Vizio Navagation

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Has anyone used it? My brother in law says he uses it without wifi, which I find hard to believe. Will it work in a car with no wifi connection?

I know it uses the built in GPS, it the map data base that I am interested in. Does navigation have one already downloaded? My phone uses google maps with a 3g connection. I can not believe somewhere on the tablet is a map data base. I will go try it.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Well, I tried it and I could not get it to work without Wifi. Anyone doing something that I don't know about to get it to work without Wifi?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You need to download the maps while connected to wifi or it won't work.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Yeah, i thought that. There is a thread here somewhere about buying them and putting them on your SD. Brother in law is a little spacey. Called me an swore it worked without Wifi. Told him to turn off wifi and try it. Haven't heard back from him, ha ha.

I know how to turn on the GPS and have a cool app called GPS status that shows sats and error rate. It free at Google Play.

drum4ever

Dec 2, 2011
For mapping I use CoPilot live and have North America loaded on the SD. For those little functions like speed direction distance traveled, etc... Dashboard Assist. My van speedometer is 5 to 7 mph off so this helps to give me a digital speedometer when I want to verify speed. Neither require wifi.
Never did get around to downloading maps for google maps. If I need those, I use my phone.(when CoPilot can't find the address)

dun4cheap

Mar 14, 2012
All very interesting. I recently mounted my vtab in my truck and have experimenting with google maps. it has been working without wifi but when i enable foxfi and my vtab connects to my razrs 4g the maps update. but it does work without. i was looking at copilot pricey but feature ritch. i will try the free one mentioned here.

lloydsw

Oct 26, 2011
In my experience, if you pre-load a route in google maps connected to wifi, you get about 250 miles before running out of tiles.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
In my experience, if you pre-load a route in google maps connected to wifi, you get about 250 miles before running out of tiles.

That shouldn't be a show stopper, there's probably a McD's or some other hot spot 200 miles down the road where you can top off your GPS data.

dun4cheap

Mar 14, 2012
so i tried the nav free today and i was not overly impressed with it compared to googlemap. the only plus was it showed me my speed.down side was on the way home it kept say bad gps signal so i switched to googmaps and no problem. i may try co pilot soom.