Unrooting problem - CM7 RC4

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Hi ..
I recently rooted my NC to CM7- RC4, and truthfully.... I do not like it! I should have just left it alone... I had autonooter, so I had the market and my NC Reader.

All this started when I thought I wanted a tablet with bluetooth for my stories I have been writing, but now that I have it? I just would like to unroot and go back.

The video I did this by, loads 5 pieces of info on a SD card ( ROM Clockwork Recovery, etc ) but then you put the SD card into your NC and let it boot, and then take the SD card out, and it installs on your internal memory..

Quote from video...Please note that this wipes *everything* off your internal drive.

Can anyone tell me how to undo what I've done or at least maybe give me a website/sticky to read so I can revert my NC back to stock?? I promise, after this.... I'll go away quietly... (LOL)

Last edited:

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Can you link to the video? Your install sounds kind of wonky, which might explain why you don't like it. Personally, I cannot imagine going back to autonooter since I've seen CM7.

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Well, what I don't like about it is, 1. You tube doesn't work as well. Auto Nooter didn't work too well, but the CM7 I thought was supposed to be almost perfect. It's not. It stops and starts. 2. I connect to my sister's wireless which is next door. Using the Autonooter, I connected and it was pretty fast. The CM7, is not fast at all, and there are places in my house that I used to be able to connect, now, I can't

3. I knew I would lose my books/magazines.. but I downloaded the Nook App, got my books back, but no more mags.

I just would like to either go back to auto-nooter or stock..

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Hello again Rhonda, been a while.

The reason you don't have the market is because you did not install gapps http://goo-inside.me/gapps/latest/7/universal/ this must be done from ClockworkMod. As well if you go into settings>CyanogenMod settings>performance>CPU settings and and set the max cpu to 950mhz you will see a noticeable increase in speed. Alternately you can flash the oc kernal here http://nook.handhelds.ru/dalingrin/kernels/040411/update-CM7-dalingrin-OC-emmc-040411.zip you can overclock up to 1100mhz this also must be done from ClockworkMod and will give you a significant boost in speed.

Sorry to hear you are not enjoying CM7 perhaps you may want to update to the Newly released stable version http://mirror.teamdouche.net/get/update-cm-7.0.0-encore-signed.zip
If not, did you make a back up of your original Rooted-Stock as was discussed? If you did simply re-boot into CLockworkMod and restore your the back-up of your original. If you didn't it is a rather involved process to get back to stock. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html these are detailed step-by-step instructions to return your NC to stock. You need to read VERY carefully and follow the directions exactly.

For the record as I have tried to explain before Auto-Nooter is not a ROM it is a tool for rooting your Nook Color. The wireless issues should be worked out in the latest version of CM7 if not a re-boot usually fixes it. Youtube is not going to work on Rooted Stock the only ROMs in which Youtube works are those that are based on Android 2.2 or above, Phiremod, UD, Nookie Froyo etc. I believe it was explained that you would lose some of the B&N usability is you flashed a different ROM. This includes the magazines.

I really am sorry that you are unhappy with your current set-up. After all the hard work seems a shame to go back to square one, however if that is what you wish the instructions above should get you there.

I can't stress this enough-Everything you need to know to get your NC back to stock is in the thread I posted above. Read it through- at least three times -when you think you understand, read it again. Download all the files you need, prepare everything in advance, and then read the thread again. Going back to stock can be a whole lot more complex than rooting in the first place so you REALLY need to make sure that you are prepared. In the event you have issues, after you have read the thread, come back here and I will do everything I can to help.

I can't stress this enough, You have to be absolutely sure you know what is going on BEFORE you start the process, or it will, as they say, all end in tears. I would rather not have that happen to you sister so please Be Prepared

That's the best I can do for you. Best of luck and again if you need further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

LS

Last edited:

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Oh everything is fine, now.

In answer to your statement, " Local Stain" I do have the market.. I just wanted the Nook part too! I did download the app, but even though I knew I wouldn't have access to the magazine part, I still wanted it. To remedy the problem, I just went out and purchased a second Nook Color. Now... Books and Tablet!!

The video I watched was fine. The video's are put on You tube, by a fine young man, who was recently featured with a wonderful article on how he was helping people ( like me ) who wants a tablet but just doesn't understand the instructions when it's written down.

That being said, I do thank you for your advice.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
No worries Rhonda, glad I could help, or not ;-). I am with you on the second Nook. I think I am going to buy myself another one simply so that I can have one to use regularly and one to play around with ROMs and so forth.

I do hope you enjoy both of your Nook's whether stock or not it is a wonderful device.

