A500 Update to 3.2.1

tveith

Feb 7, 2012
Hello - just bought a new Iconia A500. In the settings it shows that the tablet is using Android 3.0.1. When I select Update Software, it tells me there are no updates available. Any thoughts on how I can get this tablet on the latest version of Android?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Register it and wait.

They might have stopped sending 3.2.1 because 4.0.1 is expected RSN.

In general updates are rolled out by region (country), but it can take quite a while for them to arrive on any given tablet.

tveith

Feb 7, 2012
thanks - i did register it today - so i guess i'll play the waiting game :( thanks for your reply.

BDiddy

Aug 19, 2011
If registering still doesn't work, you could try something that worked for my Droid Incredible phone when I was waiting for the Gingerbread update--manually change the date to 1 year ahead. That fooled the phone into thinking that it was way behind in its update, and it asked me right away to update. No idea if it'll work for Honeycomb, but it's worth a try, and you can always change the date back to automatic.

tveith

Feb 7, 2012
I did try to push the date forward by one year - but for some reason it wouldn't hold the change. Guess I have no choice but to wait and hope that there's not something wrong with my tablet.

tveith

Feb 7, 2012
I saw the announcement by Acer that the A500 is not being updated to ICS until April. Sucks that I'm stuck at 3.0.1 for another two months. :(

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
As Icebike suggests updates are region controlled. It will take at least 48 to 72 hours after you have registered your tablet. Wait 5 days or a week and you may get an OTA notification that an update is available. Your will receive the latest update.

As for ICS there are app compatiblity issues and a lots of apps are not working. By the time ACER releases ICS for the A500 more apps will be available. Just relax and enjoy HC and the many apps out there.

tveith

Feb 7, 2012
Thanks to all for your responses - FINALLY I got the OTA upgrade to 3.2 last night - now waiting for ICS - which I suppose won't be until April.

Cheers