Wifi will not stay on

mwarlen

May 21, 2011
I just purchased the Sylvania tablet. Every time I enable Wifi, 30 seconds later it turns off. I try to find wireless networks by scanning and it always says it cannot. I have even tried a static ip. This doesn't work either. Any suggestions?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I just purchased the Sylvania tablet. ... Any suggestions?

In the How to manually update SYNET7LP/SYTABEX7 to Android 2.2 "Froyo" thread the following was posted suggesting updating, if applicable to the Hardware ID "hwver" of the tablet, will improve WiFi along with a few other things.

After spending the day with my tablet and my job, i work with it as well, i'll have to report that the beta4 update for the express model is the one to install; ........... wifi is splendid, like when i purchased, i can connect and disconnect whenever i want; the boot time is faster than the beta3 altought ...

dozenkidz

May 25, 2011
i have recently gotten a styvannia 7 inch table and am having a problem with my wifi it recognizes my wireless in my home but keeps disconnecting i am confused as to whom i should call before i return it. my century link wi fi provider or the sylvania hotline., thanks, mary dozenkidz

jfbb43

Jun 25, 2011
I'm having the same problem, and this was after updating to 2.2. It was working fine until I went to work and hooked up to the WiFi there. After my display went to sleep my WiFi turned off and would not restart. I knew this was gonna happen by reading other threads, no big deal reboot it. Wrong! Now when I boot it WiFi is disabled, turn it on and it seems to enable. It starts to scan for networks then gives me error unable to scan for networks, then the WiFi turns off. So I went through resources thread and updated the driver and set to 20 TxPower. Still no help. I'm hoping when I get home it will pick up on my network since it won't be searching 10+ different wireless
networks. The first picture is when I turned on WiFi, the second shows the error, and the last is where the WiFi turns off.
$2011-6-25-20-20-10.jpg$2011-6-25-20-20-37.jpg$2011-6-25-20-44-41.jpg

On a side note, my MicroSDHC card reader still sees my card when it is pulled out, if I put it back in it doesn't pick up on it. I have to reboot to get it to pick up on it again. I noticed this when taking the screen shots, I didn't have the card in and it was still saving them to the card.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I'm having the same problem, and this was after updating to 2.2.
Welcome jfbb43, what is the Hardware ID "hwver" and what update did you apply? There are a few updates available so it would be beneficial to know which hardware and what update are having issues? Also, are you having the "crackle" issue where the speaker emits a hiss when wifi is on and active?

On a side note, my MicroSDHC card reader still sees my card when it is pulled out, if I put it back in it doesn't pick up on it. I have to reboot to get it to pick up on it again. I noticed this when taking the screen shots, I didn't have the card in and it was still saving them to the card.
This has been observed previously and again may be related to specific Hardware ID's "hwver" so again, posting details related to your setup would benefit others.

jfbb43

Jun 25, 2011
Thanks for replying, I've been messing around with this all day. I'm on 11.2.1.5 and I applied 11.2.1.5_beta3_fina2.ius. I've only had the tablet a few days. I haven't noticed the "crackle" issue. It was working fine the previous day, I got on fine this morning at home. I decided to bring it to work. I hooked up to one of the open networks. I had it set for the display to time out after 10 minutes. When I woke it up I messed around with it a bit getting my self ready to update the WiFi adapter. I went to connect to the app store, that is when I noticed the network connection was lost. I also had this app called WiFi buddy on, I uninstalled at some point in time today. I rebooted and that is when I couldn't reconnect, it would just enabled and disabled. I updated the driver for the WiFi, and updated touchscreen. When back to it some more, still nothing. Reinstalled that WiFi buddy app, nothing in there helps. I'm new to android, but found it fairly easy to do everything in the threads. I messed around with all the WiFi settings. The only thing i didn't try was going static. Thanks again for the help.
$2011-6-25-22-37-3.jpg

jfbb43

Jun 25, 2011
Update:

Late last night I saw that it had picked up on my home network. The WiFi link was checked, but said disconnected. I tried to connect to the network, but it never did. I turned off the WiFi then back on, and I'm back to the same problem.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Try beta4 on an 11.2.1.5. It has had the most positive posts in this thread and the other EX7 threads. It has also been suggested before updating start from factory meaning, delete all user data by doing a "factory data reset" and then "Apply a factory reset (three finger method)".

jfbb43

Jun 25, 2011
I had to hook up a keyboard to be able to select the factory reset on boot. Factory reset was no problem, but not having any luck with the three finger method. It just keeps booting all the way. When I did my factory data reset should I have check off to remove /local? Also do you think not being able to use the touchscreen on boot is causing my problem with not being able to do a three finger reset?

