What tablets are coming up? aka Should I buy the Samsung GalTab 10.1 now?

Buy the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 now?

• Total voters

GameHog9

Sep 21, 2011
Most sources around the net (I could probably provide links, if someone wanted them) are pinning an October-November release date for Kal-El tablets, and Ice Cream Sandwich is supposed to be released then as well (according to Notion Ink Adam). "Be happy with what you buy now" doesn't really apply in this type of situation and I tend to disagree.

Question, what exactly is Ice Cream? It it another version OS? I thought that current HoneyComb tablets would be able to upgrade to IC.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Oh, there is no "Ice Cream" - its Ice Cream Sandwich. Y'know, because they're 'sandwiching' the Smartphone and Tablet OSs together? Honeycomb tabs will likely be able to upgrade to it, I think you may have just mixed up the names - Ice Cream is what it was originally thought to be, but it actually is Ice Cream Sandwich.

I may have just worded it wrong in my post, too - gave the wrong impression.

Androidicus

Sep 4, 2011
I agree 100% with other posters who are advocating WAIT a little longer if you can?

The holiday season is less than three months away (literally!) and all the buzz/hype surrounding current and next gen Android tablets is at a fever pitch. Meaning, the new ones ARE coming most likely. Even if they don't have Kal-El processors, it still means improved versions of the already top tier tablets e.g. Xoom, ASUS Transformer, etc. More importantly it also means price drops for the first generation and this is good for Android in terms of exposure to the general public who may be put off by the current $400+ price tags some of the top teir tablets have.

I'll use myself as an example:

I just entered this segment of the tech market with a Flytouch 2 (Chinese iPad knockoff) in order to get my feet wet with Android. Now I know that I really like it, I want to take the full plunge with a more powerful tablet...

So, this is the perfect time for somebody like me to just WAIT because we are so close to the holiday season and the next wave of releases.

It makes no sense for me to go out and grab a Toshiba Thrive at full price right now when A) it will most likely come down in a few months, and B) The Excite might be out by then, too. Sure, the Excite will probably be a little higher in price, but then again, it's a second generation tablet with improved features as well. This just makes good economic sense in this fragile economy, IMO :)