Which tablet to buy?

youknowwho

Jan 29, 2013
Hi,

Im deciding which tablet to buy and would like some advice and opinions! So here's the situation:

I'm looking for a 10 inch tablet and I plan to use it to browse and delete photos from my camera (that uses an SD card). I'm also planning to watch movies and tv shows on it as well as remote desktop to my PC. Hence, I'm looking for a device with:
-awesome screen
-powerful processor
-SD card slot and hopefully a USB port
-decent battery life
-good price (< $500)
-smooth performance and doesnt crash often (I have an HTC EVO 3D and it crashes all the time, very frustrating)

With a lot of googling, I narrowed my options down to the transformer tf 700 and the nexus 10. Now I can't decide between the two. I read that the tf700 has IO issues and crashes a lot. However, its got the SD card slot and expandable memory. On the other hand, the Nexus 10 doesn't have expandable memory but I read that it could be worked around with USB OTG. Also the nexus 10 could be cheaper if I go for the 16 GB model but I'm not so sure how feasible this memory size would be.

What are your opinions? TF700? N10 16GB, N10 32GB? Something else? Please help me decide, I never bought a tablet before and I'm not sure about the real world experiences of the two devices (I believe that better spec sheets does not always equal better real world use).

Thank you very much!

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Your mention of the sd card really should narrow your choice to the tf700, an awesome tablet. While the Samsung Nexus 10 seams great the lack of expandable storage could lead to headaches in the long run given your needs. That said if you decide on the Samsung get as much internal storage as possible.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Doublesixes

Dec 6, 2010
My Acer Iconia A500 has a full USB port, SD card slot, HDMI output, micro USB, a very nice 10.1 inch screen, etc. It won't be factory upgraded to JB, the mic really sucks but those shortcomings aside, it's a very decent tab for under $400.

fish1552

Jul 19, 2011
As much as I would like to tell you the Nexus 10 since I LOVE the Nexus lineup, the OTG issue relies on a custom kernel and the multi-user issue currently breaks some of the more popular apps for it. If unrooted, you would be able to read and access, but not write to the card. So if you plan on rooting, then it probably won't be an issue. If not, then your decision is probably made for you already.

I would hate for you to get one and be disappointed because one of the main reasons you list isn't 100% usable out of the box. And that causes more people to get frustrated and dump Android because they aren't getting the experience they wanted. So I would recommend the ASUS. ASUS makes some great products. I haven't had 1 complaint with my Nexus 7.

Last edited:

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
I have the Acer A500 and 10 1 Note, birth excellent devices.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

youknowwho

Jan 29, 2013
Hey thank you very much for your replies!

Getting the experience that I want is definitely important and for that reason I feel that I'm torn between choosing laggyness and paying $150 extra (tf700) VS lack of USB port (N10).

I understand that the hassle of USB OTG can be annoying but wouldn't a laggy and relatively sluggish performance ruin the experience as a whole?

Also, does anyone know the approximate size of an HD android tablet app?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
An app can range from a few megs to a gig or more. Games are usually the larger apps.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The average size of Android and iOS apps is currently at 40MB. That includes apps that are smaller and large game apps. So 1GB of space is taken up by about 25 apps.