[ROM - 1.2] Flashback - Honeycomb for GTAB - Alpha 7.1 (8/3/11)

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
I also gather through reading here and on SD that battery life isn't exactly desireable. I have a thought. Has anyone tried to uninstall maps to see if that fixes the concern? I had this issue before on a phone ROM and it turned out that Maps was trying to use the GPS when it was turned off. eating the hell out of the battery. Just a thought.

sent from my FlashBack 7.2 Gtablet using Tapatalk
Very good point. Hope that you give us some statistic about battery life with different settings.

Dave

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Could sod be explained by a bad burn or corrupt file? Its starting to sound that way to me. It isn't an uncommon thing. Can be cause by multiple issues. There have been occasions wher i had to rewrite a file 5 times to get it to stick. Do you guys use MD5 for checksum verification?

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Could sod be explained by a bad burn or corrupt file? Its starting to sound that way to me. It isn't an uncommon thing. Can be cause by multiple issues. There have been occasions when i had to rewrite a file 5 times to get it to stick. Do you guys use MD5 for checksum verification?

Very good Sharpe, (or do you want to be addressed differently?).

Bad burn or corrupt file, app compatibility, overclocking, underclocking, etc . . . you are coming close.
Many folks don't try to think like you do. Some prefer to post and blame it on the developers. After a while, people got tired answering the same question.
A good practice would be starting in a cleanest slate. Install one app at a time and test it. Avoid overclocking.
Most don't want to hear it. Too much work, LOL.

You are starting to help with different approaches. That is great.

Dave

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
. . .
*edit* Usage statstics currently:
Mobile Network signal (why is this even on the list)
Wifi
Awake
Screen on

Keep in mind that I dont let the tablet "sleep". Screen off is set to "never"- this is supposed to prevent sleep mode (I hope). I cannot tell you how pissed I will be if this ROM craps out my new tablet. It makes me upset just thinking about it.
No percentages as of yet, but I think its still gathering data. Need a day or to to process fully.

However you want to handle, it is fine.

Most people complained that battery drain is excessive during 'sleep'. Same person may post >3% drain per hour, then the next day, came back with 1%, and 2% on the following day. So, it was concluded that battery performance is erratic.

You have an inquisitive mind (hah ! I found a better word), what do you think ? And how would you go about getting a consistent statistics?

Dave

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
However you want to handle, it is fine.

Most people complained that battery drain is excessive during 'sleep'. Same person may post >3% drain per hour, then the next day, came back with 1%, and 2% on the following day. So, it was concluded that battery performance is erratic.

You have an inquisitive mind (hah ! I found a better word), what do you think ? And how would you go about getting a consistent statistics?

Dave

We should all use a good basis for the test. Something like a battery monitor app (preferrably free) that everyone can just pop in there to give the best possible statistics we can muster. That should give us better information.

Speaking of erradic, my first run through the battery showed something like 4-5 hours to run down to 25%. Now it seems better, slower. I need to look into a good app for us to all use.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Very good ! the first requirement in any benchmark is a good 'measuring system analysis' or MSA for brief. I went to two doctor offices in one day. They gave me different weight figures which are 4 lbs apart. Which one is right ?

Secondly, I don't doubt the figures that people were reporting. I just question about the validity of the tests.
For example:
When someone said that he got 20 MPG one day. The next day, 17. Then 25, etc . . . There is one common denominator which is 'drive'. But there are other factors such as tire pressure, traffic, road condition, weather, speed, etc . . . Those are variations which affect the MPG. With respect to a tablet, apps that are running & the level of battery during testing are some of the variations.

Any thought ?

Dave

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
You can find the file I would like to use here. Ask no questions... just install and run for one week. This is not hokey malware. Just an app to get an accurate perspective of battery life. Post the data after 1 week of use. This should be the best possible benchmark for us to guage battery life statistics.

Also, please post any additional items running. For instance, I am running overclocked 912 low and 1.4gig high. Makes for fast and smooth operation. running the speed down to anything below 800mhz and your shooting yourself in the foot. I may burn more battery for the high side, but i won't use alot by underdriving the processor either. I've seen the after effects from underdriving and overdriving the processor first hand.

Last edited:

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
10% over 1 hour usage... so far. Using it alot (heavy usage). Even my wife used it today. Think of a torture test.

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
batteryUse.png

This is where I'm at now. Take a look and let me know.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Interesting chart.

The 'usage (mW) graph showed something like the tablet was running a bit after being unplugged, then a sleep period, then back on running again. Is that right ?

During the sleep period (?), something is still running for a while then the battery drops but with spikes.

I am not sure that I understand the scale of the graph, and certainly can't read the left column of data since they are a bit too small for my eyes.

I am sure that you can learn a lot from this app. Statistically, spikes and repeated changes on a graph are variations. If we can identify those, and fix, we should expect a process to run within control and can predict an outcome when we plan to make a change (i.e. new apps, cpu settings, usages, . . .etc . . )

Causes ----> Effects

Good works . . Sharpe

Dave,

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Interesting chart.

The 'usage (mW) graph showed something like the tablet was running a bit after being unplugged, then a sleep period, then back on running again. Is that right ?

During the sleep period (?), something is still running for a while then the battery drops but with spikes.

I am not sure that I understand the scale of the graph, and certainly can't read the left column of data since they are a bit too small for my eyes.

I am sure that you can learn a lot from this app. Statistically, spikes and repeated changes on a graph are variations. If we can identify those, and fix, we should expect a process to run within control and can predict an outcome when we plan to make a change (i.e. new apps, cpu settings, usages, . . .etc . . )

Causes ----> Effects

Good works . . Sharpe

Dave,

I'm not exactly sure what the spikes are... It appears that the spikes coincide with putting the tablet on the charger. Also, you have to input the battery capacity (3650mah) in the settings to get more accurate readings.

Essentially, the sleep period you see is me leaving the tablet alone. Just idle on battery. I don't let the tablet go to sleep, because, after a minute or so, it shuts down. Not really SOD, just a soft shutdown. The reason I suspect soft shutdown is that to restart the tablet I get all the splash screens like a normal startup (ie, the birds, Android 3.0, Flashback).

Honestly, I am very impressed with this ROM, however, I will not keep it long. I want to venture out and try others. I want to play with more Gingerbread ROMs as well as all the Froyo's available.

Last edited:

joe_mcp

Dec 7, 2010
I'd like to try this ROM out but I have question about the bootloader thing. I believe I am on 1.1 but I have done the steps to change partitions size to 2048 and run the formatall.zip I am currently running Vegan Gingerbread 7.1 I think...

Can I just try this out? Is the partition size the only diff between 1.1 and 1.2...

I did a quick search and found the thread about moving from 1.1 to 1.2 I haven't done the update to the stock 4349 rom but have done the partitions.

Thanks!

Joe

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Joe, it is BEST, perhaps it MANDATORY, that you must follow Option 3, then Option 2 in the original post.
Any other approach may not work, or worse, would soft brick your device.

So, it you are serious about this rom, then do it right.
This rom is not a quick look-see like others that you may went thru.

Dave

joe_mcp

Dec 7, 2010
Thanks for the warning!

I know it's really a matter of opinion but does this ROM add much over what a Gingerbread ROM would offer?