upgrade firmware

eglevy

Jul 14, 2010
My son sent me a generic android tablet which he ordered from China. Of course, it came with no docs. Many of the apps do not work. It has the firmware 1.6. I was told that I could upgrade to 2.1 or 2.2 which should correct all the problems, but I cannot find out how to do this. Can anyone help me?

baohx2000

Jun 13, 2010
My son sent me a generic android tablet which he ordered from China. Of course, it came with no docs. Many of the apps do not work. It has the firmware 1.6. I was told that I could upgrade to 2.1 or 2.2 which should correct all the problems, but I cannot find out how to do this. Can anyone help me?

I wish you luck, but from what I've seen so far, the most people have done so far with those cheap tablets are to slightly modify the current firmware of the device. I don't think I've seen ANY tablets upgraded from 1.x to 2.x. Most manufacturers are just popping out these tablets for easy $. I don't think many of them even have upgrading in mind.

Personally, I'm waiting to see how well the Dell Streak does. Hopefully they don't lock down the device like Motorola is starting to do.

greenrobot

Oct 12, 2010
Hi same situation seen various posts about manually updating phone os but not tablet I was thinking about building from source 2.1 os and then installing on device but still looking for the easy option. Any news anyone???

maxter41

Oct 12, 2010
Hi all
I guess its a growing problem if you cant read chinese. The boat we are all in better be big, becouse I've got the download but dont know what to do with it. I do know that the 600mhz will only go up to 1.7 as Ive been told. Any help on how to redo the tablet in english would be a great help. thanks all

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
Don't hold your breath. First off, there is no correspondence between CPU speed and Android version. I run 2.2 on my 500something phone. And there is no Android 1.7 - That's just a label the crafty Chinese has invented to signify a custom version of 1.6
Basically, unless A) the manufacturer decides to release a later version upgrade or B) decides to release all their source code (to make it possible for the community to further develop firmware) all we can hope for is tweaked versions of the original firmware.
Every version of every tablet has its own set of hardware, and to create a new firmware we need the source code for those drivers (along with the base Android source).

BCCowboy

Aug 4, 2011
I was sent an upgrade for my Android Tablet, and I loaded it onto an SD Card, but i dont know how to actually install it. Anyone have any ideas? I was told that it would upgrade itself once you turn off the machine and then turn it back on, but it doesnt seem to work and i cannot download any APPS. I have Android V 2.2 with Kernal V2.6.32 and Build Number Froyo V1.3.1

Thanks

margamon

Feb 21, 2012
hello, new member same proble here!

tablet patten lock no idea how to unlock it
any hel please!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Margamon, congratulations on your new tablet and welcome to the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Android Tablet Q&A section for you, where more people are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck!

margamon

Feb 21, 2012
I was sent an upgrade for my Android Tablet, and I loaded it onto an SD Card, but i dont know how to actually install it. Anyone have any ideas? I was told that it would upgrade itself once you turn off the machine and then turn it back on, but it doesnt seem to work and i cannot download any APPS. I have Android V 2.2 with Kernal V2.6.32 and Build Number Froyo V1.3.1

Thanks

turn off the tablet insert the card, and turn the tablet back on, then follow the instructions

now can you share that upgrade please!