Which to Buy?

smalcom

Oct 15, 2011
I am in the process of returning my Coby Kyros 7127 tablet. It died while I was using it, and there is no way to resuscitate it (can't even turn it on or off , and I don't know what state it is in.) I have had too many problems with Kyros, so I am going to move up in the world. I am looking at the lenovo A1, the Velocity Micro Cruz PS47 and the Huawei S7 Slim. Any thoughts? I rank them as 1) lenovo 2) Velocity 3) Huawei, with the Huawei a distant 3rd. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

smalcom

Oct 15, 2011
Just ordered a Velocity Micro Cruz PS47. Should be here on Monday. I will report back once I get it up and running. Chose this one due to the many negative comments on Amazon and other sites about the lenovo A1. Lets see of this one survives.

cpt_noob

Dec 15, 2011
I am in the process of returning my Coby Kyros 7127 tablet. It died while I was using it, and there is no way to resuscitate it (can't even turn it on or off , and I don't know what state it is in.) I have had too many problems with Kyros, so I am going to move up in the world. I am looking at the lenovo A1, the Velocity Micro Cruz PS47 and the Huawei S7 Slim. Any thoughts? I rank them as 1) lenovo 2) Velocity 3) Huawei, with the Huawei a distant 3rd. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'd rank them the same way. I like lenovo, but for the price (about $235) I really like the zenithink 280. (not the 180, that one sucks) I've heard many bad things about the huawei, so personally, i wouldnt get that one.

when I purchased mine, I had a ranking system. this is the priority system I used

OS. The higher the version, the more features it will have. Also, devs seem to like working on stuff that's current. So if you get a 2.3.4 android OS to start with, chances are, you'll enjoy many updates, and quickly. (my zenithink gets a OS update every 2 weeks it seems) Plus, if it has a updated OS, you will be able to use the better apps. (like flash)

processor. I like the ARM chipset. Not that other chipsets are bad, but i know that the A9 is a solid chip.. I've always liked samsung (the manufacturer of the A9 chip)

Android Market. sometimes the OS build doesnt come with market. You can add it in afterwards, but that can be a real pain sometimes. Personally, i look for a build with it already installed. you can save a lot of headaches that way.

USB port. this is very important. especially if the tablet you're looking to get is lacking something you want. just buy a cheap dongle and toss it in. A bluetooth dongle costs about $5-$10 and the gps costs about $25-30. just be sure that its an actual usb port like on your laptop, and not just a mini/micro usb cord like on your phone. the dongles are standard usb

ram.
obviously more is better. i'd try to get one thats at least 256... if not 512. it will give your apps some much needed breathing room

internal storage.
not that important, especially since you can move your apps to the SD card now. But I'd still try to get one thats at least 2-4 gigs+ (I found a 8 gig sd card for $8 and a 16 gig for $16 on ebay, so its pretty cheap to throw in additional space.

Last edited:

tumpy

Dec 15, 2010
avoid headache and get lenovo, none of the rest will work good with hc even worst ics this os need resourse like ram and cpu and those 256 and 512 mb ram isn't enough, i am posting this on thor's stable acer 500 ics rom..cpt your post has many flaws when it come to resources needed for smooth transaction in hc and ics....

cpt_noob

Dec 15, 2011
avoid headache and get lenovo, none of the rest will work good with hc even worst ics this os need resourse like ram and cpu and those 256 and 512 mb ram isn't enough, i am posting this on thor's stable acer 500 ics rom..cpt your post has many flaws when it come to resources needed for smooth transaction in hc and ics....

While i do have to agree that the lenovo is a good tablet, it is very expensive. If i was going to purchase something in that price range, i'd wait for the quad cores that are coming out soon.

the tablet i have uses gingerbread, not honeycomb or ice cream sandwich, so 512 megs of ram seems to work ok. it is a bit buggy, however. everything is a battle. right now i'm trying to get netflix to actually play something. But if you're willing to put up with its limitations, it is still a very good tablet, at about half the price of the lenovo.

smalcom

Oct 15, 2011
I'd rank them the same way. I like lenovo, but for the price (about $235) I really like the zenithink 280. (not the 180, that one sucks) I've heard many bad things about the huawei, so personally, i wouldnt get that one.

when I purchased mine, I had a ranking system. this is the priority system I used

OS. The higher the version, the more features it will have. Also, devs seem to like working on stuff that's current. So if you get a 2.3.4 android OS to start with, chances are, you'll enjoy many updates, and quickly. (my zenithink gets a OS update every 2 weeks it seems) Plus, if it has a updated OS, you will be able to use the better apps. (like flash)

processor. I like the ARM chipset. Not that other chipsets are bad, but i know that the A9 is a solid chip.. I've always liked samsung (the manufacturer of the A9 chip)

Android Market. sometimes the OS build doesnt come with market. You can add it in afterwards, but that can be a real pain sometimes. Personally, i look for a build with it already installed. you can save a lot of headaches that way.

USB port. this is very important. especially if the tablet you're looking to get is lacking something you want. just buy a cheap dongle and toss it in. A bluetooth dongle costs about $5-$10 and the gps costs about $25-30. just be sure that its an actual usb port like on your laptop, and not just a mini/micro usb cord like on your phone. the dongles are standard usb

ram.
obviously more is better. i'd try to get one thats at least 256... if not 512. it will give your apps some much needed breathing room

internal storage.
not that important, especially since you can move your apps to the SD card now. But I'd still try to get one thats at least 2-4 gigs+ (I found a 8 gig sd card for $8 and a 16 gig for $16 on ebay, so its pretty cheap to throw in additional space.

Thanks for the input. I found the Velocity Micro PS47 for a very good price ($179.99) at Sears, so I bought it. As I investigated, I found a large number of negative reviews about the lenovo, and the price difference was significant. I bought a 32GB card for the 7127 on Amazon for $28.09.

OS The PS47 runs Gingerbread, although not sure which release, but I did notice on the Cruz website that the do update the OS.
Processor The PS47 uses a 1GHz Cortex A8 (single core).
Android Market Needs to be added. Have the files from the 7127.
USB Port The PS47 charges through the USB port. The provide an AC adapter, but it can also charge from the computer, albeit slower.
RAM 512MB same as the 7127.
Internal Storage 2GB. Wish it had 4GB, but it's workable.

If it turns out that this is also a bad unit, I will be able to say I tried, and go get the lenovo (the price is $249). Thank you for the input. I will be posting in the Velocity Micro forum (much smaller that this one), but will update this thread periodically.

cpt_noob

Dec 15, 2011
Thanks for the input. I found the Velocity Micro PS47 for a very good price ($179.99) at Sears, so I bought it. As I investigated, I found a large number of negative reviews about the lenovo, and the price difference was significant. I bought a 32GB card for the 7127 on Amazon for $28.09.

OS The PS47 runs Gingerbread, although not sure which release, but I did notice on the Cruz website that the do update the OS.
USB Port The PS47 charges through the USB port. The provide an AC adapter, but it can also charge from the computer, albeit slower.

If it turns out that this is also a bad unit, I will be able to say I tried, and go get the lenovo (the price is $249). Thank you for the input. I will be posting in the Velocity Micro forum (much smaller that this one), but will update this thread periodically.

cortex8 is good too, especially with GB. I'd say thats a pretty good find at the price. I've been having fun with mine, its an amazing emulator. Yours should be just as strong.
the best one i've found is the n64oid for n64 games. I'm planning on getting a bluetooth controller, and then can hook it up to the tv with the hdmi.
equalizer is another good program if your speakers seem too low. The zenithink's volume was amazingly low. And it was able to increase the volume so much that it was straining the speaker

i think we're talking about two different types of usb ports. the small mini/micro version and the regular full sized version like on your keyboard. although it would make sense that there should be an adapter. I'll have to look into that. The possibilities are pretty endless at this point. That's why I love android. Just wish I had the time to learn to code. I'd love to get into programming device drivers. Imagine what the LEGO Mindstorms NXT could do if it had android controlling it.

smalcom

Oct 15, 2011

Velocity went back six weeks ago. It wouldn't run the Android Market and a few other apps that I need. Bit the bullet and bought the Lenovo A1 ($199 at Amazon). Currently on sale at Lenovo for $199. Am very pleased with this tablet. It does everything I want, and has been extremely reliable. Have found enough apps (currently over 100 including pre-installed), have replaced the launcher with the GO launcher and have no plans to root it. No, it's not perfect, but for the price, I don't think you can beat it.

Thanks for all the comments. Will check back periodically with additional likes/dislikes/comments