transferring bigpond email to Nexus 7

Sheehan1

Jun 25, 2013
This is my first tablet and being an old fart I am not that good with these things. I have an email account with Bigpond and also gmail. I can send and receive gmails on my tablet. I have been trying to set up an account on the tablet for the bigpond email. I enter my username and my password and POP 3 server Security type (none) Port 110) and when I press next it comes up with a message "Couldnt open connection to server" Is it possible to do this or am I doing something wrong

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

Found this:

After searching hi and low I found this on the bigpond website,

INCOMING SERVER SETTINGS
POP Server: pop3.live.com
Security: This server requires a secure connection (SSL)
Port: Default SSL Port 995
OUTGOING SERVER SETTINGS
SMTP Server: smtp.live.com
Security: This server requires a secure connection (TLS or SSL Encryption depending on the mail client you’re using)
If you are currently using Outlook, Mac Mail, iPhones, Windows Phones, Android’s please use TLS.
Port: Default TLS Port 587
IMPORTANT – ALSO BE SURE TO:
Tick the box indicating outgoing server requires authentication (in most email clients, this is not selec ted by default).
Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) with the POP and SMTP connection, and SMTP authentication for security.
All other customers will be updated to Bigpond Email with Windows Live during 2012 and can use the below settings until that time:
Incoming (POP3) mail server: mail.bigpond.com
Outgoing (SMTP) mail server: mail.bigpond.com
Username: Your full BigPond email address (e.g. [email protected] or [email protected])
Password: Your email password
Secure Password Authentication (SPA) should be unselected or unticked, if you're asked

As I dont use live, only the bottom settings were relevent and it works a treat.

Sheehan1

Jun 25, 2013
Thanks for going to all that trouble. I tried to change some of the input to what you found but still no luck. I will contact Bigpond on Monday. I tried to avoid that because everytime I ring Bigpond or Telstra my bloodpressure goes up and I am on the phone for about 1 hour talking to machines and getting stuffed around. I am sure most Australians would understand what I am talking about