needn't really take into consideration is price. I'm not spending $1,000 on this sucker, but I've been prepared to spend quite a lot. The price

will be considered based on what I would be getting for it, so don't shy away from the ultra-cheap to the $600 range.
Also, please don't be afraid to tell me "Just buy an Ipad 2," because I am considering that very seriously already.
Finally, I am fully prepared for the possibility that what I want doesn't quite exist yet. I don't want something that promises to do these things, but is known to fall short of those promises.

I'm looking for expert opinions on devices that people know are going to meet my needs and not disappoint me.

I thank you in advance for any input you could provide to me.
Dan

PS - United States.

I can tell you right off of the bat that you WILL NOT find a tablet that can video chat. Skype for android just does not support it.
Also you could root to get the file access (The equivalent for android is called superuser.) There are no "jailbroken app stores" but you can install anything that you want to. I would recommend the Motorola Xoom. It has most of what you are looking for.

Last edited:

garbagecanman

Apr 3, 2011
I can tell you right off of the bat that you WILL NOT find a tablet that can video chat. Skype for android just does not support it.
Also you could root to get the file access (The equivalent for android is called superuser.) There are no "jailbroken app stores" but you can install anything that you want to. I would recommend the Motorola Xoom. It has most of what you are looking for.

Are you sure about that video chat??? sure skype doesnt work but i can video chat on my dell streak with fringe and tango...