What App Plays Streaming Live Video embedded in Websites?

Rayne

Jun 24, 2013
Hey all,

I have a Nook Tablet running Jellybean 4.2.2 (cm-10.1-RC5-encore) on emmc and it plays YouTube etc perfectly. However I want to watch trials (like the George Zimmerman trial) streaming live and the audio comes through, but not the video.

I am using the stock browser included in the ROM (I assume it's Chrome?).

Anyone know what I need to be able to watch live streaming video? Thanks!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
You may want to try a different browser. Dolphin Browser may work. Do you have Flash Player installed?

Rayne

Jun 24, 2013
Thanks, leeshor. I believe flash is installed because YouTube plays fine. It's just live streaming video that doesn't play. And these sites that stream trials use something called Brightcove, which I believe is some kind of cloud service that streams the flash.... maybe I'll go to the brightcove site and see what I can find. I was considering installing Dolphin or FF anyway, so I can try that too. I will report back when I get it working for future readers who might run into the same problem. Thanks again.

Rayne

Jun 24, 2013
Installed Dolphin browser and I think it's going to work. Won't know for sure until tomorrow when the trial starts up but there was a still shot in the vid window and an arrow and looked like it will play, plus I got a streaming newscast elsewhere.

And FTR the installed default browser for this ROM is not Chrome... it seems to be a "generic" browser, if there is such a thing. But anyway, Dolphin seems to work! Thanks again.

Rayne

Jun 24, 2013
Installed Dolphin browser and I think it's going to work. Won't know for sure until tomorrow when the trial starts up but there was a still shot in the vid window and an arrow and looked like it will play, plus I got a streaming newscast elsewhere.

And FTR the installed default browser for this ROM is not Chrome... it seems to be a "generic" browser, if there is such a thing. But anyway, Dolphin seems to work! Thanks again.

Actually, as it turned out, the Dolphin browser did NOT work. Apparently Adobe Flash is no longer officially supporting Android after 4.1, and I am using a JB 4.2.2 ROM. So in the newer Dolphin, Flash is DISABLED by default because "it causes Dolphin to crash" (so says the popup warning in the v9.x Dolphin Settings). I did manage to enable it (which takes either a editing hack or a patched Dolphin download), but it would still not work. It wouldn't even play UTube, much less streaming live video.

After doing all that, my original default browser would not play UTube anymore either. Until I uninstalled Flash and rebooted. Then, oddly, it (the default browser) not only played UTube again, but it played the streaming live video too! Ha! So, I don't know what the deal is, but the no-name default browser is working for everything now.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Something is not right with what you just said. The newest Dolphin and newest Flash Player work great on my tablet and I didn't need to make any changes to get Dolphin to work with Flash. (but I've been using both for some time now so I may have changed something way back when). Is your Dolphin set to desktop mode. Youtube works just fine on mine, with Dolphin.

Last edited:

Rayne

Jun 24, 2013
Something is not right with what you just said. The newest Dolphin and newest Flash Player work great on my tablet and I didn't need to make any changes to get Dolphin to work with Flash. (but I've been using both for some time now so I may have changed something way back when). Is you Dolphin set to desktop mode. Youtube works just fine on mine, with Dolphin.

But are you running Android 4.1?

It is starting with 4.2 that Flash causes a problem and so Dolphin has it disabled. Also starting with 4.2 that the Dolphin page warned Adobe is no longer officially supporting Android... all Android systems prior would still be ok. AND there are plenty of people (and developers) that have flash working with 4.2.2 as well, just like the default browser I have is working now with my 4.2.2 ROM.

But all I can tell you is last night when I was installing Dolphin, that's what I found...and Dolphin didn't work for me. That doesn't mean it won't work for anyone. :) Just my personal experience.

edit: PS From this it sounds like flash is being replaced by HTML5 but you'll get an idea of what I went through with the Dolphin browser and flash http://www.transformerforums.com/fo...-work-any-browser-after-jellybean-update.html

edit#2: From doing a little more reading it's clear this is a hot topic and highly debated. Did not intend to start anything.... I don't care if my video comes in on HTML5, Flash or the wings of a pig, long as I can see what I want and get my device to work one way or another with whatever wonderful little tools are out there. :)

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm running 4.2.1 on my tablet and 4.2.2 on my primary phones. no problem on either one

Rayne

Jun 24, 2013
I'm running 4.2.1 on my tablet and 4.2.2 on my primary phones. no problem on either one

I would venture a guess that devices sold with Android installed would of course make sure the Android OS is running everything fine, and any official updates provided for that device would be likewise.

In my case I have a Nook Tablet that came with the crappy B&N system, which I wiped and replaced with a custom-built ROM from the open-source xda developers. There are many flavors of these ROMs (as you know) for all kinds of devices, and so it seems since Adobe is no longer officially supporting Android, it depends on if the developer/compiler made sure the now-unofficially supported Flash and HTML5 pages are rendering properly in whatever browser they provide in the ROM. And like I say, in my particular case the generic browser DOES work now, so I don't know why it didn't initially.

Anyway.... happily the Android community is such that one can almost always find a solution or fix for any problem! And hopefully this isn't a big problem for a lot of people, but it does seem to be a glitch for some.