(HOW TO) Uninstall Clockwork Recovery and revert to a stock image

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Very weird, if you are flashing the stock 1.0.1 there is no way you should be booting into rooted but it sure sounds like you are. Next time you get it booted you should see if you can connect via usb to your PC and see what your internal memory file structure looks like. It sounds like you might have duplicate folders or files or partitions which is why you are having trouble wiping and the old files stay. By all rights there is no way the other guys files should be on there except that there are two folder structures. One you are wiping and one that you keep booting into.

JP

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
it doesnt show up in my computer :/ is there a way to make it do that? ive got all the drivers updated for adb maybe thats why?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If it is booting into a rooted device you may need to go into Settings and turn on usb debugging. If the box is already checked uncheck it then recheck it. Plug in usb to pc and nook and it should show up as a drive under my computer.

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
i got adb and nook color to work!! im about to follow restore to stock using adb and report back. fingers crossed my friends!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Nook Color Tools>All Settings>Development>USB debugging.

Been in CM7 for a while so I forgot the options in Nook Color Tools but now booted back into rooted 1.0.1 same as you and I see lots of options to erase and deregister. You may want to try them all.

JP

Droider

Jun 12, 2011
The Over the air update is not reliable. Erase and deregister doesn't mean you will get an over the air update it is rather random. Just to be clear you are running a stock nook not rooted at this point correct? In that case you can side load the B&N 1.2 update directly to the nook. Go to B&N follow their instructions and download the zip file. Leave it zipped, remove any SD card in your nook to be sure you are only looking at nook internal memory.

Plug in your usb into your pc with your nook turned on but with the screen locked plug the usb into the nook. Now unlock the nook and hopefully your PC will detect it. Move the 1.2 zip file to the root of the internal memory (not in any folder). Eject the nook from the pc so that it says safe to remove. Unplug the usb tap the power button to put the nook to sleep and wait 5 minutes. The update should start.

JP

I previously installed CWM, CM7, and Gapps. After this, I went back to 1.0.1 stock but I never could get either XP or Win7 to detect the Nook. In XP, under "My Computer" at least two drives show up but you can't open them. In Win7, no drive shows up in "Computer." I want to return the Nook for some other tablet but I'm afraid when I do, someone will check which version of Android is installed and find out 1.2 is not there. I plan to de-register it before I return it so that may discourage some snooping.

What do you think?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I previously installed CWM, CM7, and Gapps. After this, I went back to 1.0.1 stock but I never could get either XP or Win7 to detect the Nook. In XP, under "My Computer" at least two drives show up but you can't open them. In Win7, no drive shows up in "Computer." I want to return the Nook for some other tablet but I'm afraid when I do, someone will check which version of Android is installed and find out 1.2 is not there. I plan to de-register it before I return it so that may discourage some snooping.

What do you think?

I guess you are saying your nook came with 1.2 or it wouldn't matter if you had 1.0.1 on it. I still don't think it matters as long as you are returning a stock nook. Strange that you can get the drive to show up under XP but not acces them and can't even see it in Win7.

If you have 2 drives show up it means you must have an SD card inserted. Remove any SD card and connect to your XP PC. Then just paste the 1.2 zip file into the drive that shows up when you onnect your Nook by right clicking the drive and selecting paste after copying the zip.

JP

toomuch

May 21, 2011
OK I am stuck here, what is a CWR.B?
I am trying to figure out what this abbreviation means, can anyone help me please?

>No matter your reason for wanting to revert to stock, I have pieced together a quick way to: A. remove CWR B. delete any installed apps or custom roms C. restore your NC to a stock state. I know >that not everyone has a membership at XDA, so I compiled the information here into a single thread.

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
yeah, i was messing around in the nook color tools, and i had two options for erase and deregister, both of them go to the settings option for erase and deregister, both fail :(

i had some issues getting sd cards formatted and with proper fiiles for this adb process, but im about to go through and run things according to instructions for wiping and resetting via adb.... finally lol

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
clockworkmod recovery =cwr or "clock work recovery" that b. is the continuation of the next section of instructions, like

(a.) remove cwr (b.)delte any apps.... like that.

Droider

Jun 12, 2011
I guess you are saying your nook came with 1.2 or it wouldn't matter if you had 1.0.1 on it. I still don't think it matters as long as you are returning a stock nook. Strange that you can get the drive to show up under XP but not acces them and can't even see it in Win7.

If you have 2 drives show up it means you must have an SD card inserted. Remove any SD card and connect to your XP PC. Then just paste the 1.2 zip file into the drive that shows up when you onnect your Nook by right clicking the drive and selecting paste after copying the zip.

JP

I don't have an SD card in the Nook. The two drives just come up like that. If you click on either one, Windows states that I have to "insert a disc into the drive" with a spinning hourglass that doesn't stop until I click "cancel". I hope I can solve this before I return it. They only give 14 days.

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
clockworkmod recovery =cwr or "clock work recovery" that b. is the continuation of the next section of instructions, like

(a.) remove cwr (b.)delte any apps.... like that.

Jake, where you at? :eek: I think we are all following your exploits now.

Droider

Jun 12, 2011

JP

That's the thing, I don't have an SD card installed in the Nook when the two drives show up in My Computer. It's the weirdest thing that XP is behaving this way. The Nook screen shows the USB message stating that I can now transfer files from my PC to the Nook. Are there any drivers to compensate for this?

Thanks.

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
i have posted the nook for sale with a 16gb sd card, letting the potential buyers know that it needs some work, and someone better than i should be able to fix it. i just cant get it. i admit defeat :(