When are we getting the update?!?!?!?!

AtomicHack3r

Jan 16, 2012
Called them in February and said it was supposed to be at the end of the month, it's now March, and still no update??? And also is it gonna be Honeycomb or ICS? Why waste time with Honeycomb when it runs best on sual core devoces and we have single core? Thumbs up for more support and smarter devs at Vizio!

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yep there are a couple of threads already covering these sentiments. No word on when we are actually getting the update, just rumors. According to those it is any day now and going to be Honeycomb.

Yes they should be skipping straight to ICS at this point. I think most of us would like to see any action by Vizio at this point just to let us know they are actually still aware they have tablets out there. So even Honeycomb would be welcome. Heck I bet most people here would be happy if they just did another update to roll back the last one (which prevents root) and give control of the fate of our tablets back to us.

awr66

Mar 7, 2012
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent inquiry with VIZIO. I would be more than happy to help you with your concern. Here at VIZIO we do offer best in class technical support.

We are working to update the tablet OS to Honeycomb. Unfortunately, we do not have an ETA on the release. As long as the tablet is connected to the internet, the tablet will automatically receive the update when it becomes available.

If you need any additional assistance feel free to contact VIZIO at 1-888-849-4623 or chat with us at chat.vizio.com

Thanks and have a great day!

Randal Wigton
VIZIO -The Home of Entertainment Freedom for All
800 Stevens Port Drive Suite DD750
Dakota Dunes SD 57049
Phone 877-878-4946
visit us: America's #1 LCD HDTV Company | VIZIO
Facebook: Vizio | Facebook
Twitter : VIZIO (@VizioTV) on Twitter

Fishtank

Nov 30, 2011
So here's a question for the tablet saavy. I've got my Vtab on .57, not rooted (obviously). Since my business and personal needs require the SD card for media and not a large number of apps, the lack of root isn't an issue for me. However, I do notice that the tablet is a bit sluggish and unresponsive at times. Will a Vizio "upgrade" to Honeycomb, an OS designed for dual core processors, end up slowing the Vtab even more?

For me, the Vtab was an experiment to see if a tablet would be a useful productivity tool for my business, and the experiment was a rousing success. I'm now so spoiled by carrying .PDF versions of my price books into sales, and have my video presentations and product photo galleries on the vtab, I could never go back to lugging physical binders. As a low-cost, proof of concept, the Vtab was great. That said, if Honeycomb slows it down, I'm not married to the vtab itself.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi fishtank, first of all it is not correct to say that Honeycomb is an OS designed for dual core processors. In fact the Android requirements for all of the various versions are quite low. It is a bit of misinterpretation to say that but, it has become common due to the fact that Honeycomb was a "tablet OS" that came out just as the first tablets to get it were going dual core leading to the unfortunate association.

All versions of Android before Honeycomb were created specifically for phones but not limited to phones. Honeycomb was created specifically for tablets but can still be run on phones (though not officially from Google). ICS is the first Android OS that is intentionally designed to run on both phones and tablets.

As far as your question regarding the useability of Honeycomb on the Vtab, it is anybody's guess. A straight version of Honeycomb from Google should run on the vtab just fine but it is up to Vizio to implement the software on the device. Given their heavy skinning of the current OS the chances are that they will also heavily modify Honeycomb. Only time will tell if they do a good job or a poor job.

At the moment we are all just waiting to see what Honeycomb on the vtab actually means. There is no reason to suspect that vizio will release an update which makes the tablet run worse (at least not intentionally) given the amount of time they have had to work on this update.