Website For Nook Color Wallpapers

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Tips for sizing and orientation. I went back and reread the other threads but don't believe a solution was ever posted, so here's how you do it.

1. Before long pressing a blank place on the screen put your nook in the proper orientation, portriat or landscape. Landscape is recommended.

2. Long press a blank spot on the screen.

a. In the default nook launcher you get a pop-up with the option to "Clean up this panel" or "Change wallpaper". Make sure the nook is in your choosen orientation before pressing the "Change wallpaper". Next choose the tab where your wallpaper is located "Wallpaper" or "Photo gallery".

b. In Zeam launcher you get a pop-up with "Add item", "Set wallpaper" and "Preferences". Make sure the nook is in you choosen orientation before pressing "Set wallpaper". This brings up a choice of "Live wallpapers" or "Pictures". Choose "Pictures" and then choose the application you want to open the the pictures with (if you have not already selected a default).
$11-02-23-9.png $11-02-23-3-1.png

3. Navigate to the picture you want to use for your wallpaper and tap it. If you have kept your nook in the prefered orientation the wallpaper selection box should appear in the same orientation. If it does not, choose "Discard" and return to step 1 ensuring you maintain the proper orientation, this is the key to filling as much of the home launcher as possible.
$11-02-23-8.png

4. Long press on one of the orange lines of the selection box. "Crop" will appear on the left and right and arrows will appear on the top and bottom and it will allow you to resize the box by continuing to press and dragging the box larger or smaller. This is the key to getting the maximum amount of picture to be used. Once the selection box is propperly sized touch in the center of the box and drag it to the desired location.
$11-02-23-13.png

5. When everything looks correct, touch "Save".
$11-02-23-1.png

You have now correctly configured your wallpaper :)

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Nice site, just wish they would have sized pics better. All pics are 750 x 1024, which only covers 1 of your 3-5 screens.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Rico, by sizing in landscape I get about a screen and a 1/3 so that there is a little extra to either side on one screen. I believe this is how the default wallpapers appear on the Nook Color. I would say the site is mostly setup for unrooted users but it is a good addition to the other threads here :D

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Rico, by sizing in landscape I get about a screen and a 1/3 so that there is a little extra to either side on one screen. I believe this is how the default wallpapers appear on the Nook Color. I would say the site is mostly setup for unrooted users but it is a good addition to the other threads here :D

An unrooted NC has 3 home screens with is 1024 long by 600 times 3 wide = 1800x1024.

But yes, any NC rooted or not can take any pic regardless of size, crop it and stretch to fit your home screen (s).

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hmm, maybe I never got it set up that way. The most I ever recall seeig on the three home screens was a centered main picture and about 1/3 of a screen extra if you went to the left or right.

I haven't really played with the larger images, but what you are saying is if you load a larger image and then go left or right one screen you get one additional full screen to either side rather than a little extra on either side. At least that is they way I thought it would work with a 1800x1024. Is that correct?

*Edit: I guess it actually would just prevent the overzoom of the image that currently occurs becase of the sizing not being to max available width.

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Okay, I finally have the definitive answer...and we have all been wrong.

The wallpaper size for three screen setup is 1200wX1024h

Here is what I did to test this:

I went into photoshop and created a file 1800x1024 (with a 72 dpi resolution)

In photoshop, I had three segments that were 600x1024
In each corner of each segment I put a number (mainly to be a place marker for each corner)
then I saved the pic and uploaded to my NC
When I went to set as wallpaper, it would only allow me to to choose two of the three segments (or 1200x1024)

Here is the test screen I made:
screentest.jpg

Update:
I looked at the wallpapers that rico had posted (that big zip file with the great pics) and they are all 1200x1024...lol (it is important to note that the 72 pixel resolution is another key...anything more and it will not work correctly...its a problem I was having with some 300dpi HQ images...)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well that explains all of the sizing issues being experienced.

Thanks Vic :)

dangerousdee

Jan 19, 2011
Does anyone know if it would be easy to make a set a custom wallpapers for the NC into an "easy to install" APK? I would like to make a nice set of wallpapers for the market.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Does anyone know if it would be easy to make a set a custom wallpapers for the NC into an "easy to install" APK? I would like to make a nice set of wallpapers for the market.

To make an apk usable it needs to be "signed", there are programs at xda for that. Also there is an app called "app creator" you can get via signing up for it from Google. But I havent messed with these things much, so beyond that idk how it is done.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
What about using my pics as a wallpaper. I can finally take pics with my camera and have them in the nook gallery (thanks to Local Stain) and now there is no way to resize them in order to use them as a.wallpaper. I tryed yo resize them in the camera but it doesn' t work either.: this is what I mean. First screenshot is how the pic looks in my galllery, second is my screen with the pic of my
b8207764-54c8-1774.jpg
b8207764-54db-19b4.jpg
chiuaua resized...it looks like a doberman!

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Hello again Gloria, try this Download p370.apk for free on Filesonic.com allows you to resize photos on the NC, the easy way just type in the dimensions you want(i think somewhere in the wallpaper thread the optimum dimensions are covered). Alternately I upload all pics from my phone to both my Picasa web albums and Dropbox. I can then edit them with Picnik, which is rather powerful for a browser based editor. I know this sort of defeats the purpose of doing it on the NC but, well, just sayin.

Something to keep in mind if you use either Dropbox or Picasa(which you should) you can upload pics directly from the NC. Long press the file and a whole host of cloud options should pop up. CX https://www.cx.com/ offer 10gb of free storage and they have an Android app. Although I still prefer(and pay) for Dropbox, they do a nice job as well.

edit: BTW cute pup!

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
$11-03-24-1.pngHello LocalStain, I had a feeling you would come to my rescue again!
I got Dropbox few weeks ago when Darmeen told me how to post the screenshot from there. I'm going to figure out how to resize some pics I have there.In the meantime I found a.way to resize in the nook even though you can't really fit the screen. I 'm using the Desktop Visualizer. I would like something like that. that would allow me to place the pics whereverI want on the screen,even one on the top of the other,so I can do a sort of collage. Maybe there is an app like that.
This is what one can do with the visualizer.
Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Last edited: