What Are Your (External) SD Card Speeds?

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
I just bought a 32gb sdcard, and the estimate to write an 8gb file from my computer is 40 minutes -- and it has aborted each time. The card is a Sandisk, with no class identification (1 I guess!). I'm using SD Tools to test my sdcard, and I get 9.2MB/s write and 29.4MB/s read speeds. I guess the tool isn't very accurate, because at 9.2MB/s, 8gb will go by in 14 & 1/2 minutes -- which isn't happening.

Anyway, I only paid $15 for the card, and if it takes an hour to copy a movie over it's not worth two bucks. I'd like to hear how fast peoples' cards are writing. Does anyone know a good speed test tool, or can you do a real-world copy test if you have a fast card? Let me know your card brand and class please. I figure that 40min estimate for my file copy was pretty accurate. That means my cheapo card only writes at 3.4MB/s -- which sounds more reasonable if this is really class 1 :( I think I need to replace this junk.

FloRider

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
Thanks for the link, but is that software going to have a catalog of results? I wasn't too clear about my point (as usual), but I'm looking to replace my crappy 32gb microsd card. I was hoping some people would be able to give me real-world (not manufacturer-quoted) numbers on their cards' speeds to help me decide what to replace this junk with. I would be really happy if I could copy that 8gb movie to my tab in ten minutes. Is 13.5MB/s write speed too much to ask?

Thanks again.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Checkout the note at the bottom of the first post in this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html. It specifically has to do with small block write speed for a particular reason (running an OS from SD card) but it is a good conversation about SD cards with reported results. Other than than fake cards (usually purchased from unverified sources like ebay) if an SD card has a certain class then it must meet the read/write specifications for that class. Unfortunately fake cards are more wide spread than you might think. Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
Interesting. I'm still reading, but the sdcards are faster than eMMC? Edit: oh... they are dual-booting it seems, one ROM on microsd and one embedded.

Last edited: