Wifi Data Usage for specific connections

Kangdroid

Apr 18, 2013
Hi folks,

Just wondering if someone can point me in the direction of an app to solve my problem.

I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 Wi-Fi only and am using my iPhone (I know...) as a personal hotspot.

It all works fine but in order to not be charged extra for my data usage I need to keep the tablet data used through the phone down to under 1GB per day. This is easy enough to do as I am only using it on the train for a few minutes at a time and not doing any huge downloads but I want to be able to monitor the usage that goes through the personal hotspot connection in isolation.

Obviously I have the Wi-Fi at home and other places that I use and I want to keep them distinct.

I am using "My Data Manager" but there seems to be no way to set it to monitor individual wifi connections.

Does anyone know of an app (or a setting for MDM) that can allow me to do this?

Any help much appreciated. :)

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

I'm fairly certain you pined down the problem. You tablet is communicating over WiFi, phone or no phone. I am not aware of any app that would be able to tell the difference or separate it out.

Vic42

Dec 18, 2013
Has anything changed since this April 2013 post? I too need an app that will distinguish between WiFi connections. I use an Internet-on-the-Go hotspot when away from free wifi, so it's the only one that needs monitored. It would be great to be able to specify which internet connection(s) to monitor. I would guess that very few people need to monitor their free wifi connections.