[YouTube] Flashback - Honeycomb - Alpha 5.5 [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] by tlbardelljr

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Ref: [ROM - 1.2] Flashback - Honeycomb - Alpha 5.5 (7/17/11) [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com

As of now, this is the latest HC rom from tlbardelljr.

We were in the hospital for the last few days and my wife really enjoyed streaming video from the net. In fact the picture and sound are way better than watching the hospital's TV.

The video does not reflects the true beauty of screen due to our cheap camera. The actual screen was vibrant and sharp. The rom has nice boot screen and wallpaper. The wallpaper is not the best there is, as it affects some icons. But it is better than the ones from other rom's. Perhaps the standard blue background, which is included, is better for the eyes.

There are five screen pages, a Home page and four others. There should be plenty of real estate for folks to display their favorite apps. The first page I had it reserved for book readers, news readers, and media players; applications on the second; online apps on the third and games on the fourth.

The video gave a quick view of Aldiko, UPnPlay, NY Times, SetCPU, Smarbench (the score was around 2700), Youtube, Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Fruit Ninja, Plants Vs Zombies and few others.

The original video is 9 minutes long, H.264, 1280 x 720 frames, 7440 bps, 60 fps.

It is a very pleasant rom to use.

Installation:

Since I upgraded from an earlier Flashback version, I used this procedure:

- Boot into ClockWorkMod Recovery
- Select "Wipe Cache partition"
- Then select Advanced, and select "Wipe Dalvik Cache"
- Then from main menu, select "Install zip from sdcard"
- Do Not reboot after applying the upgrade
- Select "Wipe Cache partition"
- Reboot and let it sit for 5-10 minutes after 1st boot then check favorite apps and reinstall/move to tablet as needed then another reboot. Then when satisfied that everything works - Nandroid backup.

If I am to upgrade to this rom from another 1.2 bl rom, I would have to add the data wipe before and after the flash.

The rom's boot time is a little long for my tablet (just about 2 minutes). Other than that, it performs better than I expected. The video can demonstrate that.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

RumbleKittie

Jun 1, 2011
Just installed this rom a few days ago and I love, love, love it! Much zippier from before when using CM7 and HC gives it a more 'grown-up', tablet feel. Netflix works like a charm and the tablet-optimized apps (like News360) will make it difficult to switch back to Gingerbread. Very few incidences of force close issues. Overall, I'm very happy with this ROM.

mandroid

Sep 9, 2010
Flashed this rom tonight. I really like it in my opinion the best Honeycomb rom for the GTab out there at this time....I had one gallery FC upon initial loading but rebooted and cleared data and it has been fine since......

Randomsabers

Jul 25, 2011
Dave - quick question: no problems with Aldiko? I run it on my Nook CM7, and prefer it, but I thought I had read that people experienced problems or slowdowns running it on Flashback.
Admittedly, it might have been an earlier build, other than 5.5...but I am not smart enough to remember where I read it to go check it out.

Cheers
RY

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
and a quick answer . . . :) no problem with aldiko whatsoever. Use the free version. I had the paid version but trashed it long time ago. Also try iBook for android (free too). You may like it better.

Dave

beastman

May 8, 2011
Does netflix, flash, USB all work with flashback? Thinking of switching from cm 7.1 Rc 1
Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Netflix and Usb work perfectly, flash works with some issues. I am using the market flash and Opera browser which works for web video, and may work for games, but o don't do any flashgaming. The latest release notes on flashback says it has smartflash to enable web flash and game flash. Is suggest you give it a shot. It's fast, stable, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

beastman

May 8, 2011
Thanks...I will when I have time. Taking a short vacation this weekend, then whole month of Aug working OT every Saturday.