5G, Magnetic Sensor, And WiFi When Traveling

Christine Brady

Dec 6, 2019
Questions please... I'd like to buy a tablet that isn't 5g ready as I don't wish to have 5g beamed directly at me. And I would like the tablet to have a magnetic sensor so I could download EMF detector apps.

1. Is it easy to determine if a tablet is 5g ready before purchase?

2. Are there any relatively inexpensive ($125 - $150) tablets that have magnetic sensors?

3. Will a tablet purchased in the US be able to access WiFi when traveling worldwide... for example, in Germany, Rome, Israel, Austria, NZ, etc?

Thank you!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
5G is so new that you're very unlikely to find any that can support it. Despite claims, US carrier 5G networks aren't even remotely close to ubiquitous. Tablets of all kinds, regardless of price, usually do not come with magnetic sensors or GPS receivers. Mine doesn't and it was a relatively inexpensive device when I purchased it. The only way I can tell North from South on the darn thing is through Android's network location service.

A tablet purchased in the US will work on European networks, unless the European networks are using frequencies unavailable to the US unit. For example, 2.4GHz WiFi in the US has 12 channels. In Europe, there are 14. Networks using channels 13 and 14 would thus not be available to you.

Based upon this information, you're pretty much limited to using a smartphone, as they have magnetic sensors. Based upon the way you phrased your post, it's rather ironic that you have to use a device that generates EMF to be able to detect it. But then again EMF is one of those things I never worried about, having more pressing concerns to deal with.

Christine Brady

Dec 6, 2019
"Networks using channels 13 and 14 would thus not be available to you."

So maybe 80% of the German WiFi networks would be available on a tablet purchased in the US?

What about Ecuador and Israel, please?

Thank you.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Generally, the expanded channels can be found everywhere except North America. If you have a specific country in mind, you'll have to do some research to see what they have available.