USB to PC with VTAB1008 after Honeycomb

wlellis

Dec 23, 2011
I apologize if this is a duplicate post, but "usb" comes up as too common a word for the forum search option to give me any results. I was having trouble seeing my VTAB1008 on my PC with Windows 7. The driver on the Vizio web site gave me some kind of Android phone driver, which didn't do anything for me. So I started a chat with William, an Vizio tech, who walked me through the following:

>Plug in the tablet to the USB port on your computer and the micro USB port on the tablet.
>On your computer, Click on START, then on COMPUTER
>Click on SYSTEM PROPERTIES
>Click on Device Manager
>You should see the following: Other Devices VTAB1008
>Double click on VTAB1008 with the yellow exclamation point. The box below will pop up
>Click on Update Driver
>Next click on “Browse my computer for driver software”
>Next, click on “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”
>Scroll down on the left window until you get to Portable Devices, highlight it and click next.
>Click once on Standard MTP Device and the right window will populate. Next click on MTP USB
Device and click on NEXT (MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol)
>Click YES to the Update Driver Warning
>When completed, you will be told that Windows has successfully updated the driver.
>Click on Close and you should be returned to Device Manager and now the VTAB1008 will
appear under Portable Devices.
>Your computer will likely now pop up with a new drive detected, just as it would if you plugged
in a USB Flash drive. Click on “Open device to view files”

Worked great for me!

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
Not working for me, it already shows as a Mass Storage Device and states device cannot be started, found under USB controllers on device page. It was the only device that loaded when VTAB was plugged in.

UPDATE: I deleted the MSD from the device manager. Unplugged the tablet, waited a second, plugged it back in, It then loaded as a MTP with no driver, performed instructions from above and it works. YEAH.

Caution: If you are not a skill operator, do not just randomly delete hardware from you device manager, it can royally screw up your system.

Last edited:

ctanaka1

Mar 17, 2012
Thanks for the post. The driver for MTP USB device would not load for me, so I tried MTP device and that worked!

digitsm

Aug 13, 2012
I recently could activate both MTP driver and "Android Original ADB Interface".
Hardware ID of MTP driver is "USB\VID_0489&PID_E040&MI_00&MI_00" and can be installed using the instructions above.
While hardware ID of ADB device is "USB\VID_0489&PID_E040&MI_01" and I could install it using windows 7 update automatically. Before I update my VTAB1008 to android 3.2.1 I searched and installed Pda.net driver or sth like that which could bring ADB access for me. After updating it didn't work. So I tried to manually choose the right driver using update driver button, but it didn't work and device with hardware ID "USB\VID_0489&PID_E040&MI_01" went under others/unknown category. It was a good happening because after that I replugged the usb cable and this time windows update automatically searched and found the right driver for its ADB interface and moved that device under "ADB Interface/Android Original ADB Interface" category in Device Manager.

edgar.poodle

Sep 19, 2012
OK, this is a bit odd. When I connect to a MS XP system I see the tablet (both SD and Internal Storage) without intervention. I don't see anything in Internal Storage unless I turn on USB debugging. When I connect to MS Win7 Home Premium I see the drive after the drivers (I think they're wpdmtp) load. The odd part is that I see the stuff in Internal Storage without USB debugging. I do apply MS critical updates and Service Packs as they come out so both systems are current. I'm guessing the Win7 drivers kind of ignore the debugging setting somehow. Now if I can figure out root access.