3.2 update = Mid September

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
After a little over 40 hours of experience with the 3.2 update, I am a little worried why I got this update at all. It has not given me great advantages, but some serious disadvantages:
1. Wifi connection is not as spontaneous as it used to be. Often wifi data link is not established in spite of various attempts.
2. I have been using three browsers : a. The stock browser, b. Firefox c. Opera mini. I was finding the stock browser to be the fastest of the three, Firefox coming next and opera mini, least responsive all the time often not connecting. After the update to 3.2, the stock browser is hanging. Firefox alone is coming to my rescue.
3. Photo attachments to my gmail are refusing to download.
These are new problems to my tab. Wish to know if someone has similar bad experience after the 3.2 update and a solution as well.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

I had similar problems back when 3.1 came out.

I could occasionally have wifi take forever to connect, and the tablet would take a long time to
wake up. This made lots of things misbehave.

For some reason, leaving bluetooth on solved this, an the wifi would be on instantly. (Bluetooth and
Wifi are built into the same radio chipset on the most devices).

Then I had to clear my browser caches to get rid of the broken pages that were caused by the slow or
misbehaving wifi, and then everything was fine again.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
My god... I still don`t receive the 3.2 update, but - apparently - this update has some problems...

All updates cause problems for some percentage of the devices out there.
3.1 was such a good release I'm amazed everyone is whining for 3.2.

vknidhi

Jul 5, 2011
I had similar problems back when 3.1 came out.

I could occasionally have wifi take forever to connect, and the tablet would take a long time to
wake up. This made lots of things misbehave.

For some reason, leaving bluetooth on solved this, an the wifi would be on instantly. (Bluetooth and
Wifi are built into the same radio chipset on the most devices).

Then I had to clear my browser caches to get rid of the broken pages that were caused by the slow or
misbehaving wifi, and then everything was fine again.

Thanks a million to Icebike! My problem is solved.

Desso

Jul 18, 2011
The X2, Droid 3, and Bionic all use the Tegra 2..

The bionic has dual-core TI OMAP processor running at 1 GHz with 1 Gig of DDR2 ram. I have one and it flat out FLIES!

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
There are many things that I can think of that would consist of me manning up and toughing it out. An Acer update does not register in the top 100 of any of those things. I really find it interesting how many excuses are made here for a complete lack of follow through on the part of Acer. In all honesty manning up and dealing with features that are broken and or don't work is not something that should be offered as an viable option for anyone who has purchased their hardware.

Considering that tablets are still in the early adoption phase and few people have any idea what to do with them outside audio/video consumption, web browsing, and GPS navigation, the fact that some companies have some issues with the hardware/software configurations (something STILL in its infancy) is not surprising nor does it constitute a lack of follow through. My Acer has had 3 updates since I purchased it only four months ago. My android phone has not received a single update since I bought it in February of this year. All in all, Acer is doing a damn good job. If you wanna be petulant and impatiant with this new technology, then return it to the store and wait 5 years for it to mature, otherwise enjoy the device for what it has and what it can do and stop complaining that its version number is .1 lower than some other peoples.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Considering that tablets are still in the early adoption phase and few people have any idea what to do with them outside audio/video consumption, web browsing, and GPS navigation, the fact that some companies have some issues with the hardware/software configurations (something STILL in its infancy) is not surprising nor does it constitute a lack of follow through. My Acer has had 3 updates since I purchased it only four months ago. My android phone has not received a single update since I bought it in February of this year. All in all, Acer is doing a damn good job. If you wanna be petulant and impatiant with this new technology, then return it to the store and wait 5 years for it to mature, otherwise enjoy the device for what it has and what it can do and stop complaining that its version number is .1 lower than some other peoples.

My thoughts exactly.
:cool:

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
I agree.. didn't think it was worth typing. And I found another article about 4, I will post a link.

'Edit' http://goo.gl/6qQAp
I hope it works..

Last edited:

leemstradamus

Sep 5, 2011
ObsidianBlk really another "get on my self righteous finger wagging soapbox comment"? In all honesty how many times do I need to state that I have some issues with my device that have been seen on other peoples device and my hope is that the 3.2 update will remedy these headaches. I know at least for sure that I can gain access to my external sd card from windows which I can't do on 3.1. Nobody gives a flying fig that other people have the update so I somehow feel bad that I am left out. I have things that I would like to do with my device that I can't on 3.1. So please keep your snarky comments to yourself!

