Zenithink c97 Update Problems, How to Root

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Christian Troy hasn't had an update lately. Is android 4.3 in the works? Thanks.
He said the 0726 was probably the last for CM10.1...

He is working on 4.3, but he is only sharing (password protected) with those who donated to him in the past, and not new donators... I never had any money to donate, but I spent a lot of time trying to help people in his threads, I asked him if I could get the password, and he said no, it wouldn't be fair to those who had donated money to him....

His CM10.2/android 4.3 thread on DragonDevs (for those who previously donated to him) - http://dragondevs.com/index.php?/to...enithink-aml8726mx-devices-update-2013-08-14/

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
Like most, I don't have extra money either. I read his comments from your link. Of course his work is appreciated his work whether money is donated or not. Nobody thinks anyone's a whore. There will always be updates. If we donate now, will we qualify for the next update?

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Like most, I don't have extra money either. I read his comments from your link. Of course his work is appreciated his work whether money is donated or not. Nobody thinks anyone's a whore. There will always be updates. If we donate now, will we qualify for the next update?
I really don't know, but from his posts, I would think not.....

The 0726 CM 10.1 ROM performs pretty well for me, and that's what I'm using on my C93 1f.... I'm still using ICS on my C97...

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
When I mentioned donating now for the next update, I didn't really want to do that. Like I said, I don't have the money to spare. Being there will always be updates, I was, facetiously, trying to make a point. Unsuccessfully, I guess. I too am using 726 com 10.1 on my C97. It work great! I am grateful to Christian Troy, and you for what you added, for work well done. But, I enjoy investigating with new systems.

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
When I mentioned donating now for the next update, I didn't really want to do that. Like I said, I don't have the money to spare. Being there will always be updates, I was, facetiously, trying to make a point. Unsuccessfully, I guess. I too am using 726 com 10.1 on my C97. It work great! I am grateful to Christian Troy, and you for what you added, for work well done. But, I enjoy investigating with new systems.
My bad...
forehead-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif

Well anyways, looks like someone pissed him off and he dropped support for CM10.2 and now removed the passwords....
http://dragondevs.com/index.php?/to...-aml8726mx-devices-update-2013-08-14/?p=24094
I think I made myself pretty clear saying that this is only a reward for who donated PREVIOUSLY. I've posted sources so if you're not OK with that you can build it by your own. If somebody donates just with the intent of having access to the rom will see its donation refunded for the reason that unless somebody else I don't sell anything.
Just wait, in some weeks it may become public, or I could even not release anything else, this is just some sort of preview for my supporters, they had showed me their appretiation and they deserve a reward (in fact people that have donated 1€, of which paypal takes 0.40€, had access as well), it's just something to cut off leechers, my next step will be stopping releasing stuff.
You're right, great effort, I just spent 1k hours on this ****, considering even the time spent offering support on the forums. If I had to be payed for all this job I'd be typing this message from Maldives.

edit: you know what? Now I'll remove all passwords and all this sh** will be discontinued. Enjoy.

Last edited:

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
I've been away awhile..... Well, It looks like things have settled down Christian Troy's world. He sure swears a lot for a man with a 1st name of Christian. Nobody needs to swear to get their point across. It's not profressional.
Anyway, I've been trying to find all the files need to upgrade my c97 to cyanogenmod 10.2 jb 4.3(common, rom, gapps,and compatibility). Plus your storage adjustment. There are so many pages on CT's forum, I get lost. So, please show me the way. Thanks

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
I've been away awhile..... Well, It looks like things have settled down Christian Troy's world. He sure swears a lot for a man with a 1st name of Christian. Nobody needs to swear to get their point across. It's not profressional.
Anyway, I've been trying to find all the files need to upgrade my c97 to cyanogenmod 10.2 jb 4.3(common, rom, gapps,and compatibility). Plus your storage adjustment. There are so many pages on CT's forum, I get lost. So, please show me the way. Thanks
[rom] CyanogenMod 10.2 (4.3) - update 2013-09-07 - SlateDroid.com

If you appreciate my work and would like to support me with a small donation you can click on button.
If every happy user of this rom would just donate something I could invest more time in all these Android projects.

Features

* USB GPS support (cp210x and pl2303)
* Xbox 360 gamepad support (xpad)
* PS3 USB gamepad support (hid-sony)
* Generic / chinese (Pantherlord / GreenAsia) gamepads support (hid-pl and hid-gaff)
* OpenVPN support (tun)
* Veno congestion control algorithm
* USB audio (untested)
* (optional) USB bluetooth

Install Instructions

Follow the device specific instructions. Here you find the patches that modifies the open source part, while the device tree is not public, there's just the jb-mr1 one on my github. Don't ask for jb-mr2 device tree because I won't release it.
Please, DO NOT re-host or mirror these files.

