Touch Screen Problem

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
Just got my new Nexus 7 2nd Gen and spent hours setting it up like my old Nexus 7. But I notice that the touch area across the top edge where the Google Now bar resides in not very responsive. In some apps there is a function bar in that area and there is very poor to no touch response. Has anyone else noticed this? I feel like I should return it for replacement.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I have a problem using the touch screen after taking a morning shower. I think it's because all the oils on my fingers are washed off, so the 'capacitive' thing isn't working until I rub my hands together or lick/spit on my fingers. So I think I will try keeping a small rag handy near the place I use the tablet in the morning, or on the desk, and before using the screen, I will rub my hands in the rag often. I think eventually there will be enough skin oils from my hands on the rag that I can "re-oil" my fingers if they are too dry.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
as anyone addressed this peculiar thing to Google?

I'm having trouble now using the virtual keyboard. I have Big Buttons Deluxe installed. Some keys are not responsive, and you have to try them many times before finding just the right spot to get it to type a letter. Then the key goes nuts and I usually end up having several letters in a row.

In games like Vexed or Solitaire are troublesome to play, as you have to find the right spot to drag things from place to place.

I tried using a paint application to test the suspected spot, and it seems to work fine when you tap it there.

AFAICT, it started just after the upgrade to Android 4.4.2

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I have something else to add that might help: when I put the tablet in my lap, I have no problems tapping or controlling things on the screen, but wheb I put it on a plastic hock/easel I made, it gets really hard to tap on things.

I was thinking that maybe static is affecting things? I usually sit in a cloth-covered recliner when I use the tablet in the house.

I postedthis on the Google forum for this device: Google Groups topic

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
there such a thing as an anti-static cloth for your tablet screen? I keep coming back to the static thing. After turning the device off al night, the screen works perfectly in the morning for a while, then it goes back to being unresponsive.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I was playing a solitaire game on my Nexus 7, and the Menu button (in the bottom right corner in landscape orientation) stopped working!

I restarted the device a few times, and nothing changed. I even uninstalled and re-installed the game with no difference. The tablet crashed, and is stuck on the boot animation (see my other topic here.)

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Since people are reporting that the screen works, or works better while the device is charging, I wondered if it would work with just the charge cable plugged in by itself. So I got my spare data cable and plugged that in, and the screen started working very well, with only a few double-letters from the keyboard. I even tried one of those retractable charging wires, and that worked as well, as long as you have it extended some.

So, now you at least have a workaround, to get the screen working on the desk or the bed, etc. until the problem real problem can be fixed. Or, you can just hold the tablet with one hand and operate the screen with the other one.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I guess I'm just lucky, mine works fine whether it's charging or not. I had a little problem with that top of the screen problem, but as soon as it updated, that went away.

surgeman

Feb 22, 2013
The touch sensitivity isn't configured properly in the firmware itself...I run across an app on Blackmart you can install it and it will modify the configuration to set your touch to light to heavy...I run across this also on my Samsung Mega with the back button on the stock firmware.

surgeman

Feb 22, 2013
Try SGS Touchscreen Booster in the playstore and play around with the settings....See if it makes any improvements to it...

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think it will work on my device. I had the sensitivity up full, and my touches didn't get any better yet. Maybe it will take a little time to really affect things, so wee will see soon.

surgeman

Feb 22, 2013
Set it and have it set on boot...Then reboot...It has helped some various devices I have tried it on...

Music

Feb 5, 2011
WOW..

Obviously, I have the wrong settings selected. It stopped responding to most touches, so I put it back to normal settings...

I think I'm going to keep the data cable plugged in, UFN.