What Is The Meaning Of Sound Mod, How Does It Operate?

rupeshforu3

Jan 31, 2013
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I love to listen good music in Android smartphones. In order to get rich music experience I am searching for sound mods.

At present I am using redmi note 4 with MIUI 9.2 and redmi note 4 has a separate audio processing unit and also software for it.

While searching for sound mod for redmi note 4 I found quasar atom and I was stunned by examining it's features and some of it's features are

1. ClearAudio+
2. HTC beats
3. Viper4android
4. Dolby Atmos
5. Dirac HD

My question is after flashing the zip file of this sound mod when I play music in my smartphone which technology plays important role ie., clear audio+ or HTC beats or Dolby atmos or Dirac HD.

Does only one of the above mentioned technologies tries to maximize the music experience or all of the above tries to maximize the music experience.

Please clarify my doubt. I am new to sound mod technology and so can any one of you specify a link which provides the theory about how does sound mod works.

Regards,
Rupesh.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you installed all of them the sound quality would be modified by each of them, which really isn't a good thing. So I would select only one and install it. Personally I recommend Viper4Android as it's the most popular and has a proven track record. I do however have Dolby Atmos on my Lenovo Tab 4 (preinstalled) and it works equally well.

rupeshforu3

Jan 31, 2013
I am using redmi note 4 to listen music and it has a separate processing unit for audio. I have flashed viper 4 android sound mod and my question is doe's this sound mod uses this audio processing unit or not.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I can't answer that. I don't have your device. You'll have to ask elsewhere, like on XDA Developers.

rupeshforu3

Jan 31, 2013
I am asking generally which comes into action. Suppose you take a Windows PC in it definitely there will be a processor and sound card component such as ac 97.

Suppose you play any audio file in Windows PC what is the role of ac 97 hardware.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Just now I had to Google AC97 to have a clue as to what the heck you were talking about, because I haven't had any reason to worry about what my laptops, smartphones, or tablets were using. For the record, AC97 is an audio codec; software that allows the DAC (Digital / Analog Converter) to understand the data being sent to it. The DAC converts digital impulses into analog waveforms that humans can hear. A codec allows the DAC to understand the data it receives. The DAC then translates what it receives into something you can listen to.

As already mentioned, the codec allows the DAC to understand the data it receives. The DAC takes what it receives and sends the output in the form of sound waves to the speakers. Viper4Android and Dolby Atmos are graphic equalizers. They stand between the DAC and the speakers, modifying the output of the DAC by adjusting the sound in selected frequencies, depending upon the tastes of the listener. For the average person, the codec and the DAC are irrelevant because they cannot be controlled. The sound output from the DAC however can.