A YOOPER, about to dance with an android

poikaa

Jun 12, 2011
Greetings! Name here is poikaa.... Not yet an owner but looking for a 2.2 or newer with a capacitive touch. Kinda boots the cheaper tabs off my list.... what is left are, XOOM, iPad2, Galaxy tab (7 or 10 inch) and possibly the Aesus or Acer
I reside in Michigan, way up North, where Green Bay is considered a Southern place! I'm often mistaken for a Canadian and that is fine by me!

poikaa

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mar 30, 2011
Welcome! I have the 3G xoom and love it. It does everything I need it to do and more.

poikaa

Jun 12, 2011
I'm going to hold off for new newer version this fall sometime, that is for the XOOM.... But what I did was to take a cheaper plunge and I ordered this....
[h=1]TABLET PC 7" CAPACITIVE ANDROID 2.3[/h] (Sorry about the fonts!) From Amazon and from a third party vendor. I am hopeful I did not go the wrong way but I had 100 bucks burning a hole in my pocket! If I need to upgrade the ROM or OS I'll be asking questions.... Here is the first and I may ask it in other threads.... Is 2 Gigs sufficient for the SD card?

poikaa

Lady LaMothe

Jun 14, 2011
Depends on what you want to do with it. Won't get many videos or a large music library on 2 gigs. Remember that a 2 gig mp3 player is considered tiny these days. A tablet will be similar. Though if you don't want to install stuff, just browse the web, you should be fine.

poikaa

Jun 12, 2011
This is a follow up on my order from Amazon.... The tablet came much faster than expected, five days and in good order.... Problem is that it is the wrong item! Seems that the item description, a 7 inch tablet with capacitive screen and Android 2.2 that I ordered, turned out to be a Maylong 7" resistive touch with 1.6 Andriod!
I contacted Amazon and they told me to email the vendor and wait three days before any action takes place with Amazon's A to Z coverage. Now for the good? part.... Since I have the Maylong for a time I thought I would try it out like a test drive in a Yugo!
Can we say slow? but it does work and the WiFi works very good but the apps are a waste and tough to find any for it, no Android Market. Music player works but looks like a cheap knock off of an Ipod. Touch screen is not too bad but is jerky and slow, the styli works best.... Works nicely with a mouse and the cat 5 internet is decent. The SD micro (2 gigs) works good but seems the tablet is iffy with it being there. I can access all sorts of folders of the tablet's system but I cannot do much with them, I think I might be able to root this device but since I may be returning it a moot point.... My pocket drive works with it quite well but the tablet will not transfer, I can only do that with my desk top PC.
So my question is.... Is this Maylong worth doing the root? or should I see if I can manage 23 piddly plunks, skipping it in the nearest pond?

poikaa

poikaa

Jun 12, 2011
Being disgusted with the Maylong, still trying to recoup my money, I went and ordered the ViewSonic G-tab.... I think I can live with this one! About the "bait and switch" Maylong, it does play music, a mouse works, takes pics as a mirror image?, It will do email through a cat 5 or WiFi...but it sure is a POS!

poikaa

beastman

May 8, 2011
If you are rooted your viewsonic gtablet you can get the google android market. I'm running Cyanogenmod 7.1.0 RC 1 on mine. You can get a docking station to add ethernet and hdmi, or you can get a cable to connect gtousing hdmi.

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

poikaa

Jun 12, 2011
If you are rooted your viewsonic gtablet you can get the google android market. I'm running Cyanogenmod 7.1.0 RC 1 on mine. You can get a docking station to add ethernet and hdmi, or you can get a cable to connect gtousing hdmi.

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

Thanks beastman! I have the G-tab now and it is light years ahead of the Maylong, you live?..... (something from Neil Young?) I am looking into the new ROM (Gingerbread) for the G-t and studying carefully the procedure as this is something new.... My wife has been eying mine up so there may be a second one very soon!

poikaa

Last edited: