Want to Root my Tablet Express Dragon Touch MID9716W...need advice and help!

gmhamilton470

Aug 26, 2013
I originally posted the following (in bold blue) in a different thread, but didn't get any responses to it. Any and all help that you guys (and gals) can provide me would be greatly appreciated. Bear in mind that I am pretty new to this!!!!
Thanks in advance!

I need some help and advice....I am new to the Tablet world and recently purchased a Dragon Touch MID9716W from Tablet Express. The specs on my order have my tablet listed as a MID970IPS, but apparently the MID9716W is the current replacement for that model.
The tablet came with Android 4.0.4. I went into System Update and I get a message that says: "Please make sure that you have update.zip in nand or sd card". Been trying to do some research and have been on a couple of other Forums and have found a Custom ROM that I can flash it too, but really looking to get more advice on the topic and how I can upgrade the firmware, root vs unroot, Custom ROMs, and how to actually go about this. I was able to root my Google Nexus phone, but that was actually a pretty simple process as I used a tool to do it with (after which the phone has done all of the updates and gotten me up to Android V4.3.
Any and all help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Here are the specs for my tablet as listed on Amazon:

Specification:
Operation system: Android 4.0 Support HD Flash 11
Main IC: A10 (CPU+ GPU+ VPU) Cortex A8 1.2G
Screen: 9.7 inches IPS 5 Points Capacitive Touch 16:9. 1024 * 768
Storage: 16GB
Memory: 1 GB
Storage Extend: 128MB-32GB SD/TF Support
Wifi: 802.11b/g/n
Camera: Dual-Camera, 2.0Mpx Back, 0.3Mpx Front
G-Sensor: All gravity induction
Battery: 7800mAh
Language: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese,Polish ,Russian, Chinese
Online entertainment: Support Online video, online TV, online Movie, Online Music, Online Radio.
Game: 3D Game can be supported by internal 3d accelerate of hardware. There are more than 200 thousands kind of free software in google market
Music Playing: MP3,WMA,APE,FLAC,WAV Format
Video Playing: Formats Support: MKV(H.264 HP),AVI,RM/RMVB, MPEG-1,MPEG-2
Video Output: HDMI 720P to 1080P to 2160P full HD output,and Video OutPut(AV OutPut)
USB: Min USB
Accessories: Charger, USB cable. Box. User Manual
Dimensions: 9.5 * 7.4 * 0.4 inches