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I had to hook up a keyboard to be able to select the factory reset on boot. Factory reset was no problem, but not having any luck with the three finger method. It just keeps booting all the way.
Wow, that issue hasn't been posted/discussed that I know of, so I would attribute it to beta3. Most users only had beta3 installed only for a short time as beta4 was discovered soon after. See Jv90's post #136 for a users experience with beta4 in http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-sytabex7-android-2-2-froyo-14.html#post91611. Another reason to update with beta4 even if you can't "three finger method" factory reset as that was only a suggestion to ensure no parts of beta3 where left over.

When I did my factory data reset should I have check off to remove /local?
Yes, is was observed that during the automatic update process the update files are saved so this has led to suggestion to clear off the tablet before updating.

Also do you think not being able to use the touchscreen on boot is causing my problem with not being able to do a three finger reset?
Attribute this to the beta3 update. Once updated to beta4 if the issue still exists then I would suggest returning to Digital Gadgets Customer Service for repair or replacement under the warranty which is what you can also do now without manually updating. They are almost (require receipt and within the warranty time) unconditionally supporting these tablets though a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) process initiated either by phone or faster on their web contact page. They provide a paid shipping label, the device is sent to their NJ location at their expense, your time and effort, it is updated/replaced (if they can reproduce the issue), and shipped back at their expense.

Given the choices, manual update to beta4, see how it goes or return for support is one of the benefits of having this specific tablet and this site to support users. Good luck and let us know what is the result.

Last edited:

jfbb43

Jun 25, 2011
I'm just having no luck what so ever. I did another factory reset and check off /local. Three finger still not working. Flashed with the 11.2.1.5.2.0_beta4.ius update, and the WiFi is doing the same thing. Tried the three finger again after the update, and it is still not letting me activate it. I'm beginning to think that the WiFi adapter may have failed. Unfortunately the receipt is gone, so sending to DG might be a problem. If there is nothing else I can do, I guess I can try to exchange it at CVS. Thanks for all the tips cfrockit, I was really hoping this would take care of it.
$2011-6-27-2-30-58.jpg

Last edited:

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
Just to add my own experience here. I have a brand new Disco 6000 which came out the box with And 2.2 pre-installed.

The wireless often drops out and will not reconnect without manually reselecting my wireless network in the wifi setings panel.

After a reboot the wireless is disabled by default.

This can't be right. Is a driver upgrade required, and if so why would the company have shipped a unit with dodgy drivers and/or firmware.

In addition this unit gets quite hot and battery life is terrible, even after removing the recommended phone and telephony .apk's afer rooting.

jfbb43

Jun 25, 2011
So I haven't powered on my tablet in a few days. I turn it on today and my wifi connected no problem. Never mind.... As I'm typing this my WiFi has crashed. Reset the device and its back to not connecting.

I also noticed my model number changed to SYTABEX7. This showed up after I flashed to beta4. Did I flash this thing wrong again? http://222.73.93.45/sysup.php?data=11.2.1.5&vcode=0 I just get the number 1 in return. Can some please tell me what am I going wrong?

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Just to add my own experience here. I have a brand new Disco 6000 which came out the box with And 2.2 pre-installed.

The wireless often drops out and will not reconnect without manually reselecting my wireless network in the wifi setings panel.

After a reboot the wireless is disabled by default.

This can't be right. Is a driver upgrade required, and if so why would the company have shipped a unit with dodgy drivers and/or firmware.

In addition this unit gets quite hot and battery life is terrible, even after removing the recommended phone and telephony .apk's afer rooting.

So I haven't powered on my tablet in a few days. I turn it on today and my wifi connected no problem. Never mind.... As I'm typing this my WiFi has crashed. Reset the device and its back to not connecting.

I also noticed my model number changed to SYTABEX7. This showed up after I flashed to beta4. Did I flash this thing wrong again? http://222.73.93.45/sysup.php?data=11.2.1.5&vcode=0 I just get the number 1 in return. Can some please tell me what am I going wrong?

Many of the infoTM devices are reported to have similar issues with the WiFi.

Two of the most posted fixes/hacks are described in Resources for the SYNET7LP/SYTABEX7/Disgo 6000/SYTAB10MT (SYNET10LP).

• Updated WiFi driver

• Auto-connect/Power saving WiFi
PS. meggiedude, We haven't heard of any Disgo's with 2.2 loaded. Any chance you could provide the Hardware ID "hwver"?

jfbb43, The "Model number" is hard coded in the Settings.apk. On the first batch of EX7 it showed the wrong "Model number" confusing everyone so it was finally fixed in beta4.

Last edited: