12v car charger??

Tuberocity

Oct 31, 2011
I'm still not convinced or willing to run my $200 tab or my $600 laptop from a $10-$15 adaptor when the DURACELL referred to on Amazon runs $40 or so, puts out out 175 watts for virtually any need that may arise that you have no need of at the moment, and also has the 2.1amp usb charging if you want to charge that route. Wish mine had the usb charge ports, but using the 120 volt outlet does assure you are getting the fastest possible charge, and you can run the device while charging, not sure you can with the usb charge port. Also, if the user DURACELL unit fry's your gear, you have a very large company that is more likely to eat the cost of repairs or replacement! The 3 year warranty speaks volumes as to quality as well. Obviously this is just one opinion, and one experience, that of having 2 phones literally fried from after-market cigarette lighter chargers supplying too much juice, and this can be over a period of time. The charger may just be slightly off, and supplying just a little too much juicewhich will eventually fry your electronics. Luckily, I purchased the phone warranty on these phones, and was covered, but if there is a question as to replacement or repair under warranty while using an inexpensive charger, I, personally, would opt for the best branded charger I could afford.

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
I'm still not convinced or willing to run my $200 tab or my $600 laptop from a $10-$15 adaptor when the DURACELL referred to on Amazon runs $40 or so, puts out out 175 watts for virtually any need that may arise that you have no need of at the moment, and also has the 2.1amp usb charging if you want to charge that route. Wish mine had the usb charge ports, but using the 120 volt outlet does assure you are getting the fastest possible charge, and you can run the device while charging, not sure you can with the usb charge port. Also, if the user DURACELL unit fry's your gear, you have a very large company that is more likely to eat the cost of repairs or replacement! The 3 year warranty speaks volumes as to quality as well. Obviously this is just one opinion, and one experience, that of having 2 phones literally fried from after-market cigarette lighter chargers supplying too much juice, and this can be over a period of time. The charger may just be slightly off, and supplying just a little too much juicewhich will eventually fry your electronics. Luckily, I purchased the phone warranty on these phones, and was covered, but if there is a question as to replacement or repair under warranty while using an inexpensive charger, I, personally, would opt for the best branded charger I could afford.

No offense, but there's some basic misunderstandings of how electricity works going on here. I'm certainly not trying to tell you what to do, but I have ISCET certification and almost 20 years of experience troubleshooting and repairing consumer electronics (though now I'm in a different field). Please feel free to do whatever you wish, but others may want to know that you only need 2A @ 5V for maximum charging. The device cannot in any way handle 120 volts, that voltage is stepped down to 5V by the adapter, and the device is only able to draw 2A, which is a total of 10 watts. You can indeed run the device while charging from the USB, I do it everyday while driving. I have no idea of what you connected, or how you connected it, in the past which fried, I do know that the most common problems with electronic devices occur due to lack of maintenance and misuse.

Again, I am in no way telling you what to do, merely trying to ensure that all of the info is available to other people who may read this.

Last edited:

Fuzzyp

Oct 14, 2011
Thanks all,very interesting and informative.A further question on subject,maybe someone answered but to be specific..We use several inverters of different power wattage.
The one in the truck is 1750Watts at 115v.It is a modified sine wave as opposed to a True sine wave.Can I use the charger and cable that is furnished with the Vizio by plugging into a 115v outlet that is powered by this inverter...Thanks again

Fuzzyp

Oct 14, 2011
Just received my 3rd email from Vizio support..Guess I hadn't made myself clear before.Anyway I asked about using a cheap/er inverter(modified sine wave) and using the furnished 115v charger..They said it should be fine..