Cheers,

Be Well,

LS

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I just wanted the Nook part too! I did download the app, but even though I knew I wouldn't have access to the magazine part, I still wanted it. To remedy the problem, I just went out and purchased a second Nook Color. Now... Books and Tablet!!

Rhonda, glad to hear you got a second Nook. I think given everyting you wanted that is an ideal solution. Reader and tablet with bluetooh and flash. I do still hope you autonooter your reader nook since as you know you will still have the B&N functions plus some of the tablet functions. :)

JP

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
glad to hear you are sorted out Rhonda! and an nice and easy solution to your dilemma :)
and now that you have flash...here's a couple of apps that would help in your enjoyment

vitalplayer neon - plays a ton of different formats - great for watching movies you converted and loaded into your nook color
TV Show Stream - a great program that links to a number of old and new TV shows - i used it to catch up on old shows i missed like fringe, outer limits, and yes ancient aliens :)
Playon - which lets you access content on your pc or stream via your pc, movies from netflix, amazon VOD, Hulu and other streaming sites - i use it alot for streaming Comedy Central

and with bluetooth support, you can pickup a cheap bluetooth gps ($17 to $50) and use your nook for navigation or as in my case use it for location based apps like geodelic, where and zagat nru

In answer to your statement, " Local Stain" I do have the market.. I just wanted the Nook part too! I did download the app, but even though I knew I wouldn't have access to the magazine part, I still wanted it. To remedy the problem, I just went out and purchased a second Nook Color. Now... Books and Tablet!!

The video I watched was fine. The video's are put on You tube, by a fine young man, who was recently featured with a wonderful article on how he was helping people ( like me ) who wants a tablet but just doesn't understand the instructions when it's written down.

That being said, I do thank you for your advice.

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
glad to hear you are sorted out Rhonda! and an nice and easy solution to your dilemma :)
and now that you have flash...here's a couple of apps that would help in your enjoyment

vitalplayer neon - plays a ton of different formats - great for watching movies you converted and loaded into your nook color
TV Show Stream - a great program that links to a number of old and new TV shows - i used it to catch up on old shows i missed like fringe, outer limits, and yes ancient aliens :)
Playon - which lets you access content on your pc or stream via your pc, movies from netflix, amazon VOD, Hulu and other streaming sites - i use it alot for streaming Comedy Central

and with bluetooth support, you can pickup a cheap bluetooth gps ($17 to $50) and use your nook for navigation or as in my case use it for location based apps like geodelic, where and zagat nru[/QUOTE

Thanks !! I really am excited to have 2 NookColors, along with my daughter having a NC, we now own 3!!!! (LOL)
Have a question for you though. Do you just download the app for vital player neon, and then go to Hulu to watch? Reason I am asking is I tried to go to Hulu and I got a pop up saying, " Not available for android, but we are trying to make Hulu available" ?

Also.... can you tell me why my You Tube isn't working too well?? Do I need an app for that too???

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Hey Rhonda try this TubeXL.apk it is a tweaked version of Youtube that has always worked for me. You need to un-install your current Youtube app.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Copy the TubeXL.apk that you downloaded from the link I gave you to your SD card.

Open the Market go to "My Apps" find Youtube tap on it, tap uninstall.

Re-Boot. Use a file manager, Astro or ES File Explorer> Navigate to the TubeXl.apk

Tap on it, tap install.

Re-boot.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Uhhhh, no. I actually just saw your other post and was going to get back to you in a minute. Hehehe.

I had a similar issue myself a few days ago so bear with me while I ask a few questions ok,

Have you tried "Fix Permissions" This is very simple and is the first thing you should do if something goes wonky. Whether it is an app, wifi, or, well anything. It will usually straighten things out.

Go to Rom Manager>Tap Fix Permissions, when it is done and the "You Should Reboot Your Phone Now" prompt pops up> hold down the power button for 8-10 seconds until your NC turns off. This is called a "hard re-boot". After it fires up check your wifi....

Alternately-Which version of CM7 are you on? If you haven't updated to the latest version you should http://mirror.cyanogenmod.com/get/update-cm-7.0.0-encore-signed.zip it sorted out my issues with wifi.

Give the fix permissions a shot first.

Cheers

LS

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Ok, thanks !! I panicked again, ( What I do best!! ) But, guess what?? I fixed it myself!!! (LOL) How? Not sure! I was still tinkering with it, and have 2 wireless points that I can connect too. I took one of them off, rebooted, and it connected right up!! Go figure!

I will remember what you said though.

As for the system I am running.... it's official name is, CM7 RC4 ..... Is this the most current.