Ainol Elf2 / Aurora2

* Grab TWRP recovery from
this thread, unzip it and follow its instructions.
* Put rom (cm-10.2-$DATE-UNOFFICIAL-elf2.zip), gapps (gapps-jb43-core-amlogic.zip) and compatibility zip on the microsd card.
* Turn on the tablet keeping pressed VOL- and POWER untill you see the green droid.
* Once booted to TWRP enter "Wipe" menu and swipe to perform a factory reset.
* Flash rom (cm-10.2-$DATE-UNOFFICIAL-elf2.zip), gapps (gapps-jb43-core-amlogic.zip) and compatibility zip.
* Now select "Reboot system".
* Enjoy CyanogenMod 10.2!

Aurora2 rc8
Elf2 rc8

Ainol Fire (TM, QM and NP)

* This compatibility zip is based on Feiyu 0506v5 kernel so you have to flash that ROM before.
* Put rom (cm-10.2-$DATE-UNOFFICIAL-elf2.zip), gapps (gapps-jb43-core-amlogic.zip) and compatibility zip on the microsd card.
* Turn on the tablet keeping pressed VOL- and POWER untill you see the green droid.
* Flash rom (cm-10.2-$DATE-UNOFFICIAL-elf2.zip), gapps (gapps-jb43-core-amlogic.zip) and compatibility zip.

Fire QM rc11
Fire TM rc11
Fire NP rc11

Ainol Hero

* This compatibility zip is based on Feiyu 0506v2 kernel so you have to flash that ROM before.

Hero rc8

Ainol Crystal

* Put rom (cm-10.2-$DATE-UNOFFICIAL-elf2.zip), gapps (gapps-jb43-core-amlogic.zip),
factory-reset and compatibility zip on the microsd card.
* Flash factory-reset, rom (cm-10.2-$DATE-UNOFFICIAL-elf2.zip), gapps (gapps-jb43-core-amlogic.zip), "singleuser", and compatibility zip.

Crystal 1st batch rc2
Crystal 2nd batch rc2
Crystal 3rd batch rc2

Zenithink C97

* Unrar the "zt-update" rar file and put "zt-update" folder to the root of a microsd.
* Put rom (cm-10.2-$DATE-UNOFFICIAL-elf2.zip), gapps (gapps-jb43-core-amlogic.zip), factory-reset and compatibility zip on the microsd card.
* Turn on the tablet keeping pressed VOL+ and POWER untill you see the green droid.
* Flash factory-reset, rom (cm-10.2-$DATE-UNOFFICIAL-elf2.zip), gapps (gapps-jb43-core-amlogic.zip), "singleuser", and compatibility zip.

Zenithink C97 zt-update rc3
Zenithink C97 rc5

Zenithink C93 1F

* Unrar the "zt-update" rar file and put "zt-update" folder to the root of a microsd.
* Put rom (cm-10.2-$DATE-UNOFFICIAL-elf2.zip), gapps (gapps-jb43-core-amlogic.zip),
* Turn on the tablet keeping pressed BACK and POWER untill you see the green droid.

Zenithink C93 1F zt-update rc2
Zenithink C93 1F rc1

Zenithink C93 2F

* Flash this stock ROM.
* Create a folder named "zt-update" in your microsd and unzip there the recovery.img file
* Turn on the tablet keeping pressed BACK and POWER untill you see the green droid.

Zenithink C93 2F rc2

Mediacom 860S2 - Mediacom 870S2 - Gadmei E8HD

Mediacom 860S2 rc1
Mediacom 870S2 rc1
Gadmei E8HD rc1

ROM

2013-09-07

* Updated upstream sources

ROM - md5sum - singleuser - Gapps (lite)- Gapps (full)

Issues

* Screen will turn black for few milliseconds when the display rotation animation kicks in. It's something cosmetic that doesn't cause any real issue.

FAQs

* If you wanna use a USB bluetooth device flash this zip after each rom update (flash it after the comp zip, practically as last file). It supports only CSR devices. Do not boot with the bluetooth plugged in; plug it once you booted to android.
* WiFi now can stay enabled with display turned off. Note that if WiFi is enabled the tablet won't enter deep sleep so if you're more interestead in battery life instead of an always on WiFi change policy (on "Advanced" WiFi settings) from "Always" to "Never".
* If you don't like the new feature that automatically triggers airplane mode when the display is turned off you can add "ro.disable_auto_airplane_mode=1" to /system/build.prop

Screenshots

ttdQZWgl.png

LDzgyWpl.png

CCVzH1Nl.png
So for the C97 you need to download:
factory-reset
Zenithink C97 zt-update rc3
Zenithink C97 rc5
ROM
singleuser
Gapps (full)
And for the 2GB data partition: Download and replace the kernel and recovery files with these - My Files
And if you want USB Bluetooth support - this
;)

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
So how are you liking CM10.2?

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
I don't know yet. For, I put everything on my 16gb SD. But, TWRP does not recognize the SD card. So, I did a full (not quick) FAT32 format of the card. Then, I put the files back on the card. The result was the same. After some research, I found that this is an issue with earlier versions or TWRP. Is this right? If so, how do I update the TWRP. If the version is not the problem, how do I resolve this?
I always appreciate your assistance.

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
I don't know yet. For, I put everything on my 16gb SD. But, TWRP does not recognize the SD card. So, I did a full (not quick) FAT32 format of the card. Then, I put the files back on the card. The result was the same. After some research, I found that this is an issue with earlier versions or TWRP. Is this right? If so, how do I update the TWRP. If the version is not the problem, how do I resolve this?
I always appreciate your assistance.
Hmmm, are you using CT's original recovery (from here - Zenithink C97 zt-update rc3) or my 2gb data mod of it (from here - My Files)? Maybe I did something wrong? I don't think I did.... This was the latest twrp, as far as know...

From my C93, here are two photos from TWRP -
My sdcard shows up as sdcard -
IMG_1028a.jpg

These are my mounts:
IMG_1030a.jpg

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
I looked in the sd-ext folder for the update files on the SD card; which was empty. From inexperience, I thought the card wasn't being read. From your above image, I tried again and found sdcard/zt-update and "wha-la", all the update files appeared. I did the update and it went smooth. Thank you so much! But if I would have looked around more, I would have found the zt-update. Then, I wouldn't have bothered you. My bad! Please excuse my inexperience.
I don't see the differences between 10.2 and 10.1 yet. But, 10.2 runs great!
Does Mr. Troy still post occasional updates. If so, do you have a link for zenithink devices, so I can keep an eye on it.
Thanks again for your help and your patience with this android novice.

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
I looked in the sd-ext folder for the update files on the SD card; which was empty. From inexperience, I thought the card wasn't being read. From your above image, I tried again and found sdcard/zt-update and "wha-la", all the update files appeared. I did the update and it went smooth. Thank you so much! But if I would have looked around more, I would have found the zt-update. Then, I wouldn't have bothered you. My bad! Please excuse my inexperience.
I don't see the differences between 10.2 and 10.1 yet. But, 10.2 runs great!
Does Mr. Troy still post occasional updates. If so, do you have a link for zenithink devices, so I can keep an eye on it.
Thanks again for your help and your patience with this android novice.
thumbsup-thumbs-up-approve-ok-smiley-emoticon-000283-large.gif

CM 10.2 - [rom] CyanogenMod 10.2 (4.3) - update 2013-09-14 - SlateDroid.com
CM 10.1 - [rom] CyanogenMod 10.1 for Elf II, Aurora II, Crystal, Fire - 2013-09-17 update - SlateDroid.com
& [rom] CyanogenMod 10.1 - AOKP 4.2 compatibility zips for various Zenithink Amlogic 8726-MX devices - SlateDroid.com

Last edited:

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
Thanks for the links. A minor problem: While trying to play a network TV show, I got an error, that Adobe Flash Player was needed. I never noticed that I did not have it. It was included with ICS. Why is it not included with jelly bean 4.3? Can I just install it? Is there an alternative? Thanks

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks for the links. A minor problem: While trying to play a network TV show, I got an error, that Adobe Flash Player was needed. I never noticed that I did not have it. It was included with ICS. Why is it not included with jelly bean 4.3? Can I just install it? Is there an alternative? Thanks
I don't believe Android 4.3 can use Flash, I could be wrong though.... I think that's why HBOgo doesn't work on 4.3... Most apps seem updated for 4.3 with its own built in decoder...

If you find a way for flash to work, please post it!

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
I found this youtube video: "Flash Player For Android 4.2 & 4.3 Jelly Bean"

I installed it. To test it, I uninstalled the android Youtube app and went to the youtube website through the stock android browser. A video played without a problem. I also installed the ABC player for android and, again, it successfully played a TV show. I am not an R & D man, but it appears to be working ok. You, being an way more experience in android, can research this more to determine whether this is valid.

What changes are made when Mr. Troy does a "Updated upstream sources" in an android update?

Last edited by a moderator: