Xoom cost and release info disappointment

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Just my opinion, I could be wrong. Let the hate mail roll!

Unfortunately I think you spelled out basically what the Android community is saying. An iPad is THE tablet right now... and the way to beat that is better price, better specs, and advertise the heck out of it. Motorola has to remember price is the big thing.

Motorola made a splash with the Droid2 with a relatively high price phone.... the Xoom will not have the same results. Sorry to say...because I would like to get one. I will... 6 months down the road when they are $299.99 ;)

nickjr91

Feb 8, 2011
$800 is out of my price range. I can get a decent laptop for that.

They have to sell it to me and I have to sell it to the Mrs.

I pay Verizon for my Droid X data plan. I pay Time Warner for my home internet. I am not adding a 3rd data plan for something that I really don't need.

If I want to take pictures, I will use something that fits in my hand ... ie. my camera or my phone. Not something that is 10 inches big.

Also, I believe they are missing the boat by not including an IR blaster. I would love for this to be a fully functioning remote control for my TV, Xbox, PS3, etc. That would be the holy grail for a technology / electronics nut like myself. It would be a lot easier to sell to the Mrs. if I didn't have to pay a monthly charge and if she was using it as an all-in-one remote.

Jayce Miskel

Jan 17, 2011
Price is too high. Is it technically worth it compared to the ipad? Yes. Will the average consumer see it that way? No. This should not have been priced any higher than 699.99.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

rayw796

Dec 9, 2010
I would love to have the Xoom. With its higher resolution and better viewing angles than the Viewsonic G tablet, it would be better for what I use my tablet. However, double the price does not sit well. The G tablet does fine and with TnT 4.2.2 and score of 2300, it does it faster. When they have a wifi only for $600 or less I would then begin thinking that two tablets would be worth while.

cybercruiser

Jan 28, 2011
I was very excited about the Xoom, till I heard the price, I'd go $500 and $20/month data, but that's as high as I'm willing to go.

Fortunately there are others respectable competitors coming out: DELL, Toshiba and HTC, that hopefully one of them will come out with a feature rich alternative in my price range, preferably on Verizon, but I'd do Sprint if I had to.

jfdecastro

Dec 20, 2010
I'd go $500 and $20/month data, but that's as high as I'm willing to go.

I agree. I see Verizon doing the same thing they did with the Galaxy when it first came out. Now that they have lowered THAT price I would like to see the Xoom do take the same road at that price. Maybe that's wishful thinking but hey.....

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I'm pretty sure Xoom under Verizon will be A LOT cheaper.... along with a $20/mo data package to start. Some are saying $250 - $300...+.... data package.