view quest slate 8"

shell

Dec 16, 2010
dose any one know what apps and were that will work it, runs on google android 1.5 if not how soon will apps

shell

Dec 16, 2010
thanks for info i now have facebook app but could you tell if i should have any kind i desktop button that i can click which will send me to andriod market to download only i cannot download anything from the market a guy at maplins store says i can ???

BenGoodman

Dec 21, 2010
unless the device was shipped with the google experience then you won't be able to download apps via the market, not yet at least.

DebNorm

Dec 30, 2010
Hi all, I've just bought a ViewQuest Slate 8" Tablet. I'm struggling to see what the point of having it, is when I specifically chose an android and cannot seem to download apps from android market. I also bought it because it has Aldiko e reader installed. I have tried to download the free kindle for android app from androidzoom and other apps and keep getting the message "You do not have permission to open this page.market:// search?q=pname%3Acin.[name of app]. Why do I have an Apps installer? Any help on this would be much appreciated!

Nakers

Jan 5, 2011
If you go on the web and go to slideme.org you can download an app called Sam 4.0, it's not great but you can view a load of free and paid apps.

iansslate

Jan 6, 2011
Hi
I've also ended up with a Viewquest Slate (Slate8). It's not very good, but I can't give it back as it was a gift. Anyhow, as mentioned, SlideMe lets you download a useful program for downloading and installing Apps. I've also found APKtor and AndAppStore let you download apps that might not appear on the SAM collection. You can download both clients directly onto your Slate.

You'll soon find there aren't too many good Android 1.5 apps around that also make use of the full Slate screen, so hopefully this list of (free) apps that do use the full screen and appear to work reasonably well will save time for people who haven't managed to find anything useful to do with their Slate yet:-

Opera Mini for Android
Swift twitter client
Solitaire game
MyPod podcast manager
Musical Pro virtual keyboard
fBook facebook client
Draw and Share drawing package
aDOS MS DOS emulator (haven't done much with this yet)
AVG antivirus

Any of the players that try to access iPlayer content don't seem to work, sadly.

Anyone got any more suggestions for apps that seem to work well on this piece of c**p? or even better, (obviously) if anyone can suggest a way of upgrading the version of Android to 2.x or some better custom firmware I'd be thoroughly grateful :)

DebNorm

Dec 30, 2010
Thanks for the response, I have tried to download SAM 4.0 and it appears as an icon, however when selected it just comes up with "Sorry" " The application SlideME Marketplace (process com.slideme.sam.manager) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again (force close)
I emailed Viewquest support and I quote.......
Thanks for getting in touch.

Google restrict the use of Google Marketplace on tablets without 3G integrated. As a result, we are not allowed to pre-install it.

However, we have developed our own app store, specifically designed for use on our tablet products, and including popular apps such as FaceBook and Twitter. This will be available to download from Welcome to View Quest, hopefully by Friday. (This was Friday 7th Jan and still not available!!!)

iansslate

Jan 6, 2011
Hi

That's interesting. SlideME (SAM 4.0) works perfectly fine on my Slate. Maybe they changed the software on the device ... Here's the info from my "Settings" "About PND":

Model SLATE8
Firmware 1.5
kernel version 2.6.25 spreadwin version 2.1.8 (AOB_jbs)
Build number RK-1.3.2.eng.testteam.20101025.134330

Have you tried AndAppStore Client v1.6.8 - that also works fine. APKtor v 1.0.8.7 is also working well, although you do have to do a little bit of setup to get it working.

I recall installing a version of an App Store (I can't remember what it was, but it left a file VENDOR.APK and I think a similar App name in the Apps list) that caused the same errors that you describe, even when using SAM, but once it was removed that problem stopped.

Still gotta say though - what a heap of junk :) I'm just hoping some brightspark also got one for xmas and has been hacking together a decent firmware.

Ian

UPDATE: I just had a look at the View Quest site and I notice they're also suggesting you download AndAppStore. They say:

"How do I easily install apps onto my Slate device? "As you may know, Google restrict pre-installation of Google Marketplace on units without full phone functionality. Due to regrettable delays in releasing our own app store we have provided the following link to an existing app store to provide an easy way for you to start downloading apps - http://andappstore.com/AndroidApplications/apps/AndAppStore_Client

Last edited:

iansslate

Jan 6, 2011
Hi
I've compiled a list of all the apps that seem to work on my Slate8, see

Android 1.5 Tablet Apps

I'll try to update it from time to time, and I'll add version details and direct links to download sites, where available, when I get time :) Hope it's useful, any suggestions for additions will be welcome.

Ian

Feb 14, 2011
Ive got a slate8 & i am unable to use it as every time i try i get the message THE APPLICATION BROWSER(PROCESS COM.ANDROID.BROWSER)HAS STOPPED UNEXPECTEDLY.I am getting no where with getting it sortedThe slate8 are not great but im no wiz kid.I got it for the simple reason that i dont get a sniff of my laptop with the wife & kids.