Last edited:

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
ObsidianBlk really another "get on my self righteous finger wagging soapbox comment"? In all honesty how many times do I need to state that I have some issues with my device that have been seen on other peoples device and my hope is that the 3.2 update will remedy these headaches. I know at least for sure that I can gain access to my external sd card from windows which I can't do on 3.1. Nobody gives a flying fig that other people have the update so I somehow feel bad that I am left out. I have things that I would like to do with my device that I can't on 3.1. So please keep your snarky comments to yourself!

If you wish to bash a company for your misfortunes in a public forum, then you must be willing to accept those with contradictory opinions to your own especially when that public forum is dedicated to the device for whoms company your are attacking. I apologize for any personally offence you took for my last comment and I'm sorry your device is giving you frustration, but I stand by my original statement. This technology is new. To put down a company due to issues (felt across the board, not just with Acer) with software/hardware that's only been around for two years at best, and comparing its failings with software/hardware that's been around for two decades at least demonstraits a sever misunderstanding of the industry. As I said, in 5 years tablets may be far and away a more stable product than it is today, so if you want something more stable... wait.

As for 3.2 and SD cards... the a500 has been able to read SD cards from the beginning (with varying degrees of success) while other 3.x tablets could not. 3.2 is promising the ability to read SD cards for those devices that currently cannot. As such, I don't know how much better the SD card support will be for the a500 as I think it has an Acer driver for SD cards. Beyond that I heard 3.2 is mostly performance weeks rather than new features.

retief

Sep 22, 2011
Anybody in the US seen the update yet? I keep checking, as I have not seen a notice, via the Check for Updates and nothing yet.

Thanks!

svchost

Aug 26, 2011
I don't think they've even begun trying to deliver to the US, and I have a feeling we won't be getting our update until well into October. At this point, they might as well bust their humps to deliver 4.0 before anyone else does. It's the least they could do to make it up to the people who wanted and expected the 3.2 update back in August.

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Yes I agree, from what I've heard 3.2 wouldn't be worth unrooting for anyway. 4 should be the jump we've all been waiting for.

jwlary

Jul 30, 2011
Anybody in the US seen the update yet? I keep checking, as I have not seen a notice, via the Check for Updates and nothing yet.

Thanks!
You can throw this into the "take it for what it's worth" category, but here is my reply from Acer support about when the update would be available for US customers:

================================================================
Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
When will the HC 3.2 update be released to US customers?

Discussion Thread
Response (Jayaram K) - 09/22/2011 04:38 PM

Thank you for contacting Acer America. My name is Jayaram and Badge Number GWSI1195. I'll be happy to assist you.

I understand that you have an query regarding HC 3.2 update. I understand your concern. Let me see what best I can do for you.

Please note that for the Iconia Tab A500, the 3.2 update is targeted for late September or on early October. We have no exact date and this will be available via FOTA push.

I hope that you find this response informative.

For further clarification please feel free to visit our web site Acer Support: Welcome to Acer Support

Thank you for contacting Acer.

Have a great day!

Respectfully,
Acer America Online Technical Support

Jeff.

svchost

Aug 26, 2011
You can throw this into the "take it for what it's worth" category, but here is my reply from Acer support about when the update would be available for US customers:

Subject
When will the HC 3.2 update be released to US customers?

Discussion Thread
Response (Jayaram K) - 09/22/2011 04:38 PM

Thank you for contacting Acer America. My name is Jayaram and Badge Number GWSI1195. I'll be happy to assist you.

I understand that you have an query regarding HC 3.2 update. I understand your concern. Let me see what best I can do for you.

Please note that for the Iconia Tab A500, the 3.2 update is targeted for late September or on early October. We have no exact date and this will be available via FOTA push.

I hope that you find this response informative.

For further clarification please feel free to visit our web site Acer Support: Welcome to Acer Support

Thank you for contacting Acer.

Have a great day!

Respectfully,
Acer America Online Technical Support

Jeff.

So first it was August 25, then September 10, then Mid-Late September, now its late September-Early October. This is absolutely mindbogglingly unbelievable. I can't believe Acer would come out and announce not 1, not 2, but 3 sets of dates and fail on each one, then not even tell us what is going on. They should be issuing apologies and partial refunds for this; it's that obnoxious at this point. Don't promise an update at all if you don't intend to deliver on it when you say you are going to.

If one of you idiots comes out and tells me to stop complaining because "Acer is the best" and "they just want to make sure it works, do you want a broken product?", I am going to rip your head off and take a steaming crap down your neck. They have had ample time to correct this and they have not done so. They should be working around the clock 16 hour days at this point until this thing is done and released to the public. They should beef up their servers, work with a company like Amazon using their EC2 architecture to deliver this to everyone very quickly. The time for excuses has been over since September 10th, I don't want to hear another one from you apologist nimrods.