Upgraded internal microSD card

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
So I have finally figured out how to change out the internal card with a larger card. I removed the internal 4 GB card and placed it into a converter to mount it on my computer. At first the pc wouldn't read the card, but after unmounting and then remounting the drive I got five separate "Mass Storage Device" icons to display in /computer. I am using Ubuntu 10.04, so I don't really know how this converts to a Windows OS. I then went to system/administrator/disk utility and found out there were actually a total of seven partitions on the 4 GB card.

I then mounted my 16 GB microSD card on my pc (also with a converter.) I formatted the card as a Master Boot Disk and then I opened the root terminal and input:

dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/mmcblk0

This line command is for cloning from one location to another. /dev/sdb was the location of the 4 GB card and /dev/mmcblk0 was the location of the 16 GB card. So, what I essentially did was make a carbon copy of the smaller card onto the larger one.

I then put the 16 GB card into the tablet and started it like normal. The tablet worked perfectly. The only downside to cloning is that the tablet still reads the 16 GB card as only 4 GB. But I am going to use fsck -r to expand the 2.5 GB partition out to include the rest of the card now that I know it works.

The only problem I have encountered is that I accidentally broke the little ribbon for the touchscreen. So I now don't have a working touchscreen. I am currently looking around to try and find a replacement or a way to fix the ribbon already installed. I only broke the very end off. But I am able to use a wireless mouse without any problems.

Update: I have added the pics and they are of the inside of the tablet. I know there is another post with pics already, but I decided too much is sometimes not enough.

This one actually shows the 16 GB card inserted into the internal tf slot.

I have a couple more but they are a little fuzzy so I will see if I can clean them up a little bit.

Last edited:

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
So a new touchscreen is going to cost me about $30 US from the china grabber people. They are a banned vendor on this forum, but that is where I bought mine from so they should be able to make sure I have picked the right one. If someone knows of a better, faster, or cheaper place let me.

Sent from my Huawei Ascend M860 using Android Tablet Forum App

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
I haven't really looked around too much, like I said, I bought mine from china grabber because that is where the tablet came from in the first place. Just contact the people that sold you the tablet (assuming you liked their customer service) and I will bet they have one. If you didn't like them then just shop around and find a good price. I can't post the link to the one I ordered because that vendor has been banned on this site.

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
So I got my new touchscreen, and the glass is broke! The only sad part is that it is simply cheaper to buy another than send it back for a replacement. I will try to get some pics of the ribbon in the next day or two. I thought about trying to take the ribbon of the new one but it seems stuck together pretty well with glue of some kind.

Sent from my Flytouch 2 Generation 2 using Android Tablet Forum App