WITS A81 Capacitive Discussion

lawsoncl

Mar 16, 2011
Anyone else have experience with the GPS on the A81G? I really want built-in GPS for navigation rather than an external antenna or dongle, but not if it sucks.

Barry S

Apr 8, 2011
Anyone else have experience with the GPS on the A81G? I really want built-in GPS for navigation rather than an external antenna or dongle, but not if it sucks.

To the best of my knowledge the GPS aerial is etched into the main PCB, no discrete cable. I have played with several A81Gs with next to no success….I am in Berkshire UK, but the GPS test reports me as being at the Equator or in the Mediterranean Sea off Italy. As most Sat Nav applications requite 3G for on-line maps I have switched the GPS option off…..the plus side is the battery lasts longer. The choice is to buy a Sat Nav application that works with it’s own off-line maps and hope the iffy GPS hardware can do the job, or buy a no frills Sat Nav that you know will do the job reliably with up to date map data. The cheap Sat Nav seems the way to go.

Barry S

Apr 8, 2011
maybe I got a faulty one, GPS is virtually not working, and battery suuk big time! A after reset unit can drain 100% to 5% battery in 4hrs, without beening on.

A fully charged battery should be good for 6 hours if Bluetooth and GPS are turned off. Even with the Tablet powered off there seems to be power bleed; so a fully charged device will have lost charge between uses. Bring back the good old mechanical switch....when off meant off! Make sure your battery contacts are clean.

mal_k100

Apr 14, 2011
I have owned one of these Capacitive models for a couple of months.
Had to flash as soon as it arrived but was easy on step by step instructions.
GPS works
External HDD (powered 3.5" 2TB) works and plays vids/mp3etc. via main USB port
16GB flash works (formats a bit lower as expected)
Wifi works around the house
Browses using LAN or FTP works via Wifi using ES File explorer
I use Google Sky Map and it is fine so the gsensor works great
Books and comics OK - Kindle - ACV - Aldiko
External audio to speakers works
Can be used as a USB drive with micro USB port

Lacks application to stream from servers but that is me not finding the right app - downloads to SD but takes ages with wifi - will look for a solution to stream (SMB add on I think is needed)

Sometimes the scrolling does not work when holding in portrait and going to google market. I have to turn device to landsape ,scroll a bit and then will scroll properly in portrait.
Android 2.2 main screens in landscape only

Bought for under GBP200 and pleased at the moment.
Due to battery power it needs to be switched off overnight as I have wifi and GPS running 24/7. Looking for a battery powered mini external USB to avoid draining battery (I have not tried using a USB powered external drive).

Oh - capacitive screen working well with screen cover fitted. Glad I bought the capacitive version.

mal_k100

Apr 14, 2011
An update on streaming from my server......
I have installed File expert ad Rockplayer. I browse to my server using file expert and. avi files now stream without having to copy across. Not sure if this is just file expert, as es file explorer still copies across even when selecting rockplayer.

Sent from my MID using Android Tablet Forum