Web cam (for video calling) apps...

shellski81

Aug 6, 2011
Hi everyone. My husband has just bought his tablet and we can't find an app that will allow him to make or accept a video call from the kids and I. We were using msn with the lap top but all the ones he's tried so far, both msn related and non, won't allow him to make or receive video calls. Has anyone got any advice, or an app they've found particularly brilliant they can share with us please? Thanks in advance. :)

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Meant to add, there isn't currently a PC Version of Fring.

If does allow you to connect via Yahoo, MSN and some others if you don't use Fring. However you can't make calls or video just chat.

dhornick

May 12, 2011
if you have a gmail account and a webcam, you can video chat with anyone else who has the same. the app pre-installed on the tablet is called "talk" and if you are on a desktop, log in to your gmail and the "chat" box on the left side of the screen under your folders is the same. Its pretty easy from there

kentuckyrandy

Aug 5, 2011
We use the (built in) google talk to video call my daughter, quite often. She has an Asus eepad and we have the Acer. And it is availible for PC, as dhornick said above.
Just make sure both parties have a good internet connection, or it won't be smooth video. Also, the standard photo/video rules apply: Have you subjests in good lighting, and hold the unit still.

Randy

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
Hi everyone. My husband has just bought his tablet and we can't find an app that will allow him to make or accept a video call from the kids and I. We were using msn with the lap top but all the ones he's tried so far, both msn related and non, won't allow him to make or receive video calls. Has anyone got any advice, or an app they've found particularly brilliant they can share with us please? Thanks in advance. :)

Skype Gets Update Adding 14 New Devices Including Honeycomb Tablets

Skype have released an update and it’s quite a major one. They have added more Android devices to their ever growing list of supported handsets. When it first landed into the world of Android in June it was for only four handsets that were – the HTC Desire S, Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo, Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro and the Google Nexus S.

According to the release It will now support the following 14 extra devices:
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  • HTC Nexus One
  • HTC Shooter
  • Sony Ericsson Xperia Live with Walkman
  • Sony Ericsson Xperia neo V
  • LG Optimus Black
  • LG Optimus 3D
  • LG Optimus 2X
  • Motorola Photon
  • Motorola Droid 3
  • Motorola Bionic
  • Motorola Xoom
  • Motorola Atrix
  • Acer Iconia
What’s in this version:
Current Version:2.5.0.108
Requires Android:2.1 and up
Size:10.3MB

V2.5.0.108 update:
# 14 additional devices whitelisted for video calling (listed above).
# Video calls now supported in portrait and landscape. Double-tap to zoom.
# Revised Recent view – conversations now grouped around your contacts.
# Improved support for Bluetooth headsets.
# In-client advertising. (Advertising will not be shown to users that have Skype Credit, a Calling or Skype Premium subscription.)
# It is possible to edit and delete IM messages.
# Skype will no longer restart in the background when you sign out.

Make free Skype-to-Skype video calls, and call phones at Skype rates on the move

Skype 2.5 for Android lets you make free voice and video Skype-to-Skype calls, and call phones and landlines at great Skype rates on the move.

Video calling now supported on more Android phones.

Features:
Free* Skype-to-Skype IM, calls and video calls over 3G or WiFi.
Cheap calls and SMS to landlines or mobiles at great Skype rates

Some notes:
If you’re using Android 2.2 (Froyo) or greater on a device not listed in the What’s New section, you should still be able to enable video calling in Skype settings. Please note that video call quality may not be as good as on a certified device.

On Android 2.2 (Froyo), only the back camera will work. This is because only devices running Android OS 2.3 or higher allow apps to access the front facing camera.

If the setting to enable video calling is not available in the Skype Settings on your device that means video calling is not yet supported on your phone.
–
* Data plan or WiFi connection required
You need Android v2.2 to run Skype on a Samsung Galaxy S. Please sign out of Skype to close the application.

(These handsets already support video calling)
Samsung Nexus S
Samsung Galaxy S 4G
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate
Samsung Droid Charge
Samsung Galaxy S II
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 WIFI
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Verizon
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Sprint
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
HTC Desire
HTC Desire S
HTC Incredible S
HTC Desire HD
HTC EVO 4G
HTC EVO 3D
HTC Sensation 4G
HTC Thunderbolt
HTC Flyer
Sony Ericsson Xperia neo
Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro
Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (Rest of world)
Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (China)
Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray
Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro2
LG Revolution

The following devices have also been white-listed for video calling in this release:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (T-Mobile)
HTC SHOOTER (KDDI)
Sony Ericsson Xperia Live with Walkman
Sony Ericsson Xperia neo V
Acer Iconia Tablet (A500)
LG Optimus Black LANDSCAPE ONLY
LG Optimus 3D LANDSCAPE ONLY
LG Optimus 2x LANDSCAPE ONLY
Motorola Photon
Motorola Droid3 LANDSCAPE ONLY
Motorola Bionic LANDSCAPE ONLY
Motorola Xoom
Motorola Atrix

Android Market: Skype

Other source:
mu97c3.png

Proof:
I used my laptop and signed on my other account, here's the screenshot.;):cool:

2u42ec8.jpg

I forgot, both cam works front & back.

Acer Iconia A500:
​Current ROM:
Taboonay v2.0

Last edited:

emvbase

Jan 24, 2011
I'm using the recent version 2.5 in kyros 1024
It works with video call just to receive video... the frontal cam in kyros doesnt work...
Skype just ignore the frontal cam trying to find a back cam...

Kyros have the same configuration of galaxy tab 7...
Audio and receive video calls ok.
Send video calls, at this moment and with froyo, fail...

Sent from my MID1024 using Android Tablet Forum

mikeyg164

Oct 15, 2011
We use the (built in) google talk to video call my daughter, quite often. She has an Asus eepad and we have the Acer. And it is availible for PC, as dhornick said above.
Just make sure both parties have a good internet connection, or it won't be smooth video. Also, the standard photo/video rules apply: Have you subjests in good lighting, and hold the unit still.

Randy

Google Talk was my first thought as well. We love it here :)

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Try using SKYPE. the new one work fine. Just a suggestion get your hubby to use earplugs because the feedback (clicking noise) is an issue. I have found the earplugs work great especially when at work - private!