This version of the device cannot be updated....

colinwhipple

Apr 21, 2011
I have the 7-inch Wi-Fi version, (GT-P1010) with firmware 2.2.1. Today I installed Samsung Kies and connected my tab. I get a message that "This version of the device cannot be updated".

That sounds very final. Does it mean that my device can never be updated, or does it just mean that there is no firmware update currently available for the GT-P1010?

Colin

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
It means the latter - Samsung has not yet released a firmware update for the P1010 (WiFi only) tab.

I have both a Sprint Tab and a WiFi only tab. Sprint recently released an update to Gingerbread (Android 2.3) for the tab. Samsung may get around to an update on the P1010 but from what I've heard from those with industry ties in other forums it is not likely to be a significant update (i.e., not a froyo to gingerbread update) and not likely to occur anytime much before the end of the calendar year.

The P1010 is sort of the red-headed stepchild of the first gen 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab family as Samsung sort of pulled a fast one on the consumers and used a lower grade ARM processor and graphics unit than what is installed in the Carrier Branded and Unlocked 3G tabs (and is noticeable on side to side comparisons of 3G vs. WiFi tabs during games and noticeably delayed screen redraws for pages with several app icons and widgets). Furthermore, the WiFi tab is missing some functions and features that are found on the 3G tabs including support for Bluetooth HID peripherals such as bluetooth keyboards and the HDMI and composite video output features have been removed such that the WiFi only tab is not compatible with some of the Samsung tab accessories such as the HDMI multimedia dock. I think these are rather glaring omissions that are not commensurate with the modest price reduction applied from the 3G units. Furthermore, Samsung was less than up front about these functional differences when marketing the tab - making it appear that the only difference was the lack of a 3G radio. In all, I've found the WiFi only tab to be a huge disappointment mainly because as an owner of a 3G tab, I know what I'm missing in the WiFi only tab and feel cheated. Sorry for the rant - but I feel compelled to get the word out to the WiFi only tab owners regarding these the dirty little secrets. Good luck.

Bluffh

Aug 25, 2011
Thanks for the above as I was just about to download Samsung "kies" and try and update my "WiFi" only P1010 which I purchased last week. I had hoped to do the update so that I could download Skype for use on a visit to the US in about a months. time. The originally installed Skype was voice only so I tried to update with the latest version with video but it will not install. I believe that this is a universal problem with this Tab! My question is can I find and instal the voice only version of Skype or has it become part of history? I would be grateful for any help as my family are keen to keep tabs(?) on me whilst I am away.

jeffystahl

Sep 4, 2011
I have the 7-inch T-Mobile version, (SGH-T849) with firmware 2.2. Today I installed Samsung Kies and connected my tab. I get a message that "This version of the device cannot be updated". I assume that Kies will recognize my tablet once they decide to support my model and a new update for kies is available. I have seen others use Odin to update samsung firmware. Do you think that could work for my model?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Thanks for the above as I was just about to download Samsung "kies" and try and update my "WiFi" only P1010 which I purchased last week. I had hoped to do the update so that I could download Skype for use on a visit to the US in about a months. time. The originally installed Skype was voice only so I tried to update with the latest version with video but it will not install. I believe that this is a universal problem with this Tab! My question is can I find and instal the voice only version of Skype or has it become part of history? I would be grateful for any help as my family are keen to keep tabs(?) on me whilst I am away.

Skype video does not work yet on most android devices.
A good alternative to skype is fring which lets you habe up to 4 video conference. .Another option if you just want to be able to make phone calls for free is sign up for google voice and get a free number then install groove ip and use the phone number with groove IP. You can call landlines and mobile phones with it

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

colinwhipple

Apr 21, 2011
Still no Gingerbread update for the Wifi only (GT-P1010) version. I checked thru Samsung Kies this morning.

TheSage

Sep 2, 2011
Maybe a class action should be started against samsung for their deception in failing to advise that wifi version is somewhat underpowered and and their lack of support

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

colinwhipple

Apr 21, 2011
I have the 7-inch Wi-Fi version, (GT-P1010) with firmware 2.2.1. Today I installed Samsung Kies and connected my tab. I get a message that "This version of the device cannot be updated".

That sounds very final. Does it mean that my device can never be updated, or does it just mean that there is no firmware update currently available for the GT-P1010?

Colin

Now I am getting a different message. It says "Your device does not support software upgrading via Kies." That sounds very final.

Colin

Stngmkr

Nov 9, 2011
I spoke with Samsung via webchat moments ago. I also have the Samsung Tab 7.0 (GT-P1010) and told them of the same issues with Kies saying my device does not support update through kies.
THey told me they had NO INFORMATION regarding this and do not know when this will be taken care of but will "forward it on to their supervisors". Which means exactly what we know it means.....
I am so frustrated right now. I purchased this thinking it would a great portable tablet but now i feel like i got the raw end of the deal.

Anyone know how we can complain about this to samsung and be heard??? Id get my money back but BestBuy will not take it back due to me having it for 80 days....im so ill.

colinwhipple

Apr 21, 2011
They changed the message again. Now it says "This is the latest firmware."

It would be nice if they told us what their plans are. But maybe they don't have a plan.

Jace11

Dec 31, 2011
Hi,
Sorry if you know this already but Kies just carried out a firmware upgrade to 2.3.6
Been waiting since July!
Here's hoping it is worth the wait.