Trouble with capacitive touch on 7022

jabby

Apr 22, 2011
I had a 7022 arrive a couple of days ago and I have been comparing to my 7024. There are two differences that jumped out at me and I'm wondering if I have a defective tablet.

1-The touch screen on the 7022 is not as responsive as on the 7024. I did a search on the problem and found many references to the keyboard not responding. This was the first thing that brought this problem to my attention. Since then I have noticed that, on occasion, I have to tap the screen several times to get a page turn on several different ereader apps. I have two different brand of capacitive styli (styluses?) and neither register by the 7022, only my finger works. What is strange is that both styli work with the 7024 .

2-The 7022 is noticeably slower than the 7024. I thought a first that it might be the additional overhead of OS2.3 vs 2.2. But it appears that the difference is the processors. The 7023 is using the Samsung S5PV210 Cortex A8 while the 7022 is using the Telechip TCC8803 Cortex A8.

Any comments would be welcome , in particular, from those that have both the 7022 and the 7024.

Regards - John

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
1. Something is wrong with your stylus (or tablet): ones that work for resistive screens are nothing else but a plastic stick to make pressure on the screen, while stylus that work with capacitive screens usually have a foam or rubber tip that makes the capacitive contact that creates the tap so you cannot use one type with other screen and vice-versa.

2. Yes, the Telechips A8 is worse than Samsung A8 specially regarding Graphics. Actually, installing 2.3 on 7024 should make it feel even faster.

jabby

Apr 22, 2011
1. Something is wrong with your stylus (or tablet): ones that work for resistive screens are nothing else but a plastic stick to make pressure on the screen, while stylus that work with capacitive screens usually have a foam or rubber tip that makes the capacitive contact that creates the tap so you cannot use one type with other screen and vice-versa.
I need to be more clear.
I will use three tablets: Toshiba Thrive(capacitive screen), Coby 7022 and a Coby 7024. I will use two styli: a foam tipped capacitive type and a plastic tipped one meant for resistive screens (the one that came in the 7024 box)

The plastic tipped resistive stylus only works with the Coby 7024.

The foam tipped capacitive stylus works with both the Thrive and the Coby 7024 but not with the Coby 7022. This is not a typo. The foam tipped capacitive stylus works with the 7024 but not the 7022. A capacitive stylus works well on all my resistive tables for tapping such as ebook page turn, item selection and typing. When I drag stuff I use my fingernail.

So my question is: Why won't my 7022 respond to a capacitive stylus? Do I have a defective tablet?

Regards - John

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
So my question is: Why won't my 7022 respond to a capacitive stylus? Do I have a defective tablet?

I think so. I have never used a 7022, but a styus with a rubber tip works just fine with my MID1024 (also capacitive screen) and with an iPhone4. Either way, if it's not working well if the tip of your finger, then it's not good.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
I dont believe you can calibrate a capacitive screen...only resistive screens.

Theres a calibration app tha tcomes with the tablet not sure what it does or if it would even help. Personally never had any problems with my 7022 acts and responds just like my phone/ipod/etc

skydancerusa

Sep 22, 2011
Hi, I have both the 7024 and a newly acquired 7022.(ToysRus had them on sale last week and I couldn't resist as I had wanted a touch screen)The touchscreen on the 7022 works great except I noticed you have to touch the lowest (the darker) row a little bit higher in order to get the response. The screen is generally VERY touch responsive and much easier to use than the 7024. I have no problem turning pages by touching the edge of the screen. Very smooth on both kindle and aldiko reader. You may indeed have a defective screen. The 7022 seems to me to work pretty much as fast as the 7024. I can stream netflix without problem on both. I must say, I like the 7024, but I LOVE the 7022 for its touchscreen. Works the same as the touch screen on my android phone. Just as a test, I tried the 7024 hard tip stylus on the 7022 and as someone else pointed out, it does not work. Anne (Love my Kyros)

Last edited:

jabby

Apr 22, 2011
After re-calibrating and trying everything else I could think of I called CobyUSA customer support. I described the situation and went through a couple checks with them and they said I had a defective unit. So ToysRUs gets it back. In fact, it's on its way.

Thanks to all for the help!

Regards - John

XRing

Jul 5, 2011
My Coby MID7022 seems to have bad adhesive under the screen edges.
Two corners are popping up slightly, just about ever day.
Have to push down on them to get them to 'pop' back into place.

Wev'e been using it since July 7, 2011 and it's been getting really erratic lately.
Screen was very insensitive when trying to log on or use the KB.

I just called Toys-R-Us and they sent me a return label.
It's going back tomorrow, via UPS.
They didn't make it clear, if this was going to be a replacement or refund..?

My wife wants a replacment tablet ASAP.. :)

XRing

Jul 5, 2011
Got my refund (store credit) and picked up a Kindle Fire. So far, my wife likes it.
Screen response is much better than the old Coby 7022. The Fire seems faster overall..

The $25 gift card that came with the 7022 had expired about 2 weeks ago. :(
But, I was still able to get a $23 credit for it.. I got the Toys-R-Us return-replace insurance again. Just in case.

Last edited: