USB Charging

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
Alot of people who I asked, said the the 7042 doesnt charge via the USB slot

it turns out it does, just very very slowly
the default ac adapter delivers 5V and 2A
I used a USB ac adapter that put out 5V and 1A
brought it down to 50% then plugged it in and turned on airplane mode, left it overnight, in the morning it was fully charged

it takes alot longer but it does charge it,the USB slot on your computer delivers even less at 0.5A

thats why it always seem to maintain the current charge level when plugged into your computer but never seems to go up

Last edited:

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
I had been wondering that. Have you tried a car charger? I would expect it to be the same as an AC charger. Thanks again.

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011
It has been my observation that once you make a usb mount with a PC or whatever the device doesn't really charge right from usb. If you disconnect the cable or reboot and DON'T activate a USB mount it does...

YMMV

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
I had been wondering that. Have you tried a car charger? I would expect it to be the same as an AC charger. Thanks again.

As someone who sells this sort of thing I can tell you this:

Somewhere on the USB adaptor (mains or 12V) will be a current rating in A or mA, this will typically be 1A/1000mA but there are exceptions.

In order to charge one of these tablets at normal speed I reccommend using a powered hub or a USB charger designed for iPads (iPads sepcify 2.1A for charging).

Bruinx97

May 16, 2012
Looking at the charger for the Kryos 7042-4, it is a 5V 2000 mA, which is 2A. Looking at my iPhone's charger it is a 1A charger...so I can use it to charge the 7042. It just won't charge as fast.

Subtotal, what happens if I use a higher Amp charger say a 3A charger to the 7042? Would it just charge faster or would it ruin the battery?

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
Has anyone noticed that the unit seems to charge faster if left screen down. Could just be me. I haven't truly done a timed comparison. I just noticed that at work, when I turn the unit off, plug it into my work laptop USB and leave the tablet face down it seems to charge faster.

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
Looking at the charger for the Kryos 7042-4, it is a 5V 2000 mA, which is 2A. Looking at my iPhone's charger it is a 1A charger...so I can use it to charge the 7042. It just won't charge as fast.

Subtotal, what happens if I use a higher Amp charger say a 3A charger to the 7042? Would it just charge faster or would it ruin the battery?

It depends on how the charging circuit is setup, I was using a 3A power supply on my 7022 (closest I could get with an NZ plug) with no problems. I never actually timed it, but charging time seemed about the same.

The thing to remember about power supplies (chargers) these days is that the listed current that it's capable of outputting, as long as these tablets have a basic charging circuit (as opposed to putting 5V across the battery terminals) then the tablet will only draw as much current as it needs during charging.