Where are the Apps saved?

theksp111

Apr 5, 2011
Quick question - when you have a sd card in and you download apps are the apps saved on the sd card or are they stored on the device?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Do you mean when you download apps from the market? If you download the apks as files from the web it depends on where your browser saves them.

theksp111

Apr 5, 2011
Do you mean when you download apps from the market? If you download the apks as files from the web it depends on where your browser saves them.

yes. when you download from the market.

i want to know if i should have interchangable sd cards or just card with lots of storage.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Newer versions of apps (for android 2.2 and up) can be saved to and run from sd cards but otherwise they go to internal memory. If you like to tinker multiple cards are good for saving backups, booting and using to run bootable ROMs. If you like meida, books, vids, pics, music, then one large card is probably better. It really just depends on what you want to use it for and how you feel about changing cards.

JP

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
This looks like a good thread to ask, how do you lable your micro SD cards (physically) and do you keep them in a sleeve and where/what do you keep them in?

Sent from my NC using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well, I don't physically label my Micro SD just keep track mentally. As far as storing mine came with SD adapters which I keep them in since there are many holders for standard SD cards and they are a much more manageable size.

JP

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Apps are installed to internal storage: folder /system/app

If you choose to use a application backup app/utility such as Astro file manger or Titanium backup, they both backup your applications apk file to your sd card:
-for Astro - sd card/backups/apps
-for Titanium backup - sd card/titaniumback/

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
But, books are stored to SD? Nook books and Kindle books? Or are they also in internal?

Sent from my Nook Color using Android Tablet Forum

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
But, books are stored to SD? Nook books and Kindle books? Or are they also in internal?

Sent from my Nook Color using Android Tablet Forum

Both (or can be both)

Book keep internally in 3 different places:
/system/media/books
/system/media/my files
/media/B&N Downloads/books

On sd card:
/sdcard/B&N Downloads/books

Isn't that only for system apps? What about /data/app? Isn't that where the rest of the app is are?

Swyped from my NookColor

Most apps regardless if system apps or downloaded app are in internal:/system/app
Some (if sd is present) are installed to /sdcard/data and some after install internally can be moved to /sd/data as an option.

Taurus

Jan 18, 2011
That's interesting. I wonder if it's because we're running different ROMs. I have only system apps in internal: /system/app while all apps that I have downloaded are in internal: /data/app.

Swyped from my NookColor

d3bear

Apr 29, 2011
If you download apps and it indicates that it installs, where do they go from there? I have downloaded 3 different keyboards to try and I am not able to find them once they are downloaded. The Market indicates that they have been done and the Nook indicates it has been installed but I have no idea where the APK files are located so I can check to see if I need to move them so they will actually work.

d3bear

Apr 29, 2011
I was able to find that the files in the SDCard\Download had a couple files names "downloadfile.apk" and "downloadfile-1.apk". When I clicked on the files and used app launcher which provided details on the applications that were download. The files happened to be related to a couple applications that failed to install. I was able to install one of the applications.

Still looking for where the 3 keyboard application have been hidden.

Taurus

Jan 18, 2011
Hey d3bear, if you haven't yet, you have to go into Menu > Languages & Keyboard and check the boxes of the keyboards that you would like to use. You then long press on any text field and a box will pop up, tap Input Method and then choose which keyboard you want to use.

d3bear

Apr 29, 2011
Taurus - I dream a bold dream it was that easy.

I wish I could find it. After I manual rooted this go around things have not been quite the same smooth sailing as the auto-nooter. I do not have a Language setting anywhere in the tools or settings area. When I go to Settings there is a Keyboard but that only has the original standard options (i.e. sound, etc.). When I go into the Nook Tools the main menu indicates to use another keyboard you need to copy the apk file to the system/app area to get it to work. That is the only other place where I can change the keyboard. When I go into the manage applications all the keyboards are there and appeared to be installed.

So I am real confused at this point on where to go from here. I actually paid for a couple the keyboards that are listed so it would be nice to use them.