What's the Deal with No Spell Checks

pda963

Aug 23, 2011
Ok I bought an Acer Tab 500a and love it, the hardwareoptions just stomps the IPad, and the games and web browsing are great. But itseems that Android powers that be consider it a toy and not a real business tool.How is it possible that there is not one word processor out there that has aspell checker…. I mean WOW my old palm pilot had that. The single most fundamentalaspect for email and word processing is just missing. Does anybody know why itis not on Docs to Go, Thinkfree Office, or Office Suite…..

HD87

May 14, 2011
Download SwiftKey Tablet X from the Market, great keyboard you can customize, smart spell check, work's really well. :D

pda963

Aug 23, 2011
Thanks I will check it out

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

pda963

Aug 23, 2011
It is nice and will do for now but I can not help but wonder why. If it was just one application I would say it is an oversight but all of them makes me wonder why. I do want to thank you for the application it will allow me to keep the Tab which I do love until some on the ball programmer writes a true word processor.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
It is nice and will do for now but I can not help but wonder why. If it was just one application I would say it is an oversight but all of them makes me wonder why. I do want to thank you for the application it will allow me to keep the Tab which I do love until some on the ball programmer writes a true word processor.

This isn't an oversight. Its by design.

Spell checking has been moved out of the Apps into the keyboard. The theory is that it is silly for app after app to incorporate spell checking, each with their own dictionary when all words have to go thru the keyboard anyway. All computers should have done it this way from the beginning, that way you would have spell check support in every app instead of only specific word processing apps.

Admittedly it falls down when you are trying to correct someone else's spelling.

So, don't expect spell checking to show up any time soon. If that means you can't keep the tab, then so be it.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Keyboards are also locale specific, which impacts spelling, which is another argument supporting Icebike's point.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum

pda963

Aug 23, 2011
Well if they decided to put a spell check in the keyboard then they might as well say we are not a business tool and hand the business side of it over to the Ipad. If I get sent a document to review then I am just out of luck, so true word processing is just not for the Android market. That seems like a really short sided view.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Well if they decided to put a spell check in the keyboard then they might as well say we are not a business tool and hand the business side of it over to the Ipad. If I get sent a document to review then I am just out of luck, so true word processing is just not for the Android market. That seems like a really short sided view.

Well if that's what you really feel you should probably swap out of android and get yourself an ipad.

Greater minds than yours have thought this through, and the keyboard is the proper place for spell checking.

You wouldn't be spell checking someone else's work if they already had spell checking in their keyboard, and if you need a spell checker to check their work, why not just get them a spell checker?

Word processors are add on products. If you don't like one, go get another. There are spell checkers in the market.

pda963

Aug 23, 2011
Don't get your underwear in a bunch, just because I dare suggest that a Word Processor should have a spell Checker and Grammer correction you suggest I go get a Ipad, The Android Tablet is miles ahead of the Ipad and I would not trade it for anything, I just see a obvious error in thinking, when the Android was just a phone then it made sense to have a word suggesting keyboard application. But now we have Tablets and they are amazing and have a real role to play in business, and in business you do review documents and need a good word processor to do it. As for the greater minds than mine thing, I would suggest you sit in on a few corporate meetings, you would be surprised how a bad idea will take flight..... you know like HP deciding to dump it's tablets and computer systems...... real genius there.

matt92617

Aug 21, 2011
having owned an ipad for a year before going to the side of light. i can tell you, darkness is years ahead of the light.

pda963

Aug 23, 2011
How do you figure that, with the exception of the Spell Check issue the Android smokes the Ipad, My android can truly brows the web, download bittorrent directly from a web page, transfer or run movies from a USB Hard drive, use a USB mouse, and Keyboard. install applications from a thumb drive. I can organize the memory how I like it, add more memory is I wish and for the most part run any program that Apple has out. I I fail to see their surpiorty in any way. The (Except Spell Checking)

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
I believe the real point here is that we are dealing with a fairly new OS here and there are some areas where either iOS or windoz have an edge. Icebike, you have a valid point as to where the spellchecker needs to be however,folks coming from another OS might find this concept rather difficult to incorporate into their work habits. As for sitting in on board meetings, I have been the CEO of a transportation corporation for over 10 years and the only constant in business is change.
New operating systems require that adopters learn new habits. The app market is young yet and better apps are in the pipe. Until then, we adapt or we revert to what we had in the past. Android will improve in many areas as it grows. These are growing pains and will pass. I will agree that the word processing apps available are rather simplistic but solutions are found, apps improve, and we all benifit from that.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

scrambledegg

Dec 3, 2011
"it's in the keyboard..." can you elaborate? does this mean there is a setting in the keyboard that turns on spell check? Today I went to BB & played around with Polaris, then Pages on the iPad 2... I was quite impressed with Polaris, but I can't mess around I kneed spell cheque!

This isn't an oversight. Its by design.

Spell checking has been moved out of the Apps into the keyboard. The theory is that it is silly for app after app to incorporate spell checking, each with their own dictionary when all words have to go thru the keyboard anyway. All computers should have done it this way from the beginning, that way you would have spell check support in every app instead of only specific word processing apps.

Admittedly it falls down when you are trying to correct someone else's spelling.

So, don't expect spell checking to show up any time soon. If that means you can't keep the tab, then so be it.