Viliv S5 Android Port Well Under Way, Could Pave Way for Android x86 Devices

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Y7SF1.jpg

The Intel Atom based Viliv S5 5" x86 tablet has been spotted at Pocketables forums running Android based on the Android x86 project, and seems to be making good progress. There is an open source project right now, and a proclaimed Intel insider trying to get the device to work.

Here's a video of it running what should be Android 2.2. It seems to be very responsive:

The $599US (retail) 4.8" slate device uses GMA500 graphics, which has powerful hardware video decoding abilities up to 1080p. However, the Android port would still require proprietary drivers Intel has not released. Battery life for the S5 is stated to be 6 hours of continual use. It also has a built in GPS module to boot.

Due to the efforts of the Intel insider, 3D is now working. However, there are some hurdles before the driver can be released for Android x86 based devices to actualize:
Morning today, I found 3D working. It's super fast. I and my boss are finding a way to release the driver. I wish you may try that..
If Intel approves of the the driver release, this can open up Android development on multiple Intel Atom plus GMA500 platforms. And if the device is successful, it is not unreasonable to speculate the emergence of Android x86 tablet devices in the market.

The specifications for the Viliv S5 are as follows (reference UMPC portal):

• CPU type: Intel Atom (Silverthorne)
  • CPU speed: 1300 Mhz
  • Graphics: Intel GMA 500
  • Display Size: 4.8" 1024 X 600
  • Screen Type: LED-Backlit LCD
  • Touch Technology: Resistive (soft/finger) Single-touch
  • Hard Disk: 32 GB SDD (other options available)
  • Battery capacity: 23 Wh
  • Weight: 395gm / 13.9 oz.
  • Size (w/h/d mm): 154/84/24 mm

It also has haptic feedback (vibration) support.

Here's another video showing video playback under Android:

Sources:
Viliv Official Webpage
Pocketables Forums

Last edited by a moderator:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
This thing is only 5"

But if this ships with Android instead of Windows and less storage than the 32GB SSD, I think we can get a 7" tablet at these specs for the same $599 the S5 comes with.

I wish Intel would just open up to Android.

I made this post not because of what the S5 delivers, but what the platform potentially means for the Android ecosystem.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
$600 pretty steep price for these device 5" on-top of it. Seems quick! Dual Core Atom, 1GB of RAM and 8GB or 16GB for storage for $300 bucks and 7".