Unable to erase device (reset stock 1.3) Unable to reset device locally

spdsl

Mar 22, 2011
I have a dual boot setup with cm7 on emmc 1 (primary) and stock eclair 1.3 on emmc 2. Due to a email change on my B&N account I de-registered the nook successfully from the B&N system before changing my email address. This is good but now I can't register my stock nook 1.3 with B&N. When I go into device info it shows that my nook is not registered with no owner and no account. I then choose the erase & deregister device option and the erase device option appears. I choose to reset my nook but I get a message saying " Unable to reset device locally" It seems that without a reset the stock 1.3 software won't let me register on the B&N system. Any help would be great.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
First of all why would you be using stock Eclair? B&N has updated well beyond that at this point including the ability to use Flash and Netflix. As far as the device reset you should try B&N tech support and let them know you are trying to erase and deregister and then reregister with a different email. They may be able to handle that on their end.

And for the sake of all that is good and glorious in Android, update to at least B&N 1.2 which is Froyo!

Current B&N version is 1.4.2 which is Android 2.3 Gingerbread
B&N 1.3 is Android 2.3 Gingerbread (it sounds like you might mean you have B&N 1.3)
B&N 1.2 is Android 2.2 Froyo
B&N 1.1 and 1.0 are Android 2.1 Eclair

spdsl

Mar 22, 2011
Your right I am at B&N 1.3 Gingerbread.

I chatted with B&N and they gave me instructions on how to do a hard reset. Officially they told me I was DE-registered and not on their system but I can't finish the erase procedure or the hard reset. My B&N 1.3 is on the alternate partition and doing the hard reset key combinations has been unsuccessful. I am starting to think that the B&N 1.3 has to be on the primary partition to do a the erase. My nook knows that I am not registered but it wants to to erase my data as well, which is fine with me, but that's where I get the " Unable to reset device locally" Its seems that without a data erase the Nook will not let me register again.

I have adb working if this helps me in any way.

Thanks J5150P your usually the first person to lend a hand.

Last edited: