WIFI 2.4 & 5 Ghz

voyageurs60

Dec 27, 2010
OK - so the gTab specs indicate 802.11 a/b/n

Does your gTab see the 5 Ghz frequency? How can we tell.

Thanks - Dan

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
From some reading, there is 1 phone that does the 5 g thing and no tablets. Best Buy starts most do not work with it unless an external receiver is used. Thing is, every laptop for the least 5 years but 1 has handle the 5 g feature except my current one, a high end Toshiba. When I found out it would not connect to the high suited side of my network, I had already installed bunches of software on it. Went back to Best Buy and heard their sob story. Not willing to install on a replacement machine, the gave me the USB adapter at 50% off.

The higher frequency is nice on a Wifi jungle.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

PvT

Nov 7, 2011
Hi, I also have a toshiba laptop... which 5ghz adapter works for you? Ive tried 2 (including the netgear one made for my router) and nothing I hooked them to (laptop, tablet or xbox360) would pick up the 5 ghz signal... I even had netgear log onto my router remotely to verify its set up correctly.... any tips? have the dual band router... shame to not use it....
thanks in advance.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
Actually the frequency is very diferent then sayign 4g 5g ect.

My Acer will connect to my 5g router and frequency fine, it does fit the WIreless-300mb/sec standards and ability.

Just note -G is meant for streaming media and content such as that, it is specificaly made to handle certain types of data on multi band routers and wirelsss-n devices. A recent update to the netflix app can force it to try it at those speeds if your touter supports it.

Asus makes excellant routers now with major control over thsoe antennae. Just remember in that frequency, and increasing speed with it, range decreases.

New devices and routers automatically swtch with it as required, streaming data (video's, music ect) will utilize the 5ghrz range, while standard data will utilize 2.4

IF your router is not designed to do and N at the same time (many common are not) you will not utilize it. Having a wireless b/g device conencted will often limit all other devices to that setting, regardless if they are wireless n or not. Be sure you have at minimal a dual band router with the ability to do both at the same time (not all duals will either).

Last edited:

barleysinger

Jun 12, 2013
802.11 a and n use 5 Ghz, so the GTab must 'see' it.

You are mxing terms (apples and oranges) here

Both 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ bands will talk at "n" speeds.

2.4 ghz does b/g/n speeds
5 ghz band does a/n speegs (but does not talk to "b" or "g")

Speed is not band/frequancy. The band difference comes down to the range (max distance you can be from the router without a booster)

The biggest issue/mess here happens when you deal with secutity issues on a network with older devices (and the inherent security protocol choices & conflicts)

* if you have a single band router and you need WPA security you have issues

1) the "n" speed on wifi is not at all compatible with WPA security
2) so if you set your router to use WPA. so you can talk to any older device, you lose your "n" speed
3) many older devices (including game machines - especially the *COMMON & EVERYWHERE* Nintendo DS) ONLY speaks WPA security
4) so ... do you want your Nintendo DS to talk to your router (so that the games don't suck anymore)?
5) you now must change the security on your router to WPA - which makes your router signals "Nintendo DS compatible" (and also able to speak to many various forms of early slime molds and most sauropods; including - but not limited to: the Brachiosaurus, Diplodocus and the Apatosaurus)
6) now your network speaks to you Nintendo DS *BUT* ...oh no...it CANNOT talk at "n" speeds anymore
7) enter the dual band router to the rescue - speaking two frequencies at once (hope that your fast wifi "n" machines all talk 5GHZ)

IF you have a dual band router that has concurrent mode - then you can

* set up your 5ghz band to use WEP
* set up your 2.4ghz band to use WPA
* put the router into concurrent mode (talk on both bands at once - Concurrently at 2.4GHz and 5GHz at all of the various on SOME band - 802.11a/b/g/n)

If you do this then any older machine (like your DS) will have a way to connect to your network. It just does it under old security - that old 64bit or 128bit WPA security key method, even though you had to drop down to dino-town-tech to do it

BUT - one problem. After this change to the dual band router...If your "n" speed machine does not talk 5ghz - oh well. then you are stuck with you huge vidoes streaming with a bit of a stutter expecially at the far end of the house (get a booster)

** incidentally, the Nintendo DS was made for a long time (not for just 6 months) and the ones that are not ancient, they do not have any good reason for this limitation. They were AROUND long after WEP existed, and after "n" speeds were common. They OUGHT to have allowed WEP so you got "n" on your network without this mess.

Nintendo Cheaped out.