Weird problem with the keyboard

Grigger

Oct 23, 2011
Hi,

I have noticed a weird problem with my Iconia A500's keyboard for some time. It seems that I can't hold any key pressed anymore; when I do it looks like the key gets pushed only once. E.g., if I hold the 'g' key, instead of multiple g's appearing only one gets written down. That would't be that much annoying but it seems I can't activate caps lock anymore (when I hold it so it activates it does exactly the same action as when I click it briefly, that is capitalize only te next letter) , the smileys key (it justs inserts ':) ' no matter how long I press it instead of displaying te smiley menu) or backspace (now if I want to delete a sentence I have to press backspace once for every letter -- very annoying!!). Also, sometimes, when I'm typing, a certain key remains highlighted.

I am running stock 3.2 Android on the tab but I think the problem's there since 3.1, maybe even before that, I don't think I have noticed it right away and that's the problem, I don't know what really caused this. Maybe it was an Android update, maybe an app update, a virus or a wrong setting.

Thing is it doesn't seem to be a problem with the screen because it's working just fine anywhere else, like games that require multiple touch. Could corrupt keyboard files be a probable cause? Can they be replaced?

I would be really, really grateful if you could give me any advice on this little annoying problem of my tab.

Thanks,
GriGGer

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Try deleting the learned words or dictionary on the keyboard settings and restart the tab. You also you can try other keyboards like Thumb Keyboard that is exclusively for tabs or SwiftKeys Tab X.

Sent from Rob's TapadaIconia :D

Grigger

Oct 23, 2011
Done that and it's still not working! Is there any way I could reinstall Android Keyboard? Does anyone know what files I have to replace in order to replace Android Keyboard?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Note that in most Android keyboards, a long press means to type an Alternate character (usually shown in small print at the top of the key). The stock keyboard doesn't do this except with a few keys that have the little gray letters in the upper right corner.

If you want a string of characters repeated, you have to tap really fast. The current Android keyboard does not support repeat on any key. This is because a long press triggers other actions (alternate characters as stated above) or paste if there is text in the paste buffer.

Caps lock is achieved by holding the caps lock key until the green bar at the bottom of the key lights up. In Settings / Accessibility there is a setting for the touch and hold delay (long press). If you accidentally set that too long you could end up waiting for a LONG time for a long press to kick in.

I strongly recommend the Switkey Tablet X keyboard because it learns your language patterns, and it will often suggest the word you were thinking of typing before you type a single character. Then you can just tap the suggestion. There is a trial free version on the market.

From what you have described, I think your keyboard is operating as designed.

Grigger

Oct 23, 2011
Note that in most Android keyboards, a long press means to type an Alternate character (usually shown in small print at the top of the key). The stock keyboard doesn't do this except with a few keys that have the little gray letters in the upper right corner.

If you want a string of characters repeated, you have to tap really fast. The current Android keyboard does not support repeat on any key. This is because a long press triggers other actions (alternate characters as stated above) or paste if there is text in the paste buffer.

Caps lock is achieved by holding the caps lock key until the green bar at the bottom of the key lights up. In Settings / Accessibility there is a setting for the touch and hold delay (long press). If you accidentally set that too long you could end up waiting for a LONG time for a long press to kick in.

I strongly recommend the Switkey Tablet X keyboard because it learns your language patterns, and it will often suggest the word you were thinking of typing before you type a single character. Then you can just tap the suggestion. There is a trial free version on the market.

From what you have described, I think your keyboard is operating as designed.

I know what you mean, mate, but the green bar didn't appear anymore no matter how long I was pressing the key, also the smileys, and other keys with little grey characters in their corner. But I didn't think it had any connection with Accesibilty, the touch and hold delay was set to short, but now it seems that if I disable Accesibilty completely the problem goes away!

Thank you very much, problem solved!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Well, yeah, if you have accessibility scripts turned on, it can behave weird. I assumed those were off.