Which Antivirus is good for Acer A500 ?

Which Anti-Virus is Good for Android

• Total voters

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
couldn't disagree more.. Google only removes the malware it catches. for every one that gets caught, two more come into the market as it grows and expands,

Citation needed.

Lets face it, you pulled that statistic right out of your Ass.

I hereby defy you to install what ever malware/virus scanner you want and then download from the market ANYTHING that will trigger it.

Gauntlet Thrown.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
It appears we'll never agree on much. Such is life. Carry on :)

The difference is I have run the tests (on dozens of machines in our company) and you have not.

Our company saved not upgrading 4 or 5 machines that users were complaining were slow by SIMPLY uninstalling Norton (or McAfee) and switching to AVG.

Product loyalty is fine, I get that.

But being blind to even trying a better alternative is willful ignorance.

zcostilla

May 13, 2011
Citation needed.

Lets face it, you pulled that statistic right out of your Ass.

I hereby defy you to install what ever malware/virus scanner you want and then download from the market ANYTHING that will trigger it.

Gauntlet Thrown.

I didn't make it up, and I know that you can skew any statistic, so of course it needs to be taken for what it is. It was briefed at theTechnetExpo by Dave Chronister, Managing Technical Partner, Parameter Security :: Technology Forums ::. I'm not a network expert, being a radar guy by trade, but I work with some of amazing computer & network experts, and when I see those guys nodding their heads in agreement, I tend to take notice. I hear the real geeks there talk and debate these kind of things all the time, so I tend to take their recommendations. I use AVG for my home PCs, and lookout on my phones.

As for your challenge to try to get me to intentionally try to download malware to test the security, NO WAY!!! I'll do it on your phone/email account if you provide one; otherwise, I don't feel like wasting my own money and risking my credit score. We can agree to disagree civilly, or you can act like a troll. Either way, that's up to you.

Last edited:

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
The difference is I have run the tests (on dozens of machines in our company) and you have not.

Our company saved not upgrading 4 or 5 machines that users were complaining were slow by SIMPLY uninstalling Norton (or McAfee) and switching to AVG.

Product loyalty is fine, I get that.

But being blind to even trying a better alternative is willful ignorance.
wow 4 or 5 machines. All wilh the endless variables modern software throws up.
You can sound like an authority but it doesnt make you one.
Thanks for reminding me what arrogance looks like though.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
None needed as of yet IMO.

You're probably right about that. It's the "as of yet" part that troubles me. Do I wait until my system has been compromised and then protect it? Sort of like getting insurance after my house burns down?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You're probably right about that. It's the "as of yet" part that troubles me. Do I wait until my system has been compromised and then protect it? Sort of like getting insurance after my house burns down?

Ah, but that's the problem with anti-viruses/anti-malware packages. They can't protect against new threats very well (or at all).

Until the virus is in the wild and well researched the anti-virus software can't know about it.

The Android Market and the Amazon App store are "Curated App stores", where the vendor is well known, takes great care to prevent malware, and removes it from the store if it sneaks in. They can and will also delete malware from your device if they sold it to you via the Remote Kill Switch.

Both companies do an intense computerized analysis of the software, and they also attempt to screen their submitters. As each new virus is found and documented in any app it will be searched for in ALL apps before you even get a chance to install it from the Google market or Amazon app store.

Google will know about the virus or malware weeks or months ahead of any of the malware detectors. So if you buy only from Amazon or Android market you are already protected.

If you buy from dodgy app stores or download hacked programs you could get malware. If you install applications sent to you via email from people you don't even know, you might get malware.

And its unlikely ANY of the anti-virus/malware detectors will even notice it. I've yet to hear about ONE SINGLE case of any of these programs detecting any virus or malware other than carefully constructed test cases of bugs planted in test downloads, none of which were from the Android market.

So the catch 22 here is:

If you are careful enough to run Malware/Virus Detection, you probably don't need it since careful people do not install from untrustworthy places.

If you install from dodgy web sites more than likely the Antivirus software won't catch the infected malware anyway.

I don't care if you want to run an Anti-Malware app. Its your tablet. You can do as you wish. But you can't back up any claim that it provides any protection.

I have an Anti-Tiger rock in my garden, and have never seen a single Tiger since I put it there. It must work very well.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
@Icebike,
Thank you for your polite, well thought out reply. You present your argument quite well and I agree with the majority of it. However I still feel I'm getting that "ounce of prevention" from Lookout and AVG. They're free and don't affect my performance, so I say, "Why not?" It's possibly due to 20 years of Windows experience, but I feel better using something on my tablet to try to keep malware out. Better safe than sorry?

P.S. If you have a link to wherever you got that Anti-Tiger rock, I'd appreciate it. I'll bet it will look great next to my Anti-Croc rock. :rolleyes:

JeffBaxter

May 30, 2011
Hello Everyone!!!

Thanks for all the information and yes I got AVG for my Tab and I think its working good and if there would be any issue............You all are there to help me :)

Thanking you again
Jeff

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Good Afternoon,
Sorry for resurrecting a dormant thread.
But I was curious and didn't see an other threads. With the fact that the tablet can go to the non-mobile version of a site, is there a threat of viruses and malware?
Let's just say that while looking for a picture of the dragon from Reign of Fire, I infected my laptop so bad that it had to be re-imaged (my wife still hasn't forgiven me).
I'm really curious as to whether or not I should devote the time into researching this further.
I will temper my post by saying, yes, I'm a guy and what guys and computers are known for in regards to antivirus question may happen.

Also, besides the anti tiger and croc rocks, dies your supplier carry anti-zombie rocks? ;)

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I'm really curious as to whether or not I should devote the time into researching this further.

No

There are no viruses for Android in the wild. When one is found, you won't be the first to find it.

No antivirus product for Android has ever published any results indicating that it successfully detected a virus
that arrived in email or web pages.

There are bad apps, but not so much in the Android market (they get booted immediately) and no anti-virus
program has ever successfully detected any of the bad apps that appear in dodgy web sites.

Its a huge scam.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Is the app akin to what a site or evil link would infect you with? I feel secure about the apps I use, but not all the sites I used, even the family friendly ones. Does this mean that the antivirus apps don't even check the sites?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
There is no antivirus for linux or android that intercepts browser requests and scans them for virus or malware.
They only look at files you save, they don'e even look at your browser cache.

You can not install any virus software on the tablet unless it is in .apk form.
Anytime you try to install a .apk it will ask for confirmation.
Even if the site somehow tricked you into downloading an executable file (or an .apk) to your downloads directory it wouldn't run because the permissions on the file would not allow it.
You have to install it first, and you always have to confirm that.

If you do not have "unknown sources" checked it won't even ask you if you click on an .apk , it simply won't install anything other than directly from the market.

Android is not Windows.

Things are not eligible to execute simply by being present on the device. You have to set the execute bit on the file.
Even Java runs in a sandbox.

Last edited: