What Do You Think About Your Onda Tablet?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I am thinking about getting an Onda tablet probably the 801 or 812 because I like the 8 inch form factor and what a quad core tablet. I am just wondering what you guys think about your Onda tablets and do they function awesomely?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
How do you like any onda tablet? It doesn't have to be the 8 inch variety.

PAS1970

May 25, 2013
I have a V973 and I'm somewhat frustrated. Even with the latest 4.2.2 build it can be unstable. They seem to improve things with every build but it seems to get in a state where apps go all sluggish and you get a wait message. As I'm sat 5 meters from a good router and it has moments where it's very fast and responsive I don't think it's a wifi issue. Disabling the Chinese apps in my perception has improved things.

They also put the connectors too deep into the casing so most cables don't work. Kind of amateur that.

On the other hand , when it's running well it's lovely and the screen is great.

You get what you pay for. It's a good cheap tablet but it's a long way from fantastic.

I picked up one of the 8 inches when I was at a shop in Shenzhen. Very good iPad Mini clone from construction. I didn't play with it though.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I have a V973 and I'm somewhat frustrated. Even with the latest 4.2.2 build it can be unstable. They seem to improve things with every build but it seems to get in a state where apps go all sluggish and you get a wait message. As I'm sat 5 meters from a good router and it has moments where it's very fast and responsive I don't think it's a wifi issue. Disabling the Chinese apps in my perception has improved things.

They also put the connectors too deep into the casing so most cables don't work. Kind of amateur that.

On the other hand , when it's running well it's lovely and the screen is great.

You get what you pay for. It's a good cheap tablet but it's a long way from fantastic.

I picked up one of the 8 inches when I was at a shop in Shenzhen. Very good iPad Mini clone from construction. I didn't play with it though.

Thank you for this information. I really appreciate it.

eliem

Apr 29, 2012
I have an old model, the vi40 elite v3. I can easily that it's a piece on crap, very unresponsive and slow out of the box. It became a lot better after I installed Nova launcher but it is indeed not near the branded ones. And BTW I have paid 250 euro back then.

altheamae64

Dec 20, 2012
I am thinking about getting an Onda tablet probably the 801 or 812 because I like the 8 inch form factor and what a quad core tablet. I am just wondering what you guys think about your Onda tablets and do they function awesomely?
I have the Onda Vi40 Elite V3 and the V972 V2 I think that your experience of the tablet will depend on what your expectations are and what you intend to use it for. Knowing that I was only prepared to spend around the £150 - £200 mark meant that I had to be realistic about what I needed a tablet to deliver at that price. And for me? Onda tablets deliver.

I'm no heavy gamer, and neither do I use my tablet to play music because I have an iPhone so if these things are important to you - you probably shouldn't buy one. The speakers aren't of a very high quality, but perform well with headphones. The Vi40 Elite was laggy when web browsing etc but these things were easily overcome by flashing with a custom ROM. I used the TNT one. It came with the Nova launcher and Boat browser mini, both of which sped things up considerably. In fact, the tablet works better now than it did out-of-the-box with the stock FW loaded.

For my use: web browsing, reading Kindle books, using FB etc, they are perfectly good tablets. The screen resolution on both is incredible. You can watch Netflix perfectly well, and videos and the fact that not all apps from the Play Store are available is easily overcome by using other app stores such as Blackmart Alpha, Aptoide, SlideMe and Wandoujia. I have yet to find a single app in the Play store that I haven't been able to find elsewhere - and more often than not, they're completely free.

The downside is that the cameras are rubbish on both so these tablets are not for you if you're a keen photographer. But again, for me this wasn't a consideration because of my iPhone. Additionally, Bluetooth is not supported on Onda tablets so steer clear if this is a feature you want/need. The battery drain on the V972 is really not good and I'm hoping that this will be addressed by an Onda FW update in the future. Also, it won't charge whilst in use, which is a bit annoying.

But a major advantage of these tablets is that they're virtually unbrickable, which many of the more expensive, branded tablets are not. This is a huge benefit to people like me who are not tech experts but do like to tinker around a bit with custom ROMs.

The best advice I could give you would be to read around different forums like this one and you'll soon get a feel of how these tablets are being received by their owners. I did all that, and decided, on balance, that I'd go with Onda and have done so on 2 occasions now.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy because when all is said and done, it is only your experience of your tablet that really matters :cool:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Awesome input guys. I currently have a 8 inch Vtab and love the form factor. So I am looking for another 8 inch tablet but it doesnt look like I will be getting an Onda one.

PAS1970

May 25, 2013
new firmware is always nice. Let us know if it improves the experience for you.

Wow. It's like having a whole new machine.

Had it on an hour. Booting is snappy. Quick boot is genuinely quick. The tablet is responsive. Screen rotating is fast. All really could be well with the onda world.

I'll report back after playing around with it longer. I really hope it has better life,
as advertised.

PAS1970

May 25, 2013
So after a few days I can confirm this is really a step change in the performance of the A973. A couple of quirks here and there but it's by and large stable , fast and fluid now.

I remain unconvinced the battery life is any better.

skippie17700

Mar 30, 2013
I have the Onda Vi40 Elite V3 and the V972 V2 I think that your experience of the tablet will depend on what your expectations are and what you intend to use it for. Knowing that I was only prepared to spend around the £150 - £200 mark meant that I had to be realistic about what I needed a tablet to deliver at that price. And for me? Onda tablets deliver.

I'm no heavy gamer, and neither do I use my tablet to play music because I have an iPhone so if these things are important to you - you probably shouldn't buy one. The speakers aren't of a very high quality, but perform well with headphones. The Vi40 Elite was laggy when web browsing etc but these things were easily overcome by flashing with a custom ROM. I used the TNT one. It came with the Nova launcher and Boat browser mini, both of which sped things up considerably. In fact, the tablet works better now than it did out-of-the-box with the stock FW loaded.

For my use: web browsing, reading Kindle books, using FB etc, they are perfectly good tablets. The screen resolution on both is incredible. You can watch Netflix perfectly well, and videos and the fact that not all apps from the Play Store are available is easily overcome by using other app stores such as Blackmart Alpha, Aptoide, SlideMe and Wandoujia. I have yet to find a single app in the Play store that I haven't been able to find elsewhere - and more often than not, they're completely free.

The downside is that the cameras are rubbish on both so these tablets are not for you if you're a keen photographer. But again, for me this wasn't a consideration because of my iPhone. Additionally, Bluetooth is not supported on Onda tablets so steer clear if this is a feature you want/need. The battery drain on the V972 is really not good and I'm hoping that this will be addressed by an Onda FW update in the future. Also, it won't charge whilst in use, which is a bit annoying.

But a major advantage of these tablets is that they're virtually unbrickable, which many of the more expensive, branded tablets are not. This is a huge benefit to people like me who are not tech experts but do like to tinker around a bit with custom ROMs.

The best advice I could give you would be to read around different forums like this one and you'll soon get a feel of how these tablets are being received by their owners. I did all that, and decided, on balance, that I'd go with Onda and have done so on 2 occasions now.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy because when all is said and done, it is only your experience of your tablet that really matters :cool:

with the new firmware (3.2) the onda v972 charges whilst using.

Sent from my V972 Core4 using Tapatalk HD

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Awesome news. I might start looking at these